Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macarlos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
Hi there

I use 10.2.8 on a PB Ti 17". My problemo is that when I try to log into my ordinary admin account it loads nicely, but as soon as it's done the system throws me out back to the login screen. I figure some little file has gone corrupt.

I've already figured out that I can log in as a different user or root to copy my files to a new login account, but it has to be an easier way! I've tried to repair permissions and disc but it doesn't do anything. Do anyone know what little file to throw away or what else to do in order to fix this?

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
It's almost certainly something in the user's Library folder located at /Users/[Username]/Library. Since none of these files are essential, use a trial and error method, moving a few folders at a time from the Library, to find out what folder is the problem (most likely the Preferences folder, you should try moving this first). You can move back uncorrupted folders, but make sure you keep a record of which ones they are.

Now go into the corrupt folder and use trial and error again to find out which file is the problem. The fastest method is to move half the files, next time half of the corrupt half etc.

Also note that when you log on to check if it works, new files will probably be created in the Library, and when you try to move things back, it will ask if you want to replace things. It's OK to say yes here.

macarlos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
The corrupt file found "com.apple.scheduler.plist". You were right it was in the /Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences folder. Thanx a lot HexMonkey for pointing me in the right direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.