Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
I am starting to wonder if Apple will ever 'fix' or upgrade the screen(s) in Rev B to the same level as rev A or if this screen is something we have to accept when we buy a MBA?

Cant make up my mind whether to buy the Rev B or not due to the screen. a last gen MBP glossy has a better screen as far as I have seen.

What do you think?

Constantinos

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2008
Athens, Greece
I am starting to wonder if Apple will ever 'fix' or upgrade the screen(s) in Rev B to the same level as rev A or if this screen is something we have to accept when we buy a MBA?

Cant make up my mind whether to buy the Rev B or not due to the screen. a last gen MBP glossy has a better screen as far as I have seen.

What do you think?

I think this screen story for Rev B is starting to get over exploded. Have been using since end December a Rev B, migrating from a Rev A (March 2008 production) and very sincerely there is nothing to complain about the screen quality / brightness / whatever (let alone the famous thin lines!). The screen at least in my machine and the 4 others I examined at UK Apple Stores (Regent Street and Westfield) demonstrated none of the problems advertised so much in this forum.

Best thing is to go see for yourself and decide when and if you buy!

faxao

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
Milano, Italy
I think this screen story for Rev B is starting to get over exploded. Have been using since end December a Rev B, migrating from a Rev A (March 2008 production) and very sincerely there is nothing to complain about the screen quality / brightness / whatever (let alone the famous thin lines!). The screen at least in my machine and the 4 others I examined at UK Apple Stores (Regent Street and Westfield) demonstrated none of the problems advertised so much in this forum.

Best thing is to go see for yourself and decide when and if you buy!

Ditto....I have just bought a Rev B in London and the screen (Model 9C90) is just perfect (no lines) !!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I had a ****** rev a (thanks apple you freaking ******s):rolleyes:. Now have a great rev b. No screen issues. Same great screen.

mikey28

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
I had a rev A 1.6/80G and just got (from Amazon) my Rev B 1.8/128 (week 48)
I had the two side by side, and the rev B screen is just a bit brighter and "bluer". The rev A seemed a bit more yellow.

Also my rev B does NOT have the lines (I am grateful). It so so much snappier; when I would click on an icon to open a program on my rev A the icon would bounce and eventually open. There is no bouncing on Rev B. The program opens.

I am very pleased. I think you should go to Apple store and decide for yourself.

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I had a rev A 1.6/80G and just got (from Amazon) my Rev B 1.8/128 (week 48)
I had the two side by side, and the rev B screen is just a bit brighter and "bluer". The rev A seemed a bit more yellow.

Also my rev B does NOT have the lines (I am grateful). It so so much snappier; when I would click on an icon to open a program on my rev A the icon would bounce and eventually open. There is no bouncing on Rev B. The program opens.

I am very pleased. I think you should go to Apple store and decide for yourself.

Better check the color calibrations. My MBA shipped with a "yellowish" screen--turns out, it's just the default color calibration that isn't optimal. It's the best laptop screen I've ever used!

T

The Toddfather

Better check the color calibrations. My MBA shipped with a "yellowish" screen--turns out, it's just the default color calibration that isn't optimal. It's the best laptop screen I've ever used!

What calibration did you use?

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
Please search people!!!! Why do we need a daily thread started on this?? I'm beginning to think these whiners are just the competition just trying to scare away customers from the Air.
Great, perfect screens exist on Rev. B (HDD versions, and some later SSD) and many have them!

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
Please search people!!!! Why do we need a daily thread started on this?? I'm beginning to think these whiners are just the competition just trying to scare away customers from the Air.
Great, perfect screens exist on Rev. B (HDD versions, and some later SSD) and many have them!

what competition? Nobody has anything on the macbook air :D nobody comes close. nuff said.

Tommigun

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
what competition? Nobody has anything on the macbook air :D nobody comes close. nuff said.

I wouldn't bet my money on it... Checked the new display models out here in Helsinki and they did indeed showcase the same flaw (lines).

Please keep in mind that the lines are much harder to see in a well lit environment such as shops than at home. Interesting fact of the day: My coworkers didn't see the lines at first but after I went into the word processor with an all white background and pointed them out they did indeed see them. It's a matter of knowing where to look. Actually, one person did see them but thought it was a graphical thing in OSX :) The other laptop models did not have lines.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
I recently saw a 9A9C Rev B 128 and even if it has the lines it is only at a certain angle and compared to the MBP next to it at Microcenter it had an excellent screen. GReat contrast and not too glossy.
Wonder if I can learn to accept it due to the other great aspects of it?

Only think I would have wished had been the keys from the old MBP...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.