Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Hi,

I've been recently ripping some cd's to my library at 256kbps AAC. I've noticed on the first track of one cd and the last on another there has been a sort of skip for like half a second. Not a big thing I know but irritating when I'm trying to get good quality music.

Is there anyway of getting rid of this? I've tried re-ripping and still the same skip at the same point in the song? Is there any way of importing/reading the track slower?

Thanks

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Make sure error correction is turned on.

If not, you can try copying the AIFF files which will appear on the CD from Finder into iTunes, then converting the AIFF files into AAC with iTunes (right-click > convert to AAC).

bdj33ranch

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Think of AIFF files being a bit for bit copy of your CD (no compression). Similar to RAW files vs JPEG in photos. So you copy the AIFF file to your hardrive - which has MUCH faster response than your CD/DVD player. It is possible that the little skip is being caused by the CD player coughing a bit as it spins up. So copying from the harddrive instead MAY a solution.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
CD might be scratched or dirty.

Turn on error correction and try re-rip again.

If it works, turn off error correction when you are done.

If it doesn't work, you need something to repair the scratches.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Use Max which is something like Exact Audio Copy but for Macs. You can do a full CD Paranoia rip which should fix those skips.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
CD might be scratched or dirty.

Turn on error correction and try re-rip again.

If it works, turn off error correction when you are done.

If it doesn't work, you need something to repair the scratches.

If you have another computer, you might try that. It is always possible that one CD drive is a bit more lenient than another.

Use Max which is something like Exact Audio Copy but for Macs. You can do a full CD Paranoia rip which should fix those skips.

Very useful tip indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.