Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
I have a Palm Treo 800W(Windows Mobile 6.1 Pro) and a 16Gb Touch. I use the phone for most of my business stuff and the Touch for entertainment. The web browser (IE Mobile) on the Treo is just OK but the Touch browser is fantastic. It works great when I can get a WiFi connection but that is not always possible of course. I can use my Treo as a modem but have not figured out how to connect it to the Touch. I have a female-female USB connector so I can connect the 2 cables (Touch and Treo) together but I am not able to get a wireless connection. The two devices do not read each other. For those familiar with the Treo, I am using an app called PDAnet for wireless connection. If anyone knows how or even if this can be done I would really appreciate it. Thanks

sr20det91

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Yes there is. It works with any windows mobile device that has wifi. I use it everyday with my AT&T tilt and it works flawlessly. It's called wifi router (http://www.wmwifirouter.com) and its really the only reason I got a Touch instead of an iphone
What it does is turns your windows based mobile device into an ad hoc wireless router. In my case I run run the app on my Tilt and it connects with media net's 3g connection. I fire up the wifi on my touch or any other device with wifi and presto, 3g connection on my touch/laptop-whatever.
It's a perfection option, if like me, you want to be able to run windows based programs on your phone yet still be able to take advantage of Safari browser,App store, itunz store and whatnot on your touch. To me its having the best of both worlds. I love being able to have internet access on my touch anywhere I have 3g connection. Only downside is battery life. The touch does ok,but my tilt tends to drain fairly quickly running wifi all the time. It also costs about 20 bucks,but well worth it IMO.

NaweG

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2009
Just as a point of info, I have one of the portable Cradlepoint routers, and took a ride this evening where I had the Cradlepoint plugged into my AT&T Sync (Samsung A707), then had my iPod Touch plugged into a small speaker dock that I plugged into the car's cigarette lighter. End result was that I took a couple hour drive with Pandora playing all the way. Much better than any local station!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.