Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
I am working on building a website for my mothers business. She sells gourds. She bought the domain www.gourdgeousgourds.info from GoDaddy. I already started building her a website in iWeb.

Currently I have set up the whole personal domain thing at me.com/account ; and that works. However, I use iWeb for a family website too--which will still be my primary website (still being created). That means that when people visit www.gourdgeousgourds.info, they see my family website--and they don't see my mom's business website until they type in
So, what I did was I set the www.gourdgeousgourds.info domain to forward to
EDIT: To clarify, I want it to work so that when people go to web.me.com/username , it automatically shows my Family website. BUT, I want it to work so that when people go to www.gourdgeousgourds.info, they see my Mom's business site, not the family website.

Now, pretty much everything works. When users type in
gourdgeousgourds.info
they see
gourdgeousgourds.info/gourds
The part that still doesn't work is this. When people put the WWW in front of the URL, they still see my families website as the main page. How do I set the WWW URL to forward to the
page?

So when users are putting in
they are seeing
I would have thought everything would be opposite--the WWW would be working right, and the URL w/out the WWW wouldn't work right.

Anyways, if anybody knows how to fix this, please reply.
Thanks!

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
Not trying to bump my post, but i'm going to post more information here so that the above post doesn't get to clogged up with information.

When people visit my mom's website, I don't want it to say web.me.com/username/gourds

That is why I set up the personal domain thing through me.com/account.

But, that set the homepage of http://www.gourdgeousgourds.info to web.me.com/username/Family (My family homepage). I don't want people to see that at my mom's website, so I set my mom's domain to forward to http://www.gourdgeousgourds.info/gourds . That doesn't quite work right--people who type in www before the url get sent to my family site, and people who type in the url w/out the www get sent to the right address.

I hope that makes sense.
Please ask me to clarify if it doesn't make sense.

Thanks

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
You need to make a cname entry for www domain
GoDaddy should have help on how to do it

I already did that (I think) Pic attached of what my cname page looks like.

BTW, now both URLs (With WWW and w/out WWW) are rederecting to my families page. I don't want that...

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 97

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
If they are being hosted from the same domain all you need to do is put an "index.html" file in whichever site is being hosted behind the www. and have a redirect to the URL you want.

Sorry i slightly misunderstood what you asked

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying...

Right now, the site is back to rederecting kind of like I want.

Here is what I have done:

1.) Set up my Site to be on my personal domain via the MobileMe account preferences page
2.) Since the iWeb site is then at my domain, I set the domain to forward to my mothers business page (an iWeb built site). I did this because the default page of our MobileMe site is a page about our family with pictures, etc. Because its default, when you visit my mom's purchased domain name, it would automatically show the family page. That is why I set it to redirect.
3.) Now when people visit http://www.gourdgeousgourds.info, they see my family page. Only when they visit the above url WITHOUT the www. in front do they get redirected to the page for my moms business.

That leads me to this question: How can I set it so that when people DO put the WWW. in front, it redirects to her business page.

I am using a GoDaddy Domain, with iLife '08 (switching to '09 tonight i think) with a MobileMe Single User account.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.