Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
my beloved girlfriend gave me an Apple Wireless Bluetooth mouse for my birthday, what a gal, she knows my tastes too well.

anyways i'm using it with my G4 powerbook, and i love it, but i travel alot as an electronic musician and was wondering what kind of battery life i can expect? i have a rechargable AA battery kit from radioshack and i'd like to know if i need to bring that with me every month to europe? or will the batteries last a good month to two months at a time?

also, a mini-review.... i love this mouse, i really like the weight of it. i have to use a mouse on the stage when i am performing to do a few specific tasks in the Ableton Live 3.0 application, stuff like dragging audio loops to another channel after they've been used in a performance (not very fun to do with the touchpad).
I've been using the Logitech MX700, and all the features and extra buttons on it are great, but its wireless applications are limited in that it needs to be plugged into USB, and also into a power outlet to charge. The self charging of the MX700 is great and i recommend it for desktop mac's. I occasionally had the mouse jet off on me, and i suffice it to a buggy Logitech OS X driver (it seems there is one driver for all logitech mouses. enough of the logitech, back to the Apple mouse... there is a tension switch (either high or low), i prefer the low setting but people who are heavy handed with the mouse may like the high tension setting to keep from accidental mouse clicks.

Other than occupying a USB port, another reason i prefer a wireles mouse for my live performance is the extra weight that the batteries give to the mouse. The style of music i perform is very bass heavy, and often enough with a wired (lightweight) mouse, the bass on stage moves the mouse from its position which is annoying. This one doesnt seem to move at all, even when i bump the table or desk it sits on. $69 is a little steep but it was a gift so it was perfectly priced for me! i recommend it to any single-button fanatics.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i have the wireless mouse, i have rechargeable batteries for it from energizer which work great with it....but i use it everyday from the morning until i go to bed, so it gets quite extensive use, and perhaps i dont always let the batteries get a full charge before i put them into the mouse so i get about a month to a month and a half of use out of the batteries, but if you have the batteries fully charged and all that it should last you a while, but to be on the safe side i would keep around an extra set in case of emergancies...better safe than sorry...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
In a word, terrible. Mine was also a gift. I've gone through three changes of batteries in less than three months. So I'd say, 4-5 weeks per. Oddly lithium cells don't seem to last much if any longer than alkaline cells. I'm trying NiMh rechargeables in it now. I doubt they'll last more than a couple of weeks but at least I won't be tossing them out. I can't imagine why this mouse burns batteries they way it does. I've also got a Logitech and it goes 3-4 months on alkaline cells.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Hmmm. I want to pick up an Apple wireless mouse when I go to the states in May (half price there you see). I already have a mouse but this one is to use while I'm out and about with my little 12" PB.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
i've got wto words for you: stop whining.

everybody knows batteries stop working at some point, and it's all up to you (and the work you are doing) if you want to keep spare batteries with you or don't. if you can have a month of use with one set of batteries, that's fine. don't whine. exchange batteries as often as you need to. it's cheap, and the price you will need to pay to get rid of that annoying wire.

to get things into perspective, i have weekly gigs with my band and we have wireless mics & monitors. six of us are using two 9v batteries each for every gig. that's 10 euros per night. totalling a hundred a month taken rehearsals into account. and we don't whine about wireless mouse consuming two AA batteries a month.

geta grip, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
JFreak said:
i've got wto words for you: stop whining.

everybody knows batteries stop working at some point, and it's all up to you (and the work you are doing) if you want to keep spare batteries with you or don't. if you can have a month of use with one set of batteries, that's fine. don't whine. exchange batteries as often as you need to. it's cheap, and the price you will need to pay to get rid of that annoying wire.

to get things into perspective, i have weekly gigs with my band and we have wireless mics & monitors. six of us are using two 9v batteries each for every gig. that's 10 euros per night. totalling a hundred a month taken rehearsals into account. and we don't whine about wireless mouse consuming two AA batteries a month.

geta grip, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
Actually, I'm not sure anyone is whining ;)

We all accept that batteries run out. People just want to know what to expect so that they don't get caught short.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
johnnyjibbs said:
Actually, I'm not sure anyone is whining ;)

We all accept that batteries run out. People just want to know what to expect so that they don't get caught short.

Precisely, thank you. In addition to the expense, some of us with environmental concerns don't like throwing out quite so many dead batteries. As I pointed out above, the Logitech wireless mouse runs for months on one set of alkaline cells. It's not clear why the Apple wireless mouse is comparatively such a voracious beast.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
IJ Reilly said:
In a word, terrible. Mine was also a gift. I've gone through three changes of batteries in less than three months. So I'd say, 4-5 weeks per. Oddly lithium cells don't seem to last much if any longer than alkaline cells. I'm trying NiMh rechargeables in it now. I doubt they'll last more than a couple of weeks but at least I won't be tossing them out. I can't imagine why this mouse burns batteries they way it does. I've also got a Logitech and it goes 3-4 months on alkaline cells.
Funny...I've had mine nearly as long as you and I'm still on my first set. Do you use yours all day?

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
IJ Reilly said:

Really? I got mine for Christmas and just replaced the batteries. That's about 3 months - on the one included pair. I would recommend that you bring the charger with you just in case, adamjay. You never know...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.