PDA

View Full Version : White MacBook: FAN Won't stop..... New Issue

Tyndale13
Jan 24, 2009, 02:32 PM
I just noticed that my white 2008 macbook's fan is running constantly. This is a new occurrence. Anyone know why this would just start?

Thanks

Dudeman486
Jan 25, 2009, 11:08 PM
go into activity monitor (applications-->utilities-->activity monitor) and see if you have any processes that are hogging cpu.

don't just quit the processes (if they are used by root then thats BAD!); try figuring out which application is using the process and quitting that. for instance, if "mds" is using large amounts of cpu and your spotlight is not indexing, quit spotlight.

hope this helps

Moriarty
Jan 25, 2009, 11:19 PM
I just noticed that my white 2008 macbook's fan is running constantly. This is a new occurrence. Anyone know why this would just start?

Thanks

All Macbook's fans run constantly.

If you mean it's running quite loudly at a high RPM constantly, yeah, check your CPU usage and reboot the computer, then try resetting PRAM.

NewMacbookPlz
Jan 25, 2009, 11:21 PM
~2000rpm is the normal rate for it to be running at all the time. If its higher, under normal use, then definitely take a look at the running processes, see if something has hanged and is sucking up CPU cycles.

Macinposh
Jan 26, 2009, 04:36 PM
I noticed that my processor useage went through the roof today after the macbook firmware (1.3?) update. Been running now few hours between 90-150%...
When checked from the activity window,it seems that the MDWORKER is running itīs things..hopefully that bastard settles down at some point.

Dudeman486
Jan 27, 2009, 08:21 AM
is your spotlight indexing? if so then just leave it alone. if not, forcequit spotlight from activity monitor.

if that doesnt work, restart

cam3ron
Jan 27, 2009, 08:06 PM
One thing that happened to me, is that I had a print job pending on my macbook. I never realized it, but that cause my fan to run incredibly fast, making a lot of noise. Im sure this is probably not what happened to you, but something as simple as that can be a cause.

cabuche
Oct 12, 2009, 11:55 PM
Hi,

I have a macbook white (2006) and I would like to know how many fans this computer has without having to crack it open.

The reason I ask is that I have installed "Fan Control" (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23137) and it has a "Right Fan" and "Left Fan speed" slot on it's "reading". the Right fan speed reads -1, while the Left one reads 4219rpm.

I know it could be a problem with the sensor and not the fan itself but in any case I need to check it (if it's the case this laptops has 2 fans).

Thanks

OK: I have found (after a better google search): http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=429591, and so that you don't have to click the link as well, this computer (macbook white) has only one fan (I can't make a claim for newer Macbook white's).