Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
I currently have a 2.2Ghz white macbook 120gb hard drive, warranty ends March.
Or I have the option to upgrade/downgrade to a macbook air, 1 year warranty, 80gb hard drive, 1.6Ghz.

Do you think I should go for the Air or stick with the macbook?
I'm thinking about going for the Air as its got a years warranty and it wont cost much to upgrade.

What are your thoughts :confused:

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Air is a massive downgrade, not to mention all the problems that the early models had.

Avoid it.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The Air is not a downgrade by any means; it's like comparing a steak knife to a pizza cutter; they are not the same.

It's really based on need (and how much money you can spend).

If you never use the optical drives, you networks are all wireless and you just need a portable machine, then the Air is an excellent choice.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
The Air is less powerful so I'd recommend sticking with the MacBook. Check out eBay, AppleCare costs roughly $100-$150 for the MacBook.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
I'd stick with the MacBook. Unless you really need the air's level of portability, I'd consider the Air a downgrade.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
If you need an underpowered laptop that can fit in this....
manila-envelope.png

then sure get it. A MBA was never meant to be a primary computer. Just spend the $125-150 and buy extended AppleCare for your current MB.

frogcat

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
I disagree, I think you should get the Air, depending of course on what you need the computer for.

I hated dealing with the cracking issues on the white macbooks. And with regards to the air being underpowered, that's a myth. My girlfriend's air doesn't core-shutdown, nor does it have any of the other issues from earlier. Plus you get a years worth of apple care on that machine, and that's always a plus.

I personally have a 2.0 AlumBook and I think the Air would be sufficient for my needs. I study at a university, so i surf the web, use office apps, watch hd movies, itunes, and even VMware to code (Visual Basic, SQL). I've used these successfully on the 1.6 air.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I currently have a 2.2Ghz white macbook 120gb hard drive, warranty ends March.
Or I have the option to upgrade/downgrade to a macbook air, 1 year warranty, 80gb hard drive, 1.6Ghz.

Do you think I should go for the Air or stick with the macbook?
I'm thinking about going for the Air as its got a years warranty and it wont cost much to upgrade.

What are your thoughts :confused:

I'd stick it out with your current computer. Faster/more powerful CPU, more HDD space, better expandability, and a self-serviceable battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.