Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
My old 120GB hard drive seemed to be flaky, and I needed the increased capacity, so I upgraded to a 500GB hard drive on my white MacBook. Install was not hard at all, I formatted and partitioned the drive, but I can't seem to install MacOS X (10.5) on it from the DVD's that came with my MacBook. It will boot to the installer DVD, allow me to select the hard drive, and starts the install. However, each time it ends with something along the lines of "Error verifying Essentials package", and advises me to contact the software manufacturer. (Strange that it advises contacting the "software manufacturer" rather than "Apple.") Any ideas what this might be or a possible workaround? The DVD is pristine, no evidence scratches. I also had problems earlier performing an Archive & Install on the old drive, but I thought this was because it ran out of room.

I can also boot the MacBook through my old drive, attached to a USB enclosure. Can that drive be used to install a new system?

Thanks!

Dave

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
Hey Dave -

Why don't you just clone the old drive to the new drive? Use SuperDuper (free/trial version will work) or Carbon Copy Cloner. When you're done, the new installed drive will work just like your old one... only bigger. -GDF

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
I was thinking of doing this, but because of all the issues I had with the old drive (occasional crashes that would correct with an archive-and-install) I wanted to try starting from scratch; is there any way to re-install from the hard drive that came with my computer?

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.