Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heliocentric

Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
hi im looking into buying a macbook air and was just wondering if their is much difference in performance between the 2 cpu options when used with the sata hard drive?

also any advice to consider before buying a rev 2 macbook air would be great

thanks

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
I doubt you'll notice the difference between cpu/processors 1.6 to 1.86

However, what you'll definitely notice is the difference in speed between the HDD and SSD

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
The difference in speed is negligible. Save yourself the $200.

heliocentric

Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
i am going from an old 2.4ghz macbook

the speed difference wont be to painfull with a 1.6ghz will it?

considering the faster front side bus of the macbook air and fast ddr3 ram...

danrel

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2009
North Carolina
i am going from an old 2.4ghz macbook

the speed difference wont be to painfull with a 1.6ghz will it?

considering the faster front side bus of the macbook air and fast ddr3 ram...

I don't think the speed difference will be painful at all really. I'm typing on a Rev A 1.6GHz MacBook Air and my last laptop was a 2.5GHz MacBook Pro with 4GB of memory. To be quite honest, I don't really notice that much of a difference in speed, besides opening programs. If you intend on using Photoshop or Illustrator for extended periods of time, I wouldn't suggest that, but if your using a Rev B Air with the much faster GPU in it(compared to mine) then you should be able to get away with more.

Hope this helps,

-danrel

heliocentric

Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
I don't think the speed difference will be painful at all really. I'm typing on a Rev A 1.6GHz MacBook Air and my last laptop was a 2.5GHz MacBook Pro with 4GB of memory. To be quite honest, I don't really notice that much of a difference in speed, besides opening programs. If you intend on using Photoshop or Illustrator for extended periods of time, I wouldn't suggest that, but if your using a Rev B Air with the much faster GPU in it(compared to mine) then you should be able to get away with more.

Hope this helps,

-danrel

oh yeah i forgot about the better gpu!

might be even able to do some light gaming

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
I'm with danrel on this one. I'm on the $999 MBA 1.6 and I had a 1.83 CD MBP. I don't notice much of a difference in speed at all. I do notice that some programs take longer to load, but web browsing, word processing, and iPhoto work are mostly the same. The disk slows you down, but honestly, I love it.

Plus the screen is magnificent. It kicks my MBP screen's rear. Save the cash.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
It can get loud if you are running something intensive or using it in a place with poor ventilation. (IE a bed)

But I am using it on my lap now for browsing and it is at 2499rpm and is completely silent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.