PDA

View Full Version : Sex drive link to prostate cancer

edesignuk
Jan 26, 2009, 09:46 AM
Men who are more sexually active in their 20s and 30s may run a higher risk of prostate cancer, research suggests.BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7850666.stm).

oh noes, I'm doomed! :eek: :D

xUKHCx
Jan 26, 2009, 09:49 AM
Where is the Ron Jeremy picture when you need it.

Although the one in the article is just as bad

yellow
Jan 26, 2009, 09:53 AM
Damn, I thought it was the other way around. I'm ****ed.

edesignuk
Jan 26, 2009, 09:54 AM
Damn, I thought it was the other way around. I'm ****ed.I LOL'd :D

xUKHCx, for good measure: http://up.edesignuk.com/files/1/Images/Smilies/RonWink.gif

iBlue
Jan 26, 2009, 09:56 AM
That photo really is awful, but I laughed.

I don't get these studies. One says too little is bad, now we hear too much of a good thing isn't. I think these studies were carried out by men who can't get any or by wives who are tired of putting out. :p They're trying to ruin it for the rest of us! The bastards. I choose to believe this because it suits me better without looking like an uncaring wife.

yellow
Jan 26, 2009, 09:59 AM
Actually, I think it's a study run by the ladies who want more significantly foreplay. :eek:

mperkins37
Jan 26, 2009, 10:35 AM
Well, It's been nice knowing you guys, I'm a goner......:(

yellow
Jan 26, 2009, 10:37 AM
Well, It's been nice knowing you guys, I'm a goner......:(

Given the title... Know us? or "Know us?" :D

Consultant
Jan 26, 2009, 11:10 AM
So much for journalistic integrity. Sure, read the whole article and say it could be anything.

Last sentence in the article:

"The sample used in the study is also relatively small, making it difficult to draw any universal conclusions."

GSMiller
Jan 26, 2009, 12:43 PM

If there is any truth to either study, then they both could be correct. It's like if you drive your car everyday, it could be bad on the engine. But driving your car only once a month or every now and then could be just as bad on the engine. Everything is good in moderation I guess.

leekohler
Jan 26, 2009, 12:58 PM
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7850666.stm).

oh noes, I'm doomed! :eek: :D

You're doomed? What does that make me? Already dead? :eek::D

calculus
Jan 26, 2009, 01:02 PM
Better out than in I say...

Keebler
Jan 26, 2009, 01:39 PM
greaaaaat. just what we need...another excuse for the 'excuse bag'. :o

i think the study sucks...as someone else noted, the last sentence confirms the sample group was small so results aren't universal.

I've often wondered about the effect of vasectomies on prostrate cancer. that's alot of stuff not ejected which are absorbed into the body.

mkrishnan
Jan 26, 2009, 01:48 PM
So much for journalistic integrity. Sure, read the whole article and say it could be anything.

People always say that in studies... a sample size of 400 cancer participants and an equal number of controls actually is very good.

I was kind of surprised too, since there is research that says that masturbation lowers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3072021.stm) the risk. I haven't seen the scientific publication for the study yet, but I wonder if they considered how much unprotected sex the men had, and whether it's possible that transmission of some generally innocuous virus is a risk factor for prostate cancer in the way that HPV is for cervical cancer. I have heard a little bit about some possible candidate viruses....

skunk
Jan 26, 2009, 01:56 PM
Better out than in I say...Are you a Catholic?

Sun Baked
Jan 26, 2009, 02:05 PM
People always say that in studies... a sample size of 400 cancer participants and an equal number of controls actually is very good.

I was kind of surprised too, since there is research that says that masturbation lowers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3072021.stm) the risk. I haven't seen the scientific publication for the study yet, but I wonder if they considered how much unprotected sex the men had, and whether it's possible that transmission of some generally innocuous virus is a risk factor for prostate cancer in the way that HPV is for cervical cancer. I have heard a little bit about some possible candidate viruses....

:confused:

Must be bleach blondes... or silicone poisoning.

AppleMatt
Jan 26, 2009, 02:08 PM
If anyone shows this to my partner I will hunt you down and shoot you like a dog.

It's hard enough negotiating for it as it is (apparently taking it just isn't on).

AppleMatt

j26
Jan 26, 2009, 02:09 PM
... the sample group was small so results aren't universal...

So could penis size be the issue then, rather than activity level?

yellow
Jan 26, 2009, 02:10 PM
If anyone shows this to my partner I will hunt you down and shoot you like a dog.

It's hard enough negotiating for it as it is (apparently taking it just isn't on).

AppleMatt

LOL.. so in other words, you're telling your partner:
"Come on, I need to keep my prostate healthy!"

I'm surprised that works. :)

calculus
Jan 26, 2009, 02:20 PM
Are you a Catholic?

I withdraw my comment...

Abstract
Jan 26, 2009, 03:02 PM

Me too. :confused: Masturbation 'cuts cancer risk' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3072021.stm)

I thought that for 5-10 minutes a day, I was an oncologist.

mkrishnan
Jan 26, 2009, 03:22 PM
Me too. :confused: Masturbation 'cuts cancer risk' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3072021.stm)

I thought that for 5-10 minutes a day, I was an oncologist.

New Research Reveals That Dungeons & Dragons, Not Masturbation, Responsible for Cancer Prevention

BBC
26 January 2009

Embarrassed researchers revealed today that they now believe that it is the playing of Dungeons and Dragons, and not the act of masturbation, that has the anti-cancer properties previously conferred on the latter. The researchers reported that they had neglected to ask participants in the earlier study how much time they spent playing role playing games. They promise that a new study, which they will be publishing today, indicates that, while it may appear that masturbation reduces the risk of cancer, this is wholly due to a statistical effect they term "shared variance." Said the lead researcher, "As it happens, the individuals in our study who masturbated the most frequently played the most Dungeons & Dragons. Among those who masturbated only sparingly, role playing games were almost unheard of." The new study also identifies various other anti-cancer behaviors, including listening to out of date heavy metal music, driving a 1980 Oldsmobile station wagon, and living in one's mother's basement.

AppleMatt
Jan 26, 2009, 03:35 PM
LOL.. so in other words, you're telling your partner:
"Come on, I need to keep my prostate healthy!"

I'm surprised that works. :)

I rotate the arguments I choose, she's pretty forgetful :)

AppleMatt

OutThere
Jan 26, 2009, 09:44 PM
******* me. Er. Don't. I mean....whatever I'm ********* anyway.:D

channerhewitt
Feb 1, 2009, 10:20 PM
This is terrible...I think this study gives a great conclusion. Men doesn't think it would happen like that..:D

XnavxeMiyyep
Feb 1, 2009, 10:40 PM
According to the article about masturbation lowering risk posted earlier, the reason why masturbation lowered risk more than sex was because an STI could increase your risk of prostate cancer, while OP's article doesn't mention STIs.

So obviously, the solution is to have lots of safe sex!

n8236
Feb 2, 2009, 03:24 AM
Does masturbation count?

Edit: nm