PDA

View Full Version : White Macbook 2.2Ghz or Macbook Air 1.6Ghz ??

myuserid08
Jan 28, 2009, 11:56 AM
I currently have a 2.2Ghz white macbook 120gb hard drive, warranty ends March.
Or I have the option to upgrade/downgrade to a macbook air, 1 year warranty, 80gb hard drive, 1.6Ghz.

Do you think I should go for the Air or stick with the macbook?
I'm thinking about going for the Air as its got a years warranty and it wont cost much to upgrade.

What are your thoughts :confused:

neiltc13
Jan 28, 2009, 01:15 PM
Air is a massive downgrade, not to mention all the problems that the early models had.

Avoid it.

alphaod
Jan 28, 2009, 02:52 PM
The Air is not a downgrade by any means; it's like comparing a steak knife to a pizza cutter; they are not the same.

It's really based on need (and how much money you can spend).

If you never use the optical drives, you networks are all wireless and you just need a portable machine, then the Air is an excellent choice.

Vulcan
Jan 28, 2009, 02:54 PM
The Air is less powerful so I'd recommend sticking with the MacBook. Check out eBay, AppleCare costs roughly $100-$150 for the MacBook.

dopey220
Jan 28, 2009, 02:56 PM
I'd stick with the MacBook. Unless you really need the air's level of portability, I'd consider the Air a downgrade.

OrangeSVTguy
Jan 28, 2009, 04:57 PM
If you need an underpowered laptop that can fit in this....
http://www.uzbmaster.com/shingil/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/manila-envelope.png

then sure get it. A MBA was never meant to be a primary computer. Just spend the $125-150 and buy extended AppleCare for your current MB.

99MustangGTman
Jan 28, 2009, 05:06 PM
Stick with your current

frogcat
Jan 28, 2009, 05:20 PM
I disagree, I think you should get the Air, depending of course on what you need the computer for.

I hated dealing with the cracking issues on the white macbooks. And with regards to the air being underpowered, that's a myth. My girlfriend's air doesn't core-shutdown, nor does it have any of the other issues from earlier. Plus you get a years worth of apple care on that machine, and that's always a plus.

I personally have a 2.0 AlumBook and I think the Air would be sufficient for my needs. I study at a university, so i surf the web, use office apps, watch hd movies, itunes, and even VMware to code (Visual Basic, SQL). I've used these successfully on the 1.6 air.

Eric S.
Jan 28, 2009, 05:37 PM
Unless you can think of a good reason to trade down in disk capacity and CPU speed, plus lose the optical drive, one USB port, ethernet and firewire, I'd stay with what you've got.

NewMacbookPlz
Jan 28, 2009, 11:05 PM
I currently have a 2.2Ghz white macbook 120gb hard drive, warranty ends March.
Or I have the option to upgrade/downgrade to a macbook air, 1 year warranty, 80gb hard drive, 1.6Ghz.

Do you think I should go for the Air or stick with the macbook?
I'm thinking about going for the Air as its got a years warranty and it wont cost much to upgrade.

What are your thoughts :confused:

I'd stick it out with your current computer. Faster/more powerful CPU, more HDD space, better expandability, and a self-serviceable battery.