PDA

View Full Version : Former French President Jacques Chirac mauled by his clinincally depressed poodle

valdore
Jan 23, 2009, 08:31 AM
Article Link (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1126136/Former-French-President-Chirac-hospitalised-mauling-clinically-depressed-poodle.html?ITO=1490)

Former French President Chirac hospitalised after mauling by his clinically depressed poodle

By Ian Sparks
Last updated at 5:45 PM on 21st January 2009

Former French president Jacques Chirac was rushed to hospital after being mauled by his own 'clinically depressed' pet dog.

The 76-year-old statesman was savaged by his white Maltese dog - which suffers from frenzied fits and is being treated with anti-depressants.

The animal, named Sumo, had become increasingly violent over the past years and was prone to making 'vicious, unprovoked attacks', Chirac's wife Bernadette said.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/01/21/article-0-00712B7A00000258-678_468x286.jpg

Former French President Jacques Chirac pictured in his car with his pet, Sumo, the white Maltese Poodle (file photo). The president has been bitten by his dog

The former president, who ruled France for 12 years until 2007, was taken to hospital in Paris where he was treated as an outpatient and sent home, VSD magazine reported.

Mrs Chirac said: 'The dog went for him for no apparent reason.

'We were already aware the animal was unpredictable and is actually being treated with pills for depression.

'My husband was bitten quite badly, but he is certain to make a full recovery over the coming weeks.'

The former French First Lady did not reveal where on his body Chirac was bitten.

The pet, named after the Japanese form of wrestling, was a gift to the Chiracs from their grandson Martin.

Recent polls have shown that since leaving office Chirac is now regarded as one of the most popular politicians in France, liked by 70 per cent of people.

In the last days of his presidency, he was much less popular, liked by just 50 per cent of the population.

.Andy
Jan 23, 2009, 08:34 AM
I thought this might be from the Onion but then I checked the link. Daily Mail. I was close :).

SFStateStudent
Jan 23, 2009, 09:27 AM
Bad, bad, bad depressed dog...

GSMiller
Jan 23, 2009, 10:03 AM
Some gift.

question fear
Jan 23, 2009, 11:59 AM
What does it say about us when we are giving our POODLES anti-depressants?

arkitect
Jan 23, 2009, 12:07 PM
Just how bad can a Maltese poodle "maul" someone? Unless Chirac was tied down I'd think a hard kick or two would sort the psycho poodle out?

Serves him right though… who in his right mind keeps a poodle as a pet? :rolleyes:

Sun Baked
Jan 23, 2009, 12:09 PM
When you go into politics, your pet is your best friend.

You know it's bad when your last friend tries to take your balls off.

SFStateStudent
Jan 23, 2009, 12:11 PM
My experience with my brother's two poodles has been one of fear. I've seen them fight with each other and the larger one usually gets pinned by the smaller but extremely more violent poodle. The only dogs I'm actually afraid of 24/7. I walk into his house and I've had his poodles chase me and attempt to bite through my blue jeans, b/c I'm invading their space...:eek:

redAPPLE
Jan 23, 2009, 12:39 PM
like one poster stated, a good kick would do the job LOL.

not saying i am cruel to animals, but a dog needs to know, when it doesn't have to try to bite me...

SFStateStudent
Jan 23, 2009, 12:48 PM
I like the old adage "don't bite the hand that feeds you!" With that said, I've never fed my brother's dogs, EVER! :eek:

dmr727
Jan 23, 2009, 12:49 PM
Is it wrong for me to be finding this absolutely hilarious? Heh!

.Andy
Jan 23, 2009, 01:03 PM
What does it say about us when we are giving our POODLES anti-depressants?
We're not scientologists?

Abstract
Jan 23, 2009, 01:24 PM
^^^Don't act so glib, you....you glib!

*starts jumping up-and-down on couch*

NightGeometry
Jan 24, 2009, 02:08 AM
As far as I remember poodles were bred as gun dogs, and all the gun dog breeds I've come across are (or can be) fairly vicious. Maybe vicious is the wrong term, gun dogs tend to need a lot of exercise, and if they don't get it they can get a bit over-zealous...

(I grew up with Springer spaniels, the big ones not those little pretend dogs, very very active working dogs, one of ours was an absolute beast, but terrified of our little kitten).

carlgo
Jan 24, 2009, 11:47 AM
Why would you even want that pos dog, anyway?

Why is it still alive?

Why would anyone let that maul you? How is that even possible?

Best outcome: Dog goes to "farm". Owner gets mental health checkup and any necessary drugs. Owner gets nice dog from pound that deserves to live.

pooky
Jan 24, 2009, 11:52 AM
As far as I remember poodles were bred as gun dogs, and all the gun dog breeds I've come across are (or can be) fairly vicious. Maybe vicious is the wrong term, gun dogs tend to need a lot of exercise, and if they don't get it they can get a bit over-zealous...

It's true, not to mention that miniaturized versions of working breeds often have intensified behavior problems.

As for how it happens... he's 76, so I imagine he's not all that quick. The animal is his pet (meaning he's not likely to react quickly to kick it). The small, quick animal often has the advantage over the big, slow one, especially when the big slow one wants to minimize harm to the small one.

In other words, he didn't want to kill his dog, he wasn't expecting it, and those things can move damn fast. Ever seen a sparrow mobbing a hawk? Same thing.

Abstract
Jan 24, 2009, 12:15 PM
As for how it happens... he's 76, so I imagine he's not all that quick. The animal is his pet...

And he's French.

Lord Blackadder
Jan 24, 2009, 04:03 PM
I'm not one for animal cruelty, but I can say that I would never let a dog that size accomplish anything that could be described as a "mauling" on me.

That dog's so small even a septuagenarian Frenchman could fight it off without trouble...:rolleyes::D

JNB
Jan 24, 2009, 04:10 PM
He's French. I'd want to maul him too if I wasn't heavily medicated… :p