PDA

View Full Version : Ikea mikael owners

Hurd111
Jan 26, 2009, 01:12 AM
I am soon going to be purchasing this desk (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40079218). There are a few questions I have though:

Is the glass desktop available in the US? I cant seem to find it on the website.

Would any of you mind posting pictures of yours? ;)

rdowns
Jan 26, 2009, 06:35 AM
I have the desk with a glass top. They do not sell the glass on their web site, it's in store only. FWIW, here's a pic of mine before I got the glass top.

http://gallery.me.com/rdowns/100060/IMG_0315/web.jpg?ver=12202997650001

buyusfear
Jan 26, 2009, 08:32 AM
Here's mine in the birch effect/white with the leather desk pad thingy aswell from Ikea.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/buyusfear/IMG_8977.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/buyusfear/desktops1.jpg?t=1232918806

Mark-Mac-Attack
Jan 26, 2009, 09:31 AM
I've binned the glass, got annoying after a while.

Here is a picture from when it was in use.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l235/mdjones3000/DSC05502.jpg

raymondkerr
Jan 26, 2009, 09:39 AM
Here is my Ikea Mikeal Desk with Glass top.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll4/raymondkerr/DSC_0009.jpg

HBOC
Jan 26, 2009, 03:11 PM
i have the same desk. Bought it a week before i got my MBP, because it is a nice desk and because there is room for both the PC and the MBP. I will post pics when i get my new couch and re-arrange the apartment in a few days.

klmckenzie03
Jan 26, 2009, 08:51 PM
I have the desk with a glass top. They do not sell the glass on their web site, it's in store only. FWIW, here's a pic of mine before I got the glass top.

http://gallery.me.com/rdowns/100060/IMG_0315/web.jpg?ver=12202997650001

That is a pretty sweet chair. Would you mind telling me where you found that?

rdowns
Jan 27, 2009, 06:49 AM
That is a pretty sweet chair. Would you mind telling me where you found that?

It's a Herman Miller Aeron chair. Got it at an office supply store. Some dot com went bust and they were selling off the furniture. Most comfortable chair ever and still like new after 5 years.

Newcourt
Jan 27, 2009, 06:56 AM
I'm doubting to get one to. I really like the design. Just simple and clean, but I'm still not entirely convinced. Does anybody have some more pictures?
Thanks in advance. :D

HBOC
Jan 27, 2009, 11:33 AM
i will take a bunch of pics either tomorrow or thursday when i get my new couch:)

ChicoWeb
Jan 27, 2009, 12:20 PM
I've got three. Only one has a glass. You almost need a mouse pad if it's on the wood because it's a rough surface.

buyusfear
Jan 27, 2009, 01:07 PM
I've got three. Only one has a glass. You almost need a mouse pad if it's on the wood because it's a rough surface.

I never get tired of seeing your studio.
I love what you've done with the space, very modern and crisp looking!

Sonicjay
Jan 28, 2009, 02:48 PM
It's a Herman Miller Aeron chair. ..Most comfortable chair ever and still like new after 5 years.

X2; I've had mine for years; most comfortable chair I've ever sat in

faust
Jan 28, 2009, 05:35 PM
This forum's obsession IKEA borders on the creepy...

Emulsion
Jan 28, 2009, 05:52 PM

But it defines who I am.

bc008
Jan 29, 2009, 09:10 PM
But it defines who I am.

haha me too! its a bit sad im 15 and i count down the days until i can go.. its 3 1/2 hours away so we dont go much

samlesher
Aug 21, 2009, 08:48 PM
I'm not a Mac guy, but I found this thread on Google when looking for ways to keep the glass top from sliding around on the Ikea Mikael desk. I tried those stick-on rubber pads, but as I put my elbows on the glass throughout the day, I would slowly push the glass forward, smearing the sticky back of the pads as it moved. I thought about screwing some corner brackets on the back of the desk to give the glass something to push against, but first I thought I would try my idea of putting under the glass one of those pads that you put under area rugs to keep them from sliding around. It looks a little unorthodox, but I think I like it (and it works perfectly). Here's a pic:

http://imgur.com/XuB7D.jpg

Again, sorry for the ugly Dell :p

callmemike20
Aug 21, 2009, 09:23 PM
I'm going to buy one tomorrow. But does anyone know if I can still use hutch add on with the glass top?

Coolnat2004
Aug 21, 2009, 09:38 PM
I'm going to buy one tomorrow. But does anyone know if I can still use hutch add on with the glass top?

The top doesn't actually screw into the desk -- it comes with two clamps that hold it in place, so you should be fine.

callmemike20
Aug 21, 2009, 10:37 PM
The top doesn't actually screw into the desk -- it comes with two clamps that hold it in place, so you should be fine.

Sweet. Thanks

jaaaack
Aug 21, 2009, 10:41 PM
I have the same desk in black-brown. substituted the glass panel with a think clear rubber/plastic sheet. No more fingerprints!

Gordy
Aug 24, 2009, 03:04 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2482/3808937182_b60981d162_b.jpg

Mine, many more pics here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8256295&postcount=1546

I've not got the glass top as I have drilled into the top to mount the vesa mount. I wouldn't have gone for the the glass anyway as I prefer the wood though.

Apple all life
Aug 24, 2009, 12:08 PM
Get the extension too.

Moved some stuff around now I will take new pictures in about a week.
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv245/ninjasownyou/IMG_0102-1.jpg

capps
Aug 26, 2009, 03:30 PM
So after you all posted pics of yours, I really liked how simple it was and how affordable it is so I thought I would order one. Nearest IKEA is 3.5 hours away.

It was all good until it calculated the shipping. Get real, IKEA. It would cost me less to rent a truck from Enterprise, drive to Round Rock, stay the night in a hotel, buy the desk, and drive back home. :eek:

Apple all life
Aug 26, 2009, 03:36 PM
So make a day out of it :D

callmemike20
Aug 26, 2009, 03:43 PM
So after you all posted pics of yours, I really liked how simple it was and how affordable it is so I thought I would order one. Nearest IKEA is 3.5 hours away.

It was all good until it calculated the shipping. Get real, IKEA. It would cost me less to rent a truck from Enterprise, drive to Round Rock, stay the night in a hotel, buy the desk, and drive back home. :eek:

That's insane!!!

Here is my new setup:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_kcc3Kuuc6Og/SpWd8yLu_pI/AAAAAAAAAn4/idHoy1DKi4g/s512/photo.jpg

milk242
Aug 26, 2009, 04:08 PM
Wondering if anyone is concerned with the max load of 66lbs for this desk? I would like to purchase one, but most likely I'll have to keep my mac pro off this desk for fear of collapsing.

Abstract
Aug 26, 2009, 04:11 PM
@capps:

Well they're shipping you furniture. Sure, it's not built, but it's not unreasonable for the shipping to be expensive. Yes, that calculated shipping cost is really really really high (too high?), but how much do you think shipping should cost? If I was allowed to guess before seeing this thread, I would have guessed $200 for the Mikael. They run the risk of your stuff being one of the only things to ship to your area.

capps
Aug 26, 2009, 04:29 PM
@capps:

Well they're shipping you furniture. Sure, it's not built, but it's not unreasonable for the shipping to be expensive. Yes, that calculated shipping cost is really really really high (too high?), but how much do you think shipping should cost? If I was allowed to guess before seeing this thread, I would have guessed $200 for the Mikael. They run the risk of your stuff being one of the only things to ship to your area.

Based off of the weight and dimensions on IKEA-US.com, I could go to Round Rock, purchase the desk, drive to UPS and ship it to myself for about $80, which would be UPS ground... but because Round Rock is only 3.5 hours away, I would get it in 1-2 days.

bc008
Aug 26, 2009, 04:41 PM

Thats the one problem with IKEA! I dont understand why it costs so much. Shipping for my area just got cheaper within the year. (down to $50 from the previous $350.) And that was for a little cabinet thing. We ended up driving the 3 hours anyways because the $50 was gas money alone plus we could pick up a lot more stuff.

jaaaack
Aug 27, 2009, 12:08 AM
In my area Ikea charges a flat $40 for delivery. At least i have something to rejoice about living on this small island.

capps
Aug 28, 2009, 08:55 AM
I am going to make the trip to IKEA tomorrow, but I need your help.

If you own a MIKAEL desk, how big is the box? We only have a VW Passat, so we'll need to borrow and/or rent a car for the trip. Would the box fit into the back of a Saturn Vue or something like that? Keep in mind that we cannot fold down the back seats because my kids will be sitting there.

I would hate to make the trip only to get there and find that the box is huge and doesn't fit in my car. I also don't really want to rent a U-Haul.

rdowns
Aug 28, 2009, 09:04 AM

capps
Aug 28, 2009, 09:11 AM

You would think that would help, but it doesn't... because I don't know the dimensions of the SUV, as I haven't rented it yet. Even so, that is the dimensions of the actual desk, not the box that it comes in.

I was more so wanting responses like:

"I bought this desk and brought it home in a (insert type of vehicle here.) and didn't have any problems."

GoCubsGo
Aug 28, 2009, 09:12 AM
I am going to make the trip to IKEA tomorrow, but I need your help.

If you own a MIKAEL desk, how big is the box? We only have a VW Passat, so we'll need to borrow and/or rent a car for the trip. Would the box fit into the back of a Saturn Vue or something like that? Keep in mind that we cannot fold down the back seats because my kids will be sitting there.

I would hate to make the trip only to get there and find that the box is huge and doesn't fit in my car. I also don't really want to rent a U-Haul.

Honestly, people like you are the reason Ikea is halfway fun. I love watching people sit at the loading bay and try to strategize how to fit an entire room of furniture in their civic. :D

Then again people like me are laughed at with trucks when we're hauling something in the rain. :(

I am thinking the desk should fit if you have fold down seats.

Edit: Ikea boxing is generally not too much larger than the actual largest piece of the puzzle you have to put together. Therefore, my suspicion is that you'll be fine.

arkitect
Aug 28, 2009, 09:14 AM

Well if you have the actual table measurements without packaging and that fits, you can just strip off the packaging.

ErEn
Sep 14, 2009, 02:36 PM
Hello :) I've found this thread on google and I hope You can help me. I guess this is the only forum about IKEA mikael boards ;) so can any of You guys measure the space in the middle part of the upper section (the part where the screen can go , callmemike20 has his laptop there on photo)

I have to buy a new screen and I wonder if wide 22'' fit there :)
My mikael board is now more then 300km away so I can't do it myself.

Sorry for my bad english

Cheers
Jacob

GoCubsGo
Sep 14, 2009, 02:39 PM
Are you talking about the desk WITH the hutch?
No a 22" display will be too tall.

bc008
Sep 14, 2009, 02:40 PM
Are you talking about the desk WITH the hutch?
No a 22" display will be too tall.

too tall or too wide? I think you wont have a problem with height as the shelves are adjustable.

Freemaj
Sep 14, 2009, 03:18 PM
I'm thinking about buying this desk aswell, but it's only 2.5 ft tall, it seems like that would be really small for some reason for a desk..?
how is it?
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/40904_PE135015_S3.jpg

GGJstudios
Sep 14, 2009, 03:21 PM
I'm thinking about buying this desk aswell, but it's only 2.5 ft tall, it seems like that would be really small for some reason for a desk..?
how is it?
If you read the thread, your question has already been answered by several, including with pics.

Freemaj
Sep 14, 2009, 03:30 PM
If you read the thread, your question has already been answered by several, including with pics.

no:mad:, i was talking about how tall the desk was not to if I could fit a bigger screen on it.

melissarae
Sep 14, 2009, 03:34 PM
we bought this desk along with the filing cabinet that goes with it... and the glass top.... we LOVE it... except is anyone else annoyed at the fact that the black/brown has white accents?

ErEn
Sep 15, 2009, 01:44 AM
I'm sure that 22'' won't be too tall, I'm just worried about the width.
Unfortunately I have to buy the display before I'll be able to check my desk

So if any of You have easy acces to the desk with the hutch (or howsoever this upper part is called) can You please measure the width of the space in the middle part

That would really save my day :)

ErEn
Sep 15, 2009, 03:01 AM
how is it?
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/40904_PE135015_S3.jpg

It's just perfect for office work, higher desk tend to be less comfortable

JasonR
Sep 15, 2009, 12:52 PM
The desk is definitely not ergonomically correct. It's too tall to be used with my aeron chair. Drives me nuts! I guess I can just cut it down...if only I had a table saw!

Lewis22
Sep 19, 2009, 08:18 AM
I am in a similar boat. We got the desk with upper part, got it all set up and I was blown away at how perfectly my Gateway HD2200 22" fit it the middle section.
... and then my Gateway died.
I am now shopping for another display that will fit.

To answer your question - 20 5/8" (524mm) is the width of the middle opening.

I was surprised to discover a 21.5" Dell display wouldn't fit because they use 16:9 aspect ratio and must have a slightly larger bezel.
But if you check the physical dimensions and they are 20.5" or smaller you should be fine and have a fabulous looking set-up.

If I find a photo of it set up with the 22" display I'll try to post it.

Hello :) I've found this thread on google and I hope You can help me. I guess this is the only forum about IKEA mikael boards ;) so can any of You guys measure the space in the middle part of the upper section (the part where the screen can go , callmemike20 has his laptop there on photo)

I have to buy a new screen and I wonder if wide 22'' fit there :)
My mikael board is now more then 300km away so I can't do it myself.

Sorry for my bad english

Cheers
Jacob

Thanks
Lewis22

Mark72501
Sep 19, 2009, 09:05 AM
Ikea definitely rips some people off on the shipping. I order a few small desk accessory items several months ago to give to a guy headed to college and the shipping was $35 and the total of the items was ~$20. But, that's not the point of my post...

Go to eBay and search "Ikea Mikael" and check the results. You will find sellers have the items you may be looking for with MUCH more reasonable shipping fees. Just a suggestion...worth a shot, eh? :)

a*ho
Oct 1, 2009, 11:34 PM
i've had my desk for a couple of months now and its a good size desk..not too big and not too small... doesn't hurt your pockets either bout 180 for the desk shelve and the glass top.. it was a pain trying to get the glass. Every single time I went it was sold out.

too bad they didn't make it in medium brown :mad:

ec51
Oct 4, 2009, 10:06 AM
Hey guys...

I am really thinking about getting this desk, I just wanted to know a couple of things first.

The room I am thinking about putting the desk into - I would love to have the desk flush up against the wall. I noticed there are no holes for wires or anything. I understand I can just back the desk off the wall a little bit - the I feel two holes in opposite corners would make everything look a lot neater.

Has anyone tried drilling holes into the desk and then finishing off with caps from Staples or something?

Masters512
Oct 7, 2009, 05:05 PM
is the black version of the desk actually black or is it brownish black cause on the website it is described as "black-brown" but in the pics it doesnt seem to show any hint of brown... :confused:

simplymuzik3
Oct 7, 2009, 06:55 PM
is the black version of the desk actually black or is it brownish black cause on the website it is described as "black-brown" but in the pics it doesnt seem to show any hint of brown... :confused:

It is blackish brown. I had one for 3 years, no problems. Now I took my parents old desk which basically looks the exact same except slightly bigger. The black/brown colour is nice :D Looks expensive IMO.

Also someone was asking if it could hold a Mac Pro. The desk is rated for 66lbs I think? I put my G5 on it which was about 55, plus my monitor, printer etc. It was perfectly fine when I had it on. Although when I first put it on I was so scared that the desk might collapse!

I wish Ikea made a cheaper L-Shape desk like this one. I would buy that right away!

doubleohseven
Oct 7, 2009, 07:16 PM

Yeeahhh.... the black brown is just a dark dark brown. I was close to buying a Mikael desk yesterday until I bought this (http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/S99870863) desk instead. The wood colour is identical on both desks. In fact, I'm pretty sure the black-brown is the same colour with all Ikea products in black-brown... my 'Lack' shelves are black brown and they are the same colour as my desk.

It does look like it's black on the website, but in real life it's just a dark dark brown.

gnudi
Nov 8, 2009, 08:29 AM
How stable is the desk 'Mikael'? Has anyone tried it with a 27" iMac?
Does the desk pick up any vibrations when typing?

Gordy
Nov 8, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hey guys...

I am really thinking about getting this desk, I just wanted to know a couple of things first.

The room I am thinking about putting the desk into - I would love to have the desk flush up against the wall. I noticed there are no holes for wires or anything. I understand I can just back the desk off the wall a little bit - the I feel two holes in opposite corners would make everything look a lot neater.

Has anyone tried drilling holes into the desk and then finishing off with caps from Staples or something?

That would work fine. I've drilled a hole in mine for a monitor mount. (That isn't something I'd advise to anyone else though!)

How stable is the desk 'Mikael'? Has anyone tried it with a 27" iMac?
Does the desk pick up any vibrations when typing?

Mine picks up some vibrations, but so will any desk.

Supa_Fly
Nov 8, 2009, 05:05 PM

I know!! Its almost beckoning me to watch Fight Club ...

But it defines who I am.
'You are NOT your furniture".

Surely there are other furniture shops that provide such crisp, and better quality stylish desks, chairs, etc for your offices? Does all these Mac purchases leave you all broke?

ReanimationLP
Nov 8, 2009, 05:20 PM
I was looking at getting a few of these desks and making a nice, big L shaped desk for my two machines and printers.

Then I saw the weight limit.

My main PC would make that desk break alone, not to mention my 4 CRT monitors. :(

DPH
Nov 8, 2009, 05:57 PM
Hi here is my Ikea Mikael desk with the glass on top of it. I bought it in Ikea Store in Oslo, Norway.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9194/pb090045.jpg

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7689/pb090042p.jpg

messedkid
Nov 8, 2009, 10:28 PM
Hi here is my Ikea Mikael desk with the glass on top of it. I bought it in Ikea Store in Oslo, Norway.

</snip>

Very nice.
What are the cubes with 00 35 14 on them? 24 hour clock? Doomsday countdown? Calendar from a different universe where months start at 00 days, and the year has 35 months (and it's the year 14 something)?

DPH
Nov 9, 2009, 01:38 PM
Very nice.
What are the cubes with 00 35 14 on them? 24 hour clock? Doomsday countdown? Calendar from a different universe where months start at 00 days, and the year has 35 months (and it's the year 14 something)?

HAHA, its a clock the time is 00:35:14 hour:minutes:secounds :) you can buy it on http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/99fc/ its really great! i found it myself on macrumors, the only problem was that by the time i got it working here in Norway i had used 177 $ but its really great:)

iWoz
Nov 9, 2009, 04:59 PM
I got the desk on Saturday, didnt go for the glass top as we're heading into winter here.. and it would freeze my arms lol

mdwsta4
Nov 17, 2009, 06:49 PM
my old mikael setups. i sold the desk after about two years because i didn't need all the space. my desk now is much smaller. for the price, it's hard to beat.

http://images31.fotki.com/v1093/photos/5/51621/396461/desk2-vi.jpg

http://images44.fotki.com/v1358/photos/5/51621/396461/IMG_8451-vi.jpg

Watabou
Nov 17, 2009, 10:42 PM
my old mikael setups. i sold the desk after about two years because i didn't need all the space. my desk now is much smaller. for the price, it's hard to beat.

Love your setup!
I'm planning on buying Mikael too with the filing cabinet addon for my dorm in college.

I don't know if I should go for the glass top or not though. How are you liking it with the glass?

mdwsta4
Nov 18, 2009, 11:09 AM
Like I said, I sold the desk a while back. Depending on the size of your dorm room, it's a pretty large sized desk.
The glass top was fine although it would slide around from time to time. It could also get scratched fairly easily. I think one of my textbooks scratched it simply from sliding it!

I'll have to take a picture of my new setup one of these days.

Love your setup!
I'm planning on buying Mikael too with the filing cabinet addon for my dorm in college.

I don't know if I should go for the glass top or not though. How are you liking it with the glass?

wvuwhat
Nov 19, 2009, 02:04 AM
Just picked up the desk today, along with a few other things... I'm loving it.

Joemero
Nov 19, 2009, 01:36 PM
Does anyone know of something comparable at Target? I don't have an Ikea anywhere close by, and don't want to pay for shipping.