Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
SystemUIServer (Hung)

This is what I get when I look at the activity monitor. Why might you ask? Because my MenuExtras are freezing. I am using only Apple Menu Extras, BT, Modem, Displays, Airport, Battery, time, and keychain. Could someone shed light on this?

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
usually it happens if any of your menu xtra uses active internet connection..like the weather forecasts or something..and your network gets blocked..but I dont see any in your list..i hv time,battery,volume,airport, bluetooth and salling clicker..never had a problem..sorry not to be of any real help..

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
hmmm... I may have pinpointed it to the BT menu extra... It is the only one that has had problems in the past (ie randomly loosing bt connection to my keyboard). But here's another odd problem, when dealing with a restart/wakeup my 2nd monitor (to the left) flashes the menu bar icons on the bottom right as they load. don't think it did that when it was on the right. I dunno how that happens though.

skydiver

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Same problem for two weeks!

7on said:
SystemUIServer (Hung)

This is what I get when I look at the activity monitor. Why might you ask? Because my MenuExtras are freezing. I am using only Apple Menu Extras, BT, Modem, Displays, Airport, Battery, time, and keychain. Could someone shed light on this?

I have had the same problem for two weeks, and it is driving me insane. My problems seemed to have begun after I applied several updates identified by my software update preference. These were Airport 3.3. Bluetooth 1.5, iSync 1.4, and the 02-23-2004 security update. Even though I installed these one at a time, repairing permissions between installs, I have learned a lesson to only apply one update a day, to more easily identify culprits to problems.
I have no third party icons in my right side menu bar. I have tried multiple troubleshooting fixes over the past two weeks, including downgrading to Airport 3.2. I have trashed preference files, emptied caches, run DiskWarrior multiple times, repaired permissions, reinstalled the above updates from individual installers I downloaded from Apple, you name it, and I've probably tried it. I have avoided wiping my disk and reinstalling the OS and everything from scratch, but that may have to be my final resort.
At this point, I slightly suspect Bluetooth, but the problem recurs even with Bluetooth off, or even if I remove it from the menu bar. I highly suspect the security update, and know no way to downgrade or remove it. I installed 10.3.3 yesterday, hoping for the best, but it did not solve the issue.
I have searched the Apple discussion boards, MacFixit, this site, and any other Mac discussion board I could think of, all to no avail. Maybe it is a hardware issue? I even reset my PMU switch.
The problem occurs at random, which makes it more difficult to troubleshoot. I may only go an hour, or a day before my SystemUIServer hangs. Besides seeing this in the Activity Monitor, I will know it is hung when I move my curser to the right side menu bar and get the spinning beach ball. Soon after, the finder will eventually crash, and I will have to do a hard shutdown. I do seem to notice that I can make the problem occur more easily by using fast user switching, although this is not necessary to have an eventual hang.

HELP!!!

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
My opinion is that when something goes screwy with the hardware (my case BT) that is controled via menubar, SysteUIServer crashes. You might try removing all your menu extras but one to see which is affected. The main ones I look at would be the Airport, battery, time, modem menu extras. Maybe the display one as well, but if you have a 2nd monitor, you'd prolly notice if it went bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.