Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m0no

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Hello All,

First of all, I'm new to Macs and I've been trying to figure this out for awhile and I'm stumped.

I have an Apple Cube with all the original system disks and I'm trying to use the System Restore disk to install the OS on a new hard drive with a Mac OS Extended Journaled partition. When I put in the System Restore cd (9.0.4) and hold the 'C' key, it boots to a solid gray screen and stops - nothing else happens.

In order to do a little testing, I put in my Macbook dvd and I'm able to boot from that but I'm unable to install (probably because it's only for my Macbook and/or because the cube doesn't meet requirements). However, I am able to see my hard drive in Disk Utility, so I know my hard drive is being recognized. I also used the hardware test cd that came with the Cube and everything passes. When I attempt to boot from the System Restore cd again, I still get the solid gray screen.

What am I missing? I thought this process would be fairly simple, but its proven me wrong. I'd appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks in advance!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Sounds like the problem is with the disk itself. I'd try to find another copy of the operating system, on eBay or elsewhere. Depending on your system's specs, you could also think about upgrading to some version of OS X.

I find it interesting that the MacBook's restore DVD will even boot a PowerPC Mac. Unfortunately, it will only work on the computer it was shipped with.

m0no

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try to use a 10.4 install disk tonight. Hopefully, that will work.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
10.4 will work fine.
Don't install OS9 if possible.

You might also want to list system specs, such as amount of HD space and ram.

m0no

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
System specs are:

500MHz;

1.5gb ram

1TB SATA hard drive (I know that this will probably only be recognized as 128gb, but I plan on installing on a smaller partition and using the rest of the space for storage/mini file server. I believe this should be possible. I also know that the hard drive is configured correctly and is being detected since I was able to see it in Disk Utility when I booted from my Macbook system restore disk.)

Airport card

Edit: The cube originally came with a 120gb hard drive and booted fine. So I know the system works. It also came with original mouse, speakers, and power supply. I got it off of Craigslist for $150. Pretty good deal I think.

m0no

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
The problem with installing OS9 is probably journaling. IIRC this feature was not supported in OS9.

Thanks for the advice and it looks like you are right. According to Apple's website "Journaling was first introduced in Mac OS X Server 10.2.2, then to the non-server OS in Mac OS X 10.3 Panther."

So, hopefully with a 10.4 install disk I should be okay. I'll be trying it tonight.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
System specs are:

500MHz;

1.5gb ram

1TB SATA hard drive (I know that this will probably only be recognized as 128gb, but I plan on installing on a smaller partition and using the rest of the space for storage/mini file server. I believe this should be possible. I also know that the hard drive is configured correctly and is being detected since I was able to see it in Disk Utility when I booted from my Macbook system restore disk.)

Airport card

Edit: The cube originally came with a 120gb hard drive and booted fine. So I know the system works. It also came with original mouse, speakers, and power supply. I got it off of Craigslist for $150. Pretty good deal I think.

http://www.speedtools.com/

Install that and the 128GB limit no longer applies.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I guess you have
I guess you have a SATA to IDE adapter?

For large drive support, you need
SpeedTools ATA Hi-Capacity Driver
http://www.speedtools2.com/ATA6.html

IDE drives need jumper to be set properly. It might even be slave, with optical being master. It's been a few years since I own one and I forgot.

So it might be a jumper issue?

m0no

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
I guess you have
I guess you have a SATA to IDE adapter?

For large drive support, you need
SpeedTools ATA Hi-Capacity Driver
http://www.speedtools2.com/ATA6.html

IDE drives need jumper to be set properly. It might even be slave, with optical being master. It's been a few years since I own one and I forgot.

So it might be a jumper issue?

It looks like that has to be driver has to be purchased. I think this script will also work and is free http://4thcode.blogspot.com/2007/12/using-128-gib-or-larger-ata-hard-drives.html

If I keep experiencing problems then I'll try setting the optical to master, but I thought that sata drives don't have the typical jumper settings as IDE drives do, so how would I set my sata drive to slave? But then again, I was able to see the drive in Disk Utility, so I don't think it's a jumper issue.

And yes, I'm using an SATA to IDE adapter. Everything fits behind the dvd drive with a bit of cable management.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
It looks like that has to be driver has to be purchased. I think this script will also work and is free http://4thcode.blogspot.com/2007/12/using-128-gib-or-larger-ata-hard-drives.html

If I keep experiencing problems then I'll try setting the optical to master, but I thought that sata drives don't have the typical jumper settings as IDE drives do, so how would I set my sata drive to slave? But then again, I was able to see the drive in Disk Utility, so I don't think it's a jumper issue.

And yes, I'm using an SATA to IDE adapter. Everything fits behind the dvd drive with a bit of cable management.

If anywhere, the settings/jumpers for Master/Slave might be on the adapter, as you are correct when noting that SATA drives do not have the jumper settings that are applicable to IDE/PATA drives. Chances are also that since you can see it in DU, you are ok there.

In setting up/reformatting my Cube with a new drive what worked for me was to format the drive from the DU available when booted to the Tiger installer disk. I partitioned mine into two partitions (although not technically necessary as you can do a clean install of OS9 AFTER Tiger on the same partition without bothering Tiger it turns out) making sure that the option to "Include the OS 9 Drivers" was checked for the partition I intended to use for OS9. I then installed Tiger on the first partition, then restarted with the restore disks that came with the Cube and installed OS9 on the second partition. All worked fine and I can select either partition to boot to with no difficulty.

m0no

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
I burned a copy of OS 10.4, but it didn't work. It hangs at the apple logo. Do I have to use an original disk to install from? Are there any good versions of linux that work well with the Cube to use instead? I'm just trying to get some type of OS on there for now in order to get this up and running.

m0no

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Try an original OSX install disc.

I guess I'll have to try to find a decently priced one online somewhere. I've never owned a Mac before, so I don't have any original old install disks around.

m0no

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Invalid B-tree node size

Okay, a bit of an update.

I was able to get an OS 10.4 disk that I'm able to boot from, but when I need to select a destination drive to install to, nothing appears. When looking in Disk Utility, I see my hard drive but it won't mount. I repartition creating 2 volumes, one less 128GB and the second with free space. Even after repartitioning, I'm unable to mount and when I verify my disk I get an "Invalid B-tree node size". I know the disk is healthy as I'm able to see it in my Macbook (late 2008) and it passes the hard disk check under Disk Utility.

So yet again, I'm stuck. Does anybody have any suggestions?

m0no

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
I think the problem is with the adapter. When I use the adapter to connect the drive to an external IDE enclosure via usb on my macbook, the drive does not appear. However, when I take the drive and plug it into an external SATA enclosure it shows up with no problem and with no errors. I'll replace the adapter, test and report back.

Thanks for all the help so far.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
I think the problem is with the adapter. When I use the adapter to connect the drive to an external IDE enclosure via usb on my macbook, the drive does not appear. However, when I take the drive and plug it into an external SATA enclosure it shows up with no problem and with no errors. I'll replace the adapter, test and report back.

Thanks for all the help so far.

One question about this- did you ever determine if the IDE setting of Master/Slave/Cable Select is controllable on the IDE/SATA adaptor? I ask because if the IDE side of things cannot be selected as Master when used in a single enclosure, there will be no joy unless the adapter assumes Master by default and does not offer alternatives.

m0no

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
One question about this- did you ever determine if the IDE setting of Master/Slave/Cable Select is controllable on the IDE/SATA adaptor? I ask because if the IDE side of things cannot be selected as Master when used in a single enclosure, there will be no joy unless the adapter assumes Master by default and does not offer alternatives.

There is no setting on the adapter for master/slave. However, when using the adapter inside an old pc case, it was able to be detected by the bios whether it was connected to the master or slave position on the IDE cable. Anyways, I'm going a different route with another adapter (this one). Hopefully, it will make things work and fit easier in the Cube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.