Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
I am running XP on VMware 2.01 and I was wondering what are the best settings to run it at. Is their a downside to have it running 2 cpus and max ram as well? Will OSX go really slugish? It says something about memory swapping occuring, what is this?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Give us some specs on what Mac you're running it on. Also, what settings are you trying to set up on the VM?

Swap means using the hard drive as RAM when you run out of RAM.

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
I am trying to run it on a new alumbook 2.0 stock. I have it set now to 768 on XP and 1 cpu. But I notice both XP and OSX are a bit sluggish with this set. If I set it to two gigs RAM and two CPUs will OSX be slow and XP flying?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
You need more RAM to make anything run any faster.
With 2GB of RAM, I wouldn't set the VM to have anymore than 648MB of RAM max, while 512MB being suggested for OS X performance.

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
I plan on going up to 4 ones the prices for ddr3 go down a bit, what should I set it to then?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
With 4GB, you should be fine setting it to 2GB. As for how many CPUs it uses, since your Mac only has 2 "CPUs" (cores, actually), I wouldn't set it to any more than 1 CPU in the VM.

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
With 4GB, you should be fine setting it to 2GB. As for how many CPUs it uses, since your Mac only has 2 "CPUs" (cores, actually), I wouldn't set it to any more than 1 CPU in the VM.

This is a good recommendation, I typically allocate between 2GB to 4GB, but I have 8GB in my machine so it allows me. Generally you shouldn't have more then 50% of your cores available to your VMs, and no more then 75% of your total ram allocated to your VMs provided you have at least 2GB available to OSX.

PilotWoo

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
RAM allocation is important, but if you can, move your VM to a drive other than your OSX system drive, to spread the IO. I have a 2GB MBP, and allocate 1GB to XP. When running from separate hard drives, the two machines are noticeably quicker than when running on the same drive.

dkeninitz

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2003
Germantown, MD
Not sure what the optimal settings would be, but when I decided to give it a try on my Mac Pro, I bought a separate 500GB hard drive and added 4GB of RAM to my existing 6GB. I was planning to upgrade my RAM anyway, so I didn't give the full increment to Win7. I'm now running Win7 under VMware Fusion 2.0 on the separate 500GB drive, with 2GB of RAM allocated, w/ one processor. It runs very fast, faster than I probably need it to, given that I don't need it for much other than Excel (the Mac version doesn't support VB or macros). It runs a LOT faster than XP does on my work-issued two year-old IBM T43 w/ 1GB of RAM. A LOT faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.