Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradsnoise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Halifax, Nova Scotia
What are some opinions on getting Logic Pro certification from Apple? Is it a good way to really learn all the ins and outs of the program? Does it actually make you a more desirable candidate for employment? Any thoughts would be great.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Are you referring to taking the courses and test, or studying on your own and then passing the test? Big difference in the cost.

As to whether it would help you find employment, I'd love to hear an answer to that, as well. Is there a market for someone who, rather than set up mics or make production decisions, just "runs the board." That is, uses the software so damn well that it saves everyone time and money, thus making them employable?

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
I doubt it in terms of being an engineer. Word of mouth and a track record will get you much farther than any piece of paper. It could get you some teaching gigs and certainly wouldn't hurt in terms of employment.

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
Are you referring to taking the courses and test, or studying on your own and then passing the test? Big difference in the cost.

As to whether it would help you find employment, I'd love to hear an answer to that, as well. Is there a market for someone who, rather than set up mics or make production decisions, just "runs the board." That is, uses the software so damn well that it saves everyone time and money, thus making them employable?

When a studio uses assistant engineers, they do jobs like running cables, setting up mics, run errands, get coffee (in europe, they are called Tea-Boys) and run the board. If there is more than one assistant engineer, they each may take a job, like one person just running the board. It all depends on the studio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.