Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobalpha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
hello,

my dad unbeknownst to me ordered a refurbed 15 inch 1 ghz superdrive pbook.

He got it for 2,000.

Good deal or should I cancel the order and wait till the new possible updates in march/april.

I'm a student who needs it for FCP, web design, some gaming(halo), and audio recording.

Plus, all the inputs are in the rear, unlike the side style of the alumnium.

what do ya think??

Thanks. I'am willing to wait till the new updates, I got nothing to lose except waiting for price drops and new revisions.

phrac

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2004
well I just picked up a 1.25ghz superdrive ap extreme refurb for 2099 plus tax, which is a pretty good deal. I really love it. I am actually posting it right now while watching tv.

If you need it now, I say just buy it. This machine is very fast and I am very happy with it so far. This is my first laptop and my first Mac and everything is going smoothly (knock on wood).

hobalpha said:
hello,

my dad unbeknownst to me ordered a refurbed 15 inch 1 ghz superdrive pbook.

He got it for 2,000.

Good deal or should I cancel the order and wait till the new possible updates in march/april.

I'm a student who needs it for FCP, web design, some gaming(halo), and audio recording.

Plus, all the inputs are in the rear, unlike the side style of the alumnium.

what do ya think??

Thanks. I'am willing to wait till the new updates, I got nothing to lose except waiting for price drops and new revisions.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
If it was the Titanium model, then no, it probably wasnt a good deal. The Aluminum ones (1.25ghz) for 2,000 is pretty good deal I would guess.

Are you sure it was the Titanium model?

hobalpha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
agreenster said:
If it was the Titanium model, then no, it probably wasnt a good deal. The Aluminum ones (1.25ghz) for 2,000 is pretty good deal I would guess.

Are you sure it was the Titanium model?

Yep it is a titanium. It is also a refurbed one from apple store. My mac conscience is telling me to tell him to cancel it and wait a month. Gotta get my money's worth!!!

Are there any major performance, spec differences between the two models??

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
The TiBook is genrally outperformed by the new 12" 1GHz while the 15" 1.25 quite a bit faster plus you get a new better form factor, USB 2, backlit keyboard, faster superdrive (2x speed), bigger HD, bluetooth built in, better memory architecture, FW800, much better graphics card (ATI 9600)... the list goes on.

I'd take back the TiBook now. A current 1.25GHz model will be much better, not to mention the newer models that will probably be out in a month or two. Conincidently, this coming Tuesday marks exactly 6 months since the last PowerBook rev came out on September 16th (not that that means anything, mind).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.