Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Hey guys I had to cold boot my macbook after a freezeup. Everything runs fine except disk utility showed a verifying disk result of "needs repair." Unfortunately my dvd drive is broken. Is there anyway for me to boot it from the CD with a broken DVD drive? I have a iMac at home to if there is anyway to use its drive to bootup my macbook....

Hey guys I had to cold boot my macbook after a freezeup. Everything runs fine except disk utility showed a verifying disk result of "needs repair." Unfortunately my dvd drive is broken. Is there anyway for me to boot it from the CD with a broken DVD drive? I have a iMac at home to if there is anyway to use its drive to bootup my macbook....

tried it via FW?

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
hm, do you have any large usb drives? try putting the OS on a usb drive and boot from it.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
hm, do you have any large usb drives? try putting the OS on a usb drive and boot from it.

put the OSX on an external hard drive? how do I do that? Jsut drag all the icons into the external from the cd?

Cave Man

macrumors 604
put the OSX on an external hard drive? how do I do that? Jsut drag all the icons into the external from the cd?

Download the free Carbon Copy Cloner and clone your internal drive to the external USB2 drive (which will take a few hours). Reboot with the USB drive connected and as soon as you hear the chime press and hold the option key. When the boot volumes show on your screen, use your arrow keys to select the USB drive, then boot from that. After booting, you can launch Disk Utility from the USB2 drive and do the repair to your internal drive.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Pretty sure you can use Disk Utility on a drive mounted through Target Disk mode. As long as you have a non-unibody MacBook (black or white plastic), connect the iMac to the MacBook with a FireWire cable, and boot/restart the MacBook holding down 'T'. After the FireWire symbol starts blinking around the MacBook screen launch Disk Utility on the iMac and select the MacBook's drive which should have a orange/white icon. Run your repair operation and then eject the MacBook drive (drag to Trash) before holding down its power button to turn it off. Disconnect the cable and try booting the MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.