Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bluisnblklungs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
I was thinking about buying Clamshell iBook because this summer i am going on a road trip across country from PA hopefully to CA but at lest CO. I needed sometime to just type my thoughts out on as i go along i don't need it to be a power house or anything because i have a early 2008 MacBook as my main computer. I wanted something that i could "toss" around and not really have to worry about it braking. Plus i really like the look of the Clamshell.
So i was wondering which one should i go for like which color will give me the most bang for my $$. I want to put OS X on it i know that most will run panther but what about tiger? Whats the biggest HD i can put into it? What type of HD do i need to buy? Max Ram? is there anything else i should know about these? Once again i am just going to be using it to do some light word processing and maybe some light web surfing and email nothing else really.
Well I thank all for your time,
Eric

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Clamshells are too slow year ago. Difficult to upgrade, but for text then might be ok.

I would not get it. I would use the MacBook and use common sense and security precautions. (Perhaps install Undercover). Hide it or get a locking cable if you are outside the room, put it in the trunk (and lock trunk) if you are away from car.

everymac.com has upgrade info if you do decide to get clamshell.

Bluisnblklungs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
I know they they are way out of date but also really cheap which is key :D. I am not really worried about power because i am really only using it to type. They really only need to be able to use some form of office ie neo, Microsoft, open. Also i looked at the website that you told me to but my question is which one of the clamshells would be the best bet there are like 4 or 5 different models.
Thanks
Eric

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Get a 466 MHz FireWire model. The RAM will go to 576 MB. Hard drive is limited to 128 GB, connection is ATA-2. It's also almost 7 lbs (your MacBook is 5), and near 2 inches tall. It will run Tiger, though probably not well. It'd work for a typing machine, but don't expect to get anything else from it. Not to mention that with it's age you'd need to get it a new battery.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
You won't be able to put MSFT Office for Mac 2008 on it, or iWork '09, and I'm pretty sure that the latest version of OpenOffice won't work on it either. I know known of them will install on my white iBook G3 (500MHz). You'll have to get ahold of MSFT Office 2004 (will be slow as hell), iWork '06 (slow but not horribly slow), or an old version of OpenOffice. IMO, you would be better served by the MacBook, or even an iBook G4.

Don

moel

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
I think you guys are possibly being a tadge harsh on the old clamshells!

I agree go for the firewire model, but i don't see it having any problems whatsoever running 10.1 and office 2001

It'll do just fine, ok it'll need a new battery, but otherwise if you can get one for about $200

Bluisnblklungs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Well after everyone's input it seems i might be better maybe buying a net book and putting osx on it i would buy a legit version of leopard of course. I know my best for doing that would be the MSI Wind. I am wondering thought dose the sound and all that work on this? Thanks for the help everyone!
Best to all of you
Eric

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Well after everyone's input it seems i might be better maybe buying a net book and putting osx on it i would buy a legit version of leopard of course. I know my best for doing that would be the MSI Wind. I am wondering thought dose the sound and all that work on this? Thanks for the help everyone!
Best to all of you
Eric
Good choice.

The atom in the netbook will run circles around the iBook G3.

Plus, it's hell of a lot smaller/lighter.

Goodluck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.