Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfkeith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Does anyone know of any sort of app that works as a call screener or filter? I was a long time BB user and had a program called icallmanager that would allow me to set different presets to block certain lists of callers. Is there anything like this for the iphone, or is it not possible for apps to run in the background such as this.

Thanks

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Does anyone know of any sort of app that works as a call screener or filter? I was a long time BB user and had a program called icallmanager that would allow me to set different presets to block certain lists of callers. Is there anything like this for the iphone, or is it not possible for apps to run in the background such as this.

Thanks

I don't believe there is one as apps are not allowed to run in the background. Kinda sucks but they'll loosen it up...hopefully...

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I don't believe there is one as apps are not allowed to run in the background.
Really? Because is seems like the AIM app runs in the background, at least other people can see me as being online. AIM even has a pref setting to sign-off on exit.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Really? Because is seems like the AIM app runs in the background, at least other people can see me as being online. AIM even has a pref setting to sign-off on exit.

AIM is storing all the information on their servers, then when you open the app up the data has been saved saying that you were already logged in, then it asks the server for all the information that it missed while the app was closed.

Apple should be providing a push notification service the first in.... ummm 6 months ago... oh wait that never happened... :mad:

Apps cannot run in the background... Sorry, that's just how it is.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
But the AIM app shows me as being online to others when I return to the home screen, unless I check the pref settings to sign-off on exit.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
But the AIM app shows me as being online to others when I return to the home screen, unless I check the pref settings to sign-off on exit.

You are online, on their servers. The actual app is not running in the background.

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY

Thanks

When I was covering the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas (I write for iPhone Life Magazine - http://www.SmartphoneMag.com/iPhone/Todd.Bernhard) there was a vendor (Newber, http://www.MyNewber.com) showing a call manager iPhone app that was pretty powerful. They were having trouble getting it approved...their website even has a petition and a timer showing 114+ days waiting for approval. The app allowed you to transfer a call to a landline phone without the end user noticing. It uses GPS to remember what landline phones are nearby! You get a Newber number and give that to contacts. You can always accept calls with your iPhone's native number, but it allows you to send Newber calls direct to voicemail.

KRAPPS

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
When I was covering the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas (I write for iPhone Life Magazine - http://www.SmartphoneMag.com/iPhone/Todd.Bernhard) there was a vendor (Newber, http://www.MyNewber.com) showing a call manager iPhone app that was pretty powerful. They were having trouble getting it approved...their website even has a petition and a timer showing 114+ days waiting for approval. The app allowed you to transfer a call to a landline phone without the end user noticing. It uses GPS to remember what landline phones are nearby! You get a Newber number and give that to contacts. You can always accept calls with your iPhone's native number, but it allows you to send Newber calls direct to voicemail.

Wow - great info ... something I would purchase for sure ... keep us posted as to what happens

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.