Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darshan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Hey guys

i was just wondering...

having the brightness all the way to full... does that shorten the lifespan of your macbook?

i would imagine so... since the same kind of theory applys to the LCD backlit Televisions... that having the backlit turned on to full/high/100 results in (eventually) dulling of the backlit

just food for thoughts... what do you guys think?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I don't think this applies to LED lit screen, but regular bulbs only have a certain life span, I don't know exactly what that is..

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
LED's have a WAY longer lifespan than bulbs.
A lot of flashlights that use LED's have a lifetime guarantee on the LED's.

I think dead pixels are more of a concern than the LED's burning out.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
The backlight of your Macbook isnt a bulb like normal LCD displays its an LED backlight. and LED's have an almost infinate life, the only real way to kill them is with a power surge or excessive heat.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
What about LCD displays? If you leave it on full brightness, will it wear quickly and need to be replaced in a year?

Maybe not in a year, but after a year you will notice that when your on full brightness it's significantly not as bright as it used to be.

darshan.4

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
LED's have a WAY longer lifespan than bulbs.
A lot of flashlights that use LED's have a lifetime guarantee on the LED's.

I think dead pixels are more of a concern than the LED's burning out.

so does this mean having the monitor on full brightness will increase your chances of getting more dead pixels...

Maybe not in a year, but after a year you will notice that when your on full brightness it's significantly not as bright as it used to be.

this is exactly what my concern was... is this true? having ur brightness on full will eventually (faster then) burn out the actual brightness of the monitor...

get back to me...

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
The backlight of your Macbook isnt a bulb like normal LCD displays its an LED backlight. and LED's have an almost infinate life, the only real way to kill them is with a power surge or excessive heat.

That's true only on the Unibody MBs not previous generations.

to the OP... There are plenty of users who complain about the backlight fading after a few years of use, but there's not way around that. As long as the screen is on (no matter what brightness) the lifespan of the bulbs is going to decrease..

darshan.4

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
That's true only on the Unibody MBs not previous generations.

to the OP... There are plenty of users who complain about the backlight fading after a few years of use, but there's not way around that. As long as the screen is on (no matter what brightness) the lifespan of the bulbs is going to decrease..

hey man thx for the input

but the question here is... would having the brightness to the fullest shorten the lifespan FASTER then lets say half way lit screen?

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
I noticed my old ibook brightness dim over time. I owned it for 4 years and the left half would take about 15 minutes to get fully lit up. It wasn't night and day difference but you could tell if you look close enough.

That laptop did go thru hell so i wasn't too disappointed. The end of the laptop was the day i set the laptop on the ground in front of me to get out of a chair, and forgot about the remote on my lap. Remote hit the keyboard, and bounced off onto the screen and broke it. I still used it for another few months until it got to where i could hardly use it. I ordered a replacement screen on ebay, a used one, and it's brightness was very even. It was from a 1.2GHz ibook, mine was a 1.42GHz.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
I call shenanigans on that.

Nope. When I brought my Alu. MacBook home on launch, I booted it up and compared it to my blackbook before shipping it off to someone I sold it to on eBay.

The blackbook's display at full brightness was equal to my Alu. one half bright. The blackbook was about 9 months old. So then I took my blackbook and my dad's blackbook and my dad's was slightly dimmer than mine at full brightness because it was older by a month and was used quite a bit more.

this is exactly what my concern was... is this true? having ur brightness on full will eventually (faster then) burn out the actual brightness of the monitor...

get back to me...

This isn't true on the new ones because it's LED so it will last longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.