PDA

View Full Version : New software question

jed1894
Jan 25, 2009, 07:47 PM
Got a quick question about my daughter's IPOD. Sorry if this topic has been disussed....I searched first but did not find what I was looking for. This is my first post.....

I just downloading the most current version of itunes because some of the songs my daughter wanted would not download unless I got the new upgrade. However, now the songs all over twice the size and it takes 4 times as long to download. I looked back at the other songs and they were 3.7 mb or so, now they are 8 or 9 mb. Is this normal now?

Also, is there a way to down-size the songs to get more on the ipod?

Did the new download change something to make the songs larger than before?

Thanks in advance,

jed

GoCubsGo
Jan 25, 2009, 07:49 PM
I would check the obvious and that is wether or not your daughter downloaded the "plus" version of the song. It's a higher bitrate thus making it a larger file. I am unsure if it would be double the size, but it seems like the obvious culprit there.

Downsizing music files? I think they're compressed enough as is and the format should be the "smallest" available over other formats. I think.

jed1894
Jan 25, 2009, 08:29 PM
I would check the obvious and that is wether or not your daughter downloaded the "plus" version of the song. It's a higher bitrate thus making it a larger file. I am unsure if it would be double the size, but it seems like the obvious culprit there.

Downsizing music files? I think they're compressed enough as is and the format should be the "smallest" available over other formats. I think.

Thanks. I downloaded the songs and not sure it said anything about "plus." I'll go back and check (if that's possible). Where would it say "plus?"

jed

jed1894
Jan 25, 2009, 08:36 PM

Okay. I went back and searched again for the same song. I see and plus sign next to the price. I guess that's what you're talking about. But the song is not offered without the plus sign. I guess that's why I needed the upgrade to the newer version and why it would not let me download before I upgraded.

What exactly do you get with the "plus?" And is there a way to disable the "plus" feature for downloads?

thanks, jed

GoCubsGo
Jan 26, 2009, 11:24 AM
Okay. I went back and searched again for the same song. I see and plus sign next to the price. I guess that's what you're talking about. But the song is not offered without the plus sign. I guess that's why I needed the upgrade to the newer version and why it would not let me download before I upgraded.

What exactly do you get with the "plus?" And is there a way to disable the "plus" feature for downloads?

thanks, jed

You get a higher quality DRM free version of the song afaik.
I believe the base quality of a song from iTunes is 128 kbps, whereas with a "plus" song you get 256kbps. However, since you're very interested in fitting the most music on your iPod whereby you'll have to compress said file even more, I wouldn't think that "plus" is up your alley. Typically you'll find a plus song, drm free or not, offers a better sound.