View Full Version : University insurer sues Apple
After $2 million in computer ...
Mar 12, 2004, 03:53 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: University insurer sues Apple
After $2 million in computer fire damage, insurance company sues for reimbursement (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040312165308)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by arn
Mar 12, 2004, 04:21 PM
Damn another lawsuit. Wonder if faulty wiring has even been an issue with the Power Mac G4.
Mar 12, 2004, 04:55 PM
wouldn't the insurer have to prove gross negligence on the part of apple or at least a history of faulty wiring that led to fires in powermac G4s? is there another profession as scummy as insurers?
Mar 12, 2004, 04:58 PM
Plug anything into an outlet with faulty wiring and it'll probably cause a fire, usually because the outlet is overloaded.
Mar 12, 2004, 05:24 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a computer bursting into flames, and it being hot enough to ignite a nearby wood beam?! Well, let's not include those exploding Dell laptops. :) Anyway, sounds like another frivolous lawsuit, probably to cover up for some incompetent lab technician.
Mar 12, 2004, 08:29 PM
is it me or is the world just bloody mad .. law suite this law suite that crap i best sue my boss for a fence post falling on my thumb and causing me serious pain for a week or two .... hell while iam at it i best sue Ms for the Pop ups that anoye me cause me to loos valuble working time and make me very un happy with my other half asking whats this all about when it says you have to reboot for a driver update ....??
She hates Windows for that:D
Mar 12, 2004, 09:02 PM
This is why companies have liabilty insurance. This will most likely be settled between the two insurance companies.
Mar 12, 2004, 10:08 PM
These two sentences, if true, is the meat of the whole incident
The fire department determined that an Apple PowerMac G4 plugged into an electrical receptacle box caused the fire in a Moffit Hall lab on Dec. 11, 2001.
Faulty wiring ignited the wood supporting a nearby cable tray, Lisa Zimmaro, a manager in the University's risk management office, said.
Plug a toaster oven into the faulty wiring and you get a fire... doesn't have to be the PowerMac G4.
My PowerMac G4 has been in continuous operation since it was introduced, and it has not caused a fire yet. I just looked inside of it and despite 500 generations of dust bunnies, no fire yet.
Mar 13, 2004, 12:03 AM
My Power Mac explodes into flames sometimes. Annoying, but no big deal really. I keep papers away, and when it happens I just hose it down. Only twice have I actually lost my home--but the Power Mac still runs great!
Mar 13, 2004, 10:02 AM
Sounds like Apple is a scapegoat for more than just clueless peecee luser.