Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B1gMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
What features do you most want to see in upcoming versions of Adobe Photoshop?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
A one-step method of straightening and cropping like those found in Lightroom and Aperture.

Similarly, some method of automatically cropping after using the lens correction filter to remove barrel distortion.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
A one-step method of straightening and cropping like those found in Lightroom and Aperture.

Similarly, some method of automatically cropping after using the lens correction filter to remove barrel distortion.

I've used CS3 and own CS4, and I can already crop and straighten at the same time. I can also 'kind of' crop off the curved leftovers from removing barrel distortion at the same time.

How does Lightroom do its crop and straighten? In Photoshop, you simply draw the crop selection box and rotate it. Simple!

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I want it to use more GPU processor so that we can skip the scratch disk. Something like allow the GPU to work like a Scratch Disk. And I love CS4 new interface, I love how easy and fast to change your workspace. I like the gray Aperture look interface, I do hope that the CS5 will incorporate more of these gray feature especially for its pull down scrollbars which has a very ugly slider.

And besides photoshop, I love how Illustrator now have CAD like features like display intersect and many things that make illustrating much easier.

B1gMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
One thing that I really want is to have a multi-color threshold option. Currently it only allows one threshold for deciding black and white. But, it could be awesome if I could turn a picture into 4 or 5 layers of threshold colors.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
oh and I forgot to mention this, multi touch support!!!!!! It will be awesome if future Adobe CS products support Apple multi touch trackpad, it will make some features much more convenient and easily accessible. ;)

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I guess I'd better install the CS4 Trial DMG on my desktop and see what I'm missing of the current version...

I'd like 64bit with access to more than 3GB Memory.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Is there a smart crop in Photoshop yet, like in Camera Raw? Have I just been overlooking it this entire time?

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
How does Lightroom do its crop and straighten? In Photoshop, you simply draw the crop selection box and rotate it. Simple!
LR does that simple job even better and much easier and even places crop box on image for you which elimates first step of process. Though LR way seems a bit odd at first as you rotate image not crop toll, it is a much better way of doing it. Particularly as you can have grid line as an overlay to get horizons/verticals nice and straight. It's a big improvement on a basic tool.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I want it to use more GPU processor so that we can skip the scratch disk. Something like allow the GPU to work like a Scratch Disk.
Scratch disk canot be replaced by a processor - it's a memory store. The GPU is just a chip or are you talking about the memory on the video card? Which isn't big enough yet anyway.

Go here for how to optimise CS4
Optimise PS CS4

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Wish list,

Delayed until it's ready and CS4 is defunct
Decent price for european users (probably all non-US users)

Maybe a combined CS5 and Lightroom program with all the great features of LR, plus some of the more useful photography stuff in CS like Curves, batch processing, unsharp mask, save for web option! and probably many many more.

They can still knock out a full CS5 package for those that need more than me.

Maybe CS5 Photographer, CS5 Graphics and CS5 turbo nutter edition.

If i'm talking bollocks let me know.

B A S

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2009
I'm hoping for an overhaul to the core image manipulation tools.

The main thing I am hoping gets "refreshed" is the image transform warp tool. (the liquify tool is fine though not always suitable in certain cases).

This is still very limited compared to what has been available in the past in other programs (the old high end systems like Barco Creator,now priced out of the market.) and needs to add the following:

1.Every point on the grid should be able to move independently and have bezier controls to adjust the angle of distortion between points.

2 It should be possible to save a warp grid mesh as is possible with the liquify tool.

3.It should be possible to define the number of points on the grid by adjusting the number of vertical and horizontal segments. eg 20x4 4x4 1x10 should all be possible.

An update to the plugins,
The lens flare tool needs a MAJOR update (rather leaving everyone to reply on third party plugins)

A decent film grain plugin that gives real world usability.

when working on very dark images the ability to switch to a dark interface preset so boxes and menus don't flare into my eyes! ( I don't have the option for a second monitor).

I'd be happy if they just sorted out the warp tool to be honest....

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
oh and I forgot to mention this, multi touch support!!!!!! It will be awesome if future Adobe CS products support Apple multi touch trackpad, it will make some features much more convenient and easily accessible. ;)

I hate the way the pinch zoom works with CS4, I wish I could turn off two finger rotation. Otherwise what would you want? I'd want it to read my mind and know exactly what I wanted it to do.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wish list,

Delayed until it's ready and CS4 is defunct
Decent price for european users (probably all non-US users)

Maybe a combined CS5 and Lightroom program with all the great features of LR, plus some of the more useful photography stuff in CS like Curves, batch processing, unsharp mask, save for web option! and probably many many more.

They can still knock out a full CS5 package for those that need more than me.

Maybe CS5 Photographer, CS5 Graphics and CS5 turbo nutter edition.

If i'm talking bollocks let me know.

No I don't think those are bad ideas except the asinine idea that somehow UK users should see a price relief and US users can suck it. Otherwise, I like the package LR and CS5 idea very much.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
No I don't think those are bad ideas except the asinine idea that somehow UK users should see a price relief and US users can suck it. Otherwise, I like the package LR and CS5 idea very much.

I think what the post implied is that outside the US, the price of Photoshop is very much greater (even when a generous exchange rate and tax is applied). It is cheaper to get a copy delivered to a friend in the US (including paying US taxes), pay for it to be posted to the UK and pay more tax on the item when it arrives here. Adobe argue this is because local editions require extra work (ie language changes etc), except here in England we we still get US English - Color instead of Colour, etc. so I'm hard pushed to see where this extra work was made.

I would love to see a choice of interface options. Keep the existing palettes, and also add a set similar to those found in Aperture (I don't use LR, so I'm unfamiliar the interface) so certain adjustments can be made quickly.

Updates to Photoshop Camera Raw for at least 2 generations of the product.

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
- SOLID 64-bit Cocoa support
- Bridge replaced with a stripped down version of LR (i.e. only the Library module)

:)

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
- SOLID 64-bit Cocoa support
- Bridge replaced with a stripped down version of LR (i.e. only the Library module)

:)

When is the expected release date on this?

I have a "permanent demo" of CS4 and I want to get a "citizens" version. Of course that's gonna cost me $700 as I'll need the full version. I would hate to pay that and then have the newer version come out in a couple of months forcing me to shell out another $300 for the upgrade.

erikwirtz

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
I'd love to see Smart Object editing inside the current document for alignment purposes. Perhaps when you double click the smart object the areas around the smart object just darken at 50% opacity much like the quick mask does.

Also a shared library or the ability to link smart objects to multiple PSDs would be awesome.

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009

I have a "permanent demo" of CS4 and I want to get a "citizens" version. Of course that's gonna cost me $700 as I'll need the full version. I would hate to pay that and then have the newer version come out in a couple of months forcing me to shell out another $300 for the upgrade.

Nobody knows, but the amount of new code required for CS5 is massive as well as lead time needed to retrain developers for Cocoa programming (and in thinking in the "Cocoa way") and bringing tools up to date... all that suggests CS5 for the Mac isn't likely out anytime in the near future.

CS4 is already over a million lines of code with significant parts of it needing a total rewrite to move from Carbon to 64-bit Cocoa. We also don't know how stable CS5 would be, initially, after such a major code rewrite.

I would guess at least another year or two, maybe? Not sure if that's optimistic or not.

But bottom line is, if you need CS today and you can live with it for the foreseenable future, then there's no reason to not get CS4 now. You'd get a known stable code base that functions today and is supported. I'm still using CS3 which is doing great and have no plans to upgrade until CS5 or maybe CS6.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK

Photoshop has traditionally had a two year update schedule. CS4 came out nearly a year ago if I remember correctly, so you can expect around another year before CS5 is announced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.