Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superxero3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Hey everybody,
I have been reading these forums for a while now, and have decided after making the plunge into getting both the iPhone and the new MacBook to actually post something.

I got the new aluminum MacBook yesterday, and have not been able to put this thing down! I was worried going into this big purchase, a lot of which had stemmed from reading posts on here like "the screen sucks" or "macbook random crashes". But i have to say, the screen is a vast improvement over my previous 17inch Dell laptop. The MacBook screen is awesome IMO. I also thought i might regret getting a 13inch laptop because it would be small, but it really isn't at all. This computer is perfect size for me, I was already able to watch a movie on it, and use this same machine to take notes on in class (i'm in college) with out being unnecessarily obtrusive on the desk. This computer can do it all!

The multi-touch pad is still continuing to surprise me, i was surfing the web and the text just got bigger on me, and then i realized i could do the same gestures i use on the iPhone to increase the text. The three finger and four gestures are so easy and intuitive. The trackpad is way beyond any computer i have ever used... it's awesome!!

The keyboard on this thing types like a dream, and i was able to change the layout on it real easily (it was confusing on windows to change the layout of the keyboard, only some applications would recognize the switch, sometimes it wouldn't work.. etc). I also had to opt for the backlight keys, and am not ashamed to say that it was worth the +$300 for it.

Even though it has only been a day i can't really see this getting old, this computer is my first mac, and i don't think i will ever have any reason to look back again!

Also, if you are still reading..

I know there have been many threads solely on this subject.. but what should i do first?

I have already calibrated the battery (4:58 left right now!!) and have synced my iPhone and got gmail to sync with iCal and Address Book.. so any advice on what's next would be welcomed!!

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I'm glad you like your new computer! Calibrating the battery is a good first step. When I got mine, I installed Quicksilver (which replaces spotlight and has increased functionality). Enjoy!

superxero3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Thanks for the quick reply!

I got quicksilver actually, i was using ubuntu before i got my new macbook and have grown accustomed to gnome-do (the linux counter part).. quick silver is awesome... even after using gnome-do for about a year I am still just touching the surface with the things it can do

jammyf

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007
Sydney
I just entered the fray as well. I must say the keyboard is easier to type on that most stand-alone keyboards! Well happy

macwannabee

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Ditto:- enjoy :D

You might want to consider Open Office or iWork ? Purchase the latter - don't torrent (see other threads). How about an external backup drive for Time Machine ? Oh yeah, get istat for your dashboard - hours of geeky fun ! Firefox ?

schizoidwoman

macrumors regular
Ditto:- enjoy :D

You might want to consider Open Office or iWork ? Purchase the latter - don't torrent (see other threads). How about an external backup drive for Time Machine ? Oh yeah, get istat for your dashboard - hours of geeky fun ! Firefox ?

And don't forget the free 30 day trial of iWork which is downloadable from Apple... but most importantly, have fun and enjoy your new treasure!

superxero3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Ditto:- enjoy

I don't think it's possible to not enjoy this! I'm still in awe of the +4 hour battery life... I'm used to my old Dell telling me when i was done computing until i found an outlet.

I haven't purchased any office software because I am currently in a bind. My girl friend and room mate both have macbook pros (which i like to remind them how mine is so much lighter and easier to carry :) ). My room mate swears be iWork and will not use MS Office, and of course my girlfriend is the exact opposite. I have used both, but not to the extent where i could make an educated choice.

So i think i will get the free 30 day trial of iwork.. as of right now i have already used google apps to write a paper for school... and i was actually surprised at how nice it was!

Also, i haven't an external that i can use for a time machine right now, but when i get one i will definitely back up my computer. And as for iStat... i come from a Linux operating system where monitoring your system resources, cpu usage, fan speed, cpu temperature has really become a huge pain, and has only added stress to computing... is it ok to assume the MacBook has my back when it comes to turning the fans on when it starts to heat up?

superxero3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I just entered the fray as well. I must say the keyboard is easier to type on that most stand-alone keyboards! Well happy
this is the first time i have ever typed properly (not just entering a URL or searching youtube) on Mac keyboard... i was nervous because i didn't know if i would like it, and how my touch typing abilities would transfer over.. but this keyboard is absolutely amazing!!

and sometimes i wish i couldn't touch type.. just because the light up keys look so cool!

radicalcentrist

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008
Portland, OR
this is the first time i have ever typed properly (not just entering a URL or searching youtube) on Mac keyboard... i was nervous because i didn't know if i would like it, and how my touch typing abilities would transfer over.. but this keyboard is absolutely amazing!!

and sometimes i wish i couldn't touch type.. just because the light up keys look so cool!

I use XPad extensively for note taking, lists, etc. http://getxpad.com/

NetNewsWire is a great RSS reader (which syncs to your iphone as well).

I think that covers the basics for me.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
I'm had mine for about 1 month now and I'm still amazed by it. I guess all those negative posts are from folks who have been using previous Mac products. Coming from PC only background, I have never seen anything that has as good a screen, keyboard, trackpad, build quality, etc. I couldn't be happier. I put a 500 gb drive on this one so that I can manage all of my digital audio files without needing any external drives. The thing that I love about it most is the size. I find I just carry it with me everywhere. If it were a bit bigger or heavier, I probably wouldn't want to. One thing I would get is xslimmer. You can remove language files and the ppc version of programs which saves a ton of space. The other thing I would check out is Scrivener, which is a writing program that rocks. Also, appcleaner can be setup to remove all of the files associated with an app when you decide to uninstall it (i.e. delete it). Anyhow, enjoy your machine and welcome to the other side! Now you know why there are Mac Fanboyz. :D

superxero3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I use XPad extensively for note taking, lists, etc. http://getxpad.com/

NetNewsWire is a great RSS reader (which syncs to your iphone as well).

I think that covers the basics for me.

I tried out Xpad and it is an awesome program for notes! I had a chance to use it the past couple days in my classes and it is really easy and simple to use. Thanks!

Also, is there anything like solitaire for a mac, like the games that came with windows. I know it's a stupid question haha, but i've searched and have only been able to find pay versions, or 15 day trials... any one know of any free solutions?

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I tried out Xpad and it is an awesome program for notes! I had a chance to use it the past couple days in my classes and it is really easy and simple to use. Thanks!

Also, is there anything like solitaire for a mac, like the games that came with windows. I know it's a stupid question haha, but i've searched and have only been able to find pay versions, or 15 day trials... any one know of any free solutions?

I think there's osmething called solitaireXL I had, it's basic solitaire.. but it runs without a window which is cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.