Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

genesis17five

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
hi everyone, im new to macforums but ive been an avid voyeuer of this particular forum. i just bought a PB 15" 1.25 Ghz, in addition, the student package included a 15 gb Ipod and 3 year apple care all for only $2339 + $30 s/h. please calm me of the remorse i have of dropping two grand in about two seconds on my purchase - i made the right decision...right? (i've been a pc user all my life and wanted something different for my next purchase) ... and i got a pretty good deal too right? i bought through a friend of mine who goes to school @ Cal. they are offering a special deal for students there. anyways, its too late now - i just hope it works out when it arrives at my door :)

stoid

macrumors 601
That is a GREAT deal. Did you get the higher or lower of the 2 models? I modded down the higher of the 2 and I LOVE it. I've never been more pleased with a computer purchase. It's a little big for the tiny campus desks here, but it's insanely awesome. I hope you love it. If you have any questions we're all here for you!

Welcome to the community. Does this switch have anything to do with your name being changed from Abram to Abraham??

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
genesis17five said:
hi everyone, im new to macforums but ive been an avid voyeuer of this particular forum. i just bought a PB 15" 1.25 Ghz, in addition, the student package included a 15 gb Ipod and 3 year apple care all for only $2339 + $30 s/h. please calm me of the remorse i have of dropping two grand in about two seconds on my purchase - i made the right decision...right? (i've been a pc user all my life and wanted something different for my next purchase) ... and i got a pretty good deal too right? i bought through a friend of mine who goes to school @ Cal. they are offering a special deal for students there. anyways, its too late now - i just hope it works out when it arrives at my door :)

You're an idiot! DON'T DO IT!! If I were you, I'd cancel the order and buy a Vaio ZR1.

[/sarcasm]

That was a great deal, and believe me, you're going to enjoy it. I just bought a 15" PB and have found it easy to use. I suggest Pogue's Missing Manual for Panther which will help you out a ton. I haven't used a Mac in 14yrs. and I found my way around after a day or two. You got a great deal, great laptop, and you won't regret it! Good luck!!

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Hey man!

I just ordered a 12'' Powerbook yesterday! I too am a long time PC user. I think you made a good choice. Hopefully mine will arrive this week so I can begin learning OSX and all its niceties.

Don't worry about it, you made a good choice.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
That's actually a great deal. Unless you're a hardcore gamer or do CAD work, it should suit you fine. Minor gaming, office, and creative work are all pretty good on the Mac. And the learning curve isn't that steep. I think you'll like iLife.

And the best part is, if you really hate it (which I doubt), you can always sell it and recoup most (if not all) of what you spent. Macs have a really high resale value, and AppleCare is transferable.

The only reason you might be kicking yourseslf would be a minor speed bump in a couple of months. But by then you'll have had plenty of use out of yours already, and you wouldn't have gotten such a great deal.

Plus if you have any problems with it, between us and AppleCare, you'll be set.

evil

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
i really do not see how you could be disappointed with the machine when you get it.
rest assured your purchase was an excellent choice if it was time for a new laptop.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I'd have to agree... I think the 15" is the finest engineered laptops I have ever used in my 20-odd years of computer life. And the price you got? I paid more than that and didn't get an iPod, so you're sitting pretty. Good job, and welcome to the oddly comforting Mac world.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
genesis17five said:

Give us the specs

Tell us what your using it for

Let us know how its going with the switch

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
genesis17five said:

I'll cure you of your remorse, I just went to the Irish Apple Store and priced that exact bundle - (no student discount, no 'special deal') and it costs $4,690 at the current exchange rate. Hope that cheered you up ('cos it certainly depressed me!)

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
whooleytoo said:
I'll cure you of your remorse, I just went to the Irish Apple Store and priced that exact bundle - (no student discount, no 'special deal') and it costs $4,690 at the current exchange rate. Hope that cheered you up ('cos it certainly depressed me!)

I should start another side business... sending Macs to our overseas friends! I can save you $1,600.00 right now.
Cork? How does it feel to live in a country that is not certifyably insane?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Les Kern said:
I should start another side business... sending Macs to our overseas friends! I can save you $1,600.00 right now.

You probably could give up your day job! Particularly in accessories, the costs here are ridiculous. For instance, 90 euros (about $110) was the cheapest Bluetooth adapter I could find here, so I bought off Ebay; 2 for 70 euros including shipping.. crazy.

Cork? How does it feel to live in a country that is not certifyably insane?

St. Paddy's Day is 2 days away.. ask me after! ;)

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
genesis17five said:

Holy Crap !! Man, you got robbed !!! Give me your address, I'll send you a certified check(unless of course you accept PayPal) & you send me the unopened bundle (including the iPod)... I'll get to the bottom of this for you, I'm on the job...;-)...
Kidding, of course... Man, you got a swweeeettt deal... Please post up & express your joy when you get your new PB..

gschumsky

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
San Diego (Jamul), Ca
solvs said:
Unless you're a hardcore gamer or do CAD work, it should suit you fine.QUOTE]

That's not entirely true. I do some gaming and have my Powerbook on a Windoze network here, competing head to head in UT against other guys here, without any slow down or performance issues. As far as CAD stuff, yes, they don't have AutoCAD yet for the Mac (coming soon though from what I hear), I use my PB for CAD and 3D work all the time (Graphisoft makes a great CAD package, as do others for Macs).

Good luck with your new PB, you will truly love it.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
That's a great deal and you will no doubt love your purchase. Just give yourself a few weeks to get adjusted to OS X before passing any final judgments, though. I agree that the PowerBook does gaming just fine. I paid about $2600 for my 15" 1.25 with the single 512 megs RAM, 5400 RPM HD upgrade, and .Mac. It has run every program I've thrown at it without breaking a sweat and I have yet to see how far the capabilities can go with this machine.

ChrisRobinson

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2004
MacDisaster

genesis17five said:

What is all the fuss about??? I bought an Apple Powerbook almost a year ago. I have barely used it since. In summary it's a cheap nasty affair, totally unreliable, failed DVD drive scratched all my discs, power supply failed later on, now the computer is completely dead. After sales service here in Bahrain is non existent, and I keep getting passed for Dubai to Bahrain to get anywhere.

Moreso, even in the unlikely event that I can get the wretched thing to work, WOW is it slow, even moreso when trying to run Virtual PC, it's user unfriendly - every task is a mammoth job like just trying to find application folders files etc. Apple, you're light years behind standard PC technology. A decent mainstream PC knocks spots off anything Apple, and they are so easy to use, versatile and functional. Not Apple, you're stuck with their limited software and painstakingly slow results.

Last of all, you cannot use a Powerbook like a normal laptop PC 'cause after about 10 minutes it will set your lap on fire!

IN CONCLUSION - A COSTLY MISTAKE - APPLEMACS ARE GROSSLY OVER VALUED - THEY ARE CRAP - I DO NOT RECOMMEND CHANGING FROM A PC TO A MAC UNLESS YOU WANT TO FACE A DISASTER

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
we need to pen a "Can O Whoopass" on this PC Troll

Honestly, who comes to a Mac Forum and says this? Especially to someone who just bought their computer. What an A$$.
Andreas

ChrisRobinson said:
What is all the fuss about??? I bought an Apple Powerbook almost a year ago. I have barely used it since. In summary it's a cheap nasty affair, totally unreliable, failed DVD drive scratched all my discs, power supply failed later on, now the computer is completely dead. After sales service here in Bahrain is non existent, and I keep getting passed for Dubai to Bahrain to get anywhere.

Moreso, even in the unlikely event that I can get the wretched thing to work, WOW is it slow, even moreso when trying to run Virtual PC, it's user unfriendly - every task is a mammoth job like just trying to find application folders files etc. Apple, you're light years behind standard PC technology. A decent mainstream PC knocks spots off anything Apple, and they are so easy to use, versatile and functional. Not Apple, you're stuck with their limited software and painstakingly slow results.

Last of all, you cannot use a Powerbook like a normal laptop PC 'cause after about 10 minutes it will set your lap on fire!

IN CONCLUSION - A COSTLY MISTAKE - APPLEMACS ARE GROSSLY OVER VALUED - THEY ARE CRAP - I DO NOT RECOMMEND CHANGING FROM A PC TO A MAC UNLESS YOU WANT TO FACE A DISASTER

upperblue79

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Little Rock, AR
In the unlikely event the story you are telling is true, if you didn't get applecare you are still within your one year warranty since you bought it "almost a year ago", so don't say it sits there dead, If you really did fork out the money for this machine, you wouldn't just let it sit there dead, you would get it fixed under that warranty. Also I don't know how sensitive you are to heat, but my powerbook doesn't burn me, yeah it gets warm, but what would expect with such a powerful processer, DUH. If you need windows so bad you run virtual PC all the time, either get a PC or double your mac memory, then it would run fine. But honestly what applications are you running that you can't find for your mac? I feel your story is either a flat out lie or just greatly over exaggerated. My 2 cents, anyone else agree?

ChrisRobinson said:

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
ChrisRobinson said:

If I didn't know any better, I'd say u are bitter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.