PDA

View Full Version : Who can save Microsoft?

MacBytes
Jan 26, 2009, 09:32 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Who can save Microsoft? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090126223239)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

PCMacUser
Jan 26, 2009, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't pay too much attention to everything this guy writes...

The comments on the job cuts, etc, mean nothing. This is simply a reflection of the US economy this year. Heck, the same news website features a front page article about how the Superbowl can't sell all of its advertisement slots.

If Microsoft starts asking the US government for multi-billion dollar handouts, then we can start asking questions.

DaReal_Dionysus
Jan 26, 2009, 10:16 PM
I wouldn't pay too much attention to everything this guy writes...

I am forced to agree with PCMacUser, that article is nonsense. Microsoft is cutting jobs of really no value and it will not hurt them in the long run.

Arcadie
Jan 26, 2009, 11:01 PM
Who can save microsoft?
No one can "Save" microsoft. The article should have been written about "who can end microsoft" Their are only 2 real possibilities for this...

1 Ubuntu catches on like crazy due to the fact more regular consumers are using it due to the wide variety of netbooks with ubuntu as their OS. These netbooks may be the "Gateway drug" to a unix based consumer world.

OR

2 Apple decides to sell open hardware OSX that is able to be installed onto any computer for a price close to what Vista/7 doese/will cost.

Other than that, i don't see Microsoft needing to be "Saved"

alexbates
Jan 26, 2009, 11:17 PM
Who can save microsoft?
No one can "Save" microsoft. The article should have been written about "who can end microsoft" Their are only 2 real possibilities for this...

1 Ubuntu catches on like crazy due to the fact more regular consumers are using it due to the wide variety of netbooks with ubuntu as their OS. These netbooks may be the "Gateway drug" to a unix based consumer world.

OR

2 Apple decides to sell open hardware OSX that is able to be installed onto any computer for a price close to what Vista/7 doese/will cost.

Other than that, i don't see Microsoft needing to be "Saved"

Agreed. No one can save Microsoft. Microsoft should not be saved, just like GM and Ford should NOT be saved. GM and Ford also cannot be saved unless they change that union policy.

mkoval11
Jan 26, 2009, 11:18 PM
Lets face it, Microsoft is in deep trouble. The Zune is a joke, their hardware teams build terrible peripherals and Vista will go down as the worst OS in history, Windows ME looks rocks solid compared to Vista: Windows 7 looks a little later but compared to OS X, its a weak "want to be". Microsoft needs to reinvent themselves to stay relevant which means they will need to be a smaller company. Competition from the cloud will be intense. Is Apple their savior, not in this lifetime. Is Microsoft going away, no but are they in a world of hurt? Yes. I only hope that Steve is alive to see that in the end he was right.

ImageWrangler
Jan 26, 2009, 11:25 PM
Agreed. No one can save Microsoft. Microsoft should not be saved, just like GM and Ford should NOT be saved. GM and Ford also cannot be saved unless they change that union policy.

Yes, because the fact they design and produce ugly crappy cars that aren't fuel efficient is all the union's fault?:rolleyes:

Not OT either because M$ makes ugly crappy UIs that aren't efficient, like someone upthread said, why bail out companies that make crap, be it autos or operating systems. Though M$ sadly still has a long way to go to be in the hole Detroit has.

raejae
Jan 26, 2009, 11:31 PM
their hardware teams build terrible peripherals

Funny, the keyboards and mice I buy from them are rock-solid and last far longer than the ones I buy from Logitech.

Windows ME looks rocks solid compared to Vista

Have you even used Vista?

I'm just as much of a Mac fan as anybody else here... but frankly, at this point in time, Vista is really not bad. It got off to a rocky start, and the media has been unfriendly to it, but the driver issues that plagued it in the beginning are really non-existent now, and I far prefer Vista to XP on my work computer.

Uninformed comments like that just make it sound like you're chewing up and spitting out the two-year-old mass media reviews.

luminosity
Jan 26, 2009, 11:59 PM
I disagree about Vista vs. XP. Dell is still offering XP on its new computers, which is astounding. XP is now well over seven years old and much of the business community and many home users still prefer it over Vista, and with good reason.

If you believe in market forces speaking loudest, well, that speaks with the power of a large megaphone.

PCMacUser
Jan 27, 2009, 12:02 AM
Have you even used Vista?

I'm just as much of a Mac fan as anybody else here... but frankly, at this point in time, Vista is really not bad. It got off to a rocky start, and the media has been unfriendly to it, but the driver issues that plagued it in the beginning are really non-existent now, and I far prefer Vista to XP on my work computer.

I use Vista 95% of the time. I'm using it right now. It's not as bad as people (on here particularly) say it is, but it's nowhere near as stable and intuitive and fast as Windows XP. I'm really looking forward to Windows 7 because it will hopefully be the best of XP and Vista combined.

Winni
Jan 27, 2009, 08:16 AM
When you own the market for computer desktop software as Microsoft undoubtedly does, then you certainly don't need to be saved by anybody. And scratching a few job positions from your payroll that are of no significance to the companies main revenue source certainly does not indicate that the company is in trouble, either.

As for the Vista/XP debate:
Vista SP1 64-Bit is not only robust and stable, it's also fast - faster than OS X Leopard on the SAME Mac Pro.

Leopard also had a very rocky start, only that Mac users are maddeningly "forgiving". Just like Microsoft, it also took Apple multiple updates to their latest OS to make it acceptable. Both Microsoft and Apple released immature, unfinished software. Period.

Why is Dell still shipping computers with a pre-installed XP? Well. Imagine you are a huge customer like your next-door corporation with 100,000 installed computer systems, all based upon Windows XP. And you are now buying, let's say, 10,000 new desktop computers. Would you buy them with your tested and compatible corporate-standard-software or with new, untested and maybe incompatible software that you just cannot integrate into your IT landscape?

This is not Apple's always-the-latest-and-greatest consumer world that we are talking about here. Businesses are very slow to adopt new software, and they only upgrade when it fits into their long term strategy. Upgrading to a new operating system changes a lot of variables in your business plan, and usually nobody wants to do it unless there is a good reason for it.

I know many companies who have never upgraded from Windows NT 4 to Windows 2000 - they "just skipped" this update and went to XP and Server 2003 instead. I also know of companies who upgraded to Windows 2000, but skipped the Windows XP and 2003 step instead and are now upgrading to Vista and Server 2008.

Should Microsoft be afraid of "cloud computing"? In all honesty, I don't think so. Even web browsers need an operating system to run on and Microsoft is doing very well in the server market. Many startup companies are basing their business on the very popular .NET-technology - which, thanks to Mono, even works on Linux - and I just don't believe that the desktop is going away.

Unless Terabit-Internet connections are available for free around the globe in any location and accessible for anybody, the desktop just CANNOT disappear.

I can't imagine using software like Aperture or Photoshop "in the cloud". And, what's even more to the point: I wouldn't want to. I want MY data on MY hardware. Period.

Microsoft has always been able to change itself, to accept a new challenge and to fight until
it wins. In an ever-changing business industry, this has always been a constant factor.

No, I don't think that Microsoft is in trouble and needs to be saved.

ditzy
Jan 27, 2009, 10:41 AM
Vista will go down as the worst OS in history, Windows ME looks rocks solid compared to Vista:

Let me start by saying I love OSX. When I moved to OSX I made the decision that I would not go back to windows.
ME is not better than Vista. XP is not better than Vista. OSX is better than Vista, but ME is not.

PCMacUser
Jan 27, 2009, 05:48 PM
Let me start by saying I love OSX. When I moved to OSX I made the decision that I would not go back to windows.
ME is not better than Vista. XP is not better than Vista. OSX is better than Vista, but ME is not.

XP is far better than Vista. Let me count the ways...