Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coldfusion1313

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
i want the power of the mac desktop but i don't want to pay a lot of money meaning more then 3000 dollars.

So should i get power mac g5 2ghz or wait for the mac pro to be updated and get the old Mac pro.

Please reply
Thanks
:apple:

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
why waste any $ on out dated technology like the G5 just grab up a cheap refurb Pro

TrapOx

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Denver
Of snow leopard? Definitely this year. Most likely between March and September.

Of the Mac Pro? Nobody knows, its up to Apple. Could be tomorrow, could be December.

macJC50640

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
I strongly reccomend waiting, because if you ever want to put a more updated OS on it when they come out, they won't support PowerPC. (10.6 and beyond) Just wait. :)

macJC50640

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
PowerPC

Apple is slowly phasing out PowerPC, aren't they? Too bad... But I guess its time to move on.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Apple is slowly phasing out PowerPC, aren't they? Too bad... But I guess its time to move on.

I was very much under the impression that it is already dead, as no new applications are being made for it that fully support it.

You need an Intel Mac to do the best of iLife, and Snow Leopard won't even support 32-bit Intel computers, much less ANY PowerPC ones.

coldfusion1313

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
i guess i will wait the g5 is out dated i heard that iMacs are faster then the g5 and the mac pro is way better it has intel xeons!!

TrapOx

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Denver
More factually incorrect statements and guesses from Tallest Skil. Not a good day for you is it?

PPC is still alive and well, for now. Snow Leopard will most likely end support as far as being the most current OS. There will still be updates to 10.5 for PPC models just like there has been updates for Tiger after Leopard was released.

PPc software support is up to the software writers. Most games are sold as Intel only but most software is still universal (PPC and intel).

The last G4 PowerBooks, G5 iMacs and G5 PowerMacs aren't even 3 years old yet. They have several years of normal Mac life left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.