Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

network23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2002
Illinois
I've been having problems with multiple iTunes accounts, so I finally decided to create a single account the entire family can use.

Right now, I'm away from my computer and did not sync my iPhone to the new account yet. When I try to download an app, it asks for the password to one of my previous accounts.

Is there any way to change the account it asks the password for on the iPhone?

akame

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2009
u have to connect to itunes and sign out from the previous account.

connect the usb cable to your iphone and sign out from itunes from your computer and u find u are signed out.:D

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey
Here is a fun question to which I think the answer is no.

Can you have more than one account authorized on iTunes? If so can you buy apps on both accounts and put them on one phone at the same time?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Here is a fun question to which I think the answer is no.

Can you have more than one account authorized on iTunes? If so can you buy apps on both accounts and put them on one phone at the same time?

I don't know about apps, but I have music bought from 2 accounts and they both play fine on my phone.

Well, now that I think about it, I've never checked. But I've had the phone since July, surely I'd have run into SOME problem by now if they didn't work. That hasn't happened.

network23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2002
Illinois
Heh. If you want to know real madness, have apps on your iPhone from two accounts where one of those accounts hasn't been authorized yet on the computer you sync your iPhone to!

I'm in this situation right now. App Store on the phone will say I have 8 apps to update (one of my accounts). Then I check 10 minutes later, it says I have 3 apps to update, which are completely different and bought with the other account.

No rhyme or reason as to why or when it switches from one account to another in the iPhone. So, if I want to get an app under a particular account, I have to play App Store Roulette until the account I want comes up!

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey
Heh. If you want to know real madness, have apps on your iPhone from two accounts where one of those accounts hasn't been authorized yet on the computer you sync your iPhone to!

I'm in this situation right now. App Store on the phone will say I have 8 apps to update (one of my accounts). Then I check 10 minutes later, it says I have 3 apps to update, which are completely different and bought with the other account.

No rhyme or reason as to why or when it switches from one account to another in the iPhone. So, if I want to get an app under a particular account, I have to play App Store Roulette until the account I want comes up!

wow, Im gonna get a friends password and some apps he bought and see what happens to me ha.

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
wow, Im gonna get a friends password and some apps he bought and see what happens to me ha.

Its publicly known that you can share your apps with anyone. its obviously not advisable for your own security that you do not share your itunes log in with others.... but if there are family members you trust that also have an account with purchased apps, simply by exchanging user/pass info you can share purchased apps easily, as they can be infitely re-downloaded for free from the original purchase account.

if your mother or brother has an iPhone and purchased apps, u can even log in once form your pc itunes, dl all their apps after some searching, and log out...poof done. All those apps are yours and can be updated, as long as u retain the ability to log in and use that password.

Again, don't do this with anyone you don't trust implicitly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.