PDA

View Full Version : So, my new aluminum macbook just straight up died...

Lurchdubious
Jan 27, 2009, 07:29 PM
What the heck? I had just plugged it in when the low battery popup came on, the light was on the magsafe, and the popup went away. About 10 minutes later the screen goes black and I can't turn it back on. Now, I did use my 2 yr old blackbook's power adaptor cuz it was convenient, and we have had some problems with that adaptor not giving power on occasion, but when I got out my new mac's adaptor and plugged it in the computer turned on, but had restarted (not like when you just let the charge run down, this was a full restart). AND, my battery is not charging! It says the charge time is 10:00, and iStat says health 97%, cycles 115, and charge 0%. The only thing that is changing is that iStat's charge time counter previously said 11 hrs, now says 10:28. Do I need a new battery? I've been pretty dissatisfied with the current battery, as it keeps bouncing between 100% and 97% health, whereas my old blackbook still shows 100% health after around 640 cycles.

Help?

NewMacbookPlz
Jan 27, 2009, 07:31 PM
What the heck? I had just plugged it in when the low battery popup came on, the light was on the magsafe, and the popup went away. About 10 minutes later the screen goes black and I can't turn it back on. Now, I did use my 2 yr old blackbook's power adaptor cuz it was convenient, and we have had some problems with that adaptor not giving power on occasion, but when I got out my new mac's adaptor and plugged it in the computer turned on, but had restarted (not like when you just let the charge run down, this was a full restart). AND, my battery is not charging! It says the charge time is 10:00, and iStat says health 97%, cycles 115, and charge 0%. The only thing that is changing is that iStat's charge time counter previously said 11 hrs, now says 10:28. Do I need a new battery? I've been pretty dissatisfied with the current battery, as it keeps bouncing between 100% and 97% health, whereas my old blackbook still shows 100% health after around 640 cycles.

Help?

First off, leave it plugged in and in sleep for a little while, maybe an hour, see what happens. It sounds like the Blackbook's charger wasn't working, and the computer went into its "deep sleep" mode maybe. If after an hour of charging without being used, and you still have problems, schedule a genius bar appt.

Lurchdubious
Jan 27, 2009, 07:37 PM
First off, leave it plugged in and in sleep for a little while, maybe an hour, see what happens. It sounds like the Blackbook's charger wasn't working, and the computer went into its "deep sleep" mode maybe. If after an hour of charging without being used, and you still have problems, schedule a genius bar appt.

I totally would, but I have a lot of work to do on it tonight. Plus that little scare prompted me to hook up my external HD for a good ol' time machine backup (60 gigs worth, lol). So I'll just have to leave it plugged in while I'm working and pray the battery starts taking a charge. It's just really weird that it would do this. I've let the battery run completely down before, just a few days ago, in fact, and it's never done anything like this. And the blackbook definitely never did this.

I'll update if anything changes, but has anyone ever heard of this before?

Lurchdubious
Jan 27, 2009, 08:18 PM
okay, so now it says the charge time is 9:41, and the charge is at 8%. I guess you were right about "Deep Sleep" mode. Although, I guess it wasn't sleeping; it was completely restarted. I'm still trying to find out why on earth it did this.

NewMacbookPlz
Jan 27, 2009, 09:53 PM
okay, so now it says the charge time is 9:41, and the charge is at 8%. I guess you were right about "Deep Sleep" mode. Although, I guess it wasn't sleeping; it was completely restarted. I'm still trying to find out why on earth it did this.

When the computer goes to deep sleep, you have to bring it back with the power button. Usually though, it won't go through the whole reboot process (I think). What you did, essentially, is start the battery calibration process, but didn't let it sit dead for the 4 hours or so before charging it.

Assuming it keeps on its merry way charging, and holds a charge well, you should be fine.