PDA

View Full Version : I hate covers!

Mac-Xpert
Mar 15, 2004, 04:40 AM
Just like some people on this board (edesignuk to name one) I really hate covers. I think 99.9% of all covers are crap, that can't even get close to the original versions. Some artist, seem to even base there whole repertoire on covers (Like Joe Cocker, who should really rename himself in Joe Cover :p )

My question is, are there actually people that like covers?
Which cover do you think is better than the original version?
And what's the worst cover you've ever heard?

These are some I really hate myself:
"It's my life" that No doubt did from the Talk Talk original.
"behind blue eyes" that Limp bizkit did from the Who original. (particularly bad: the missing middle section and the added lyrics)

WinterMute
Mar 15, 2004, 08:07 AM
Generally, yes I find them pointless and annoying, and they are used to give a new artist a quick backdoor into the public conciousness, but there are some that are worth the time, Cocker's version of "With a little help from my friends" is better than the original IMO, and I thought Kate Bush's "Rocket Man" was excellent, although her take on "The man I love" was less succesful.

I think an artist who is genuinly trying something new with a song is OK, and can be very good indeed, but those who cover to disguise lack of songwriting ability should be shot at dawn ;) :D

JPGR_Fan
Mar 15, 2004, 08:14 AM
NIN Hurt is excellent, however, I would have never discovered it without Johnny Cash doing it. The Man in Black changed the feel of it enough to make is his own. I like them both.

On the other hand, despite Steve Jobs playing it at his latest Keynote, Johnny did not improve In My Life. In fact, IMHO, no one has improved a Beatle song with a cover, including individually, whether it be John, Paul, George or Ringo.

Mac-Xpert
Mar 15, 2004, 09:23 AM
I agree with JPGR_Fan that no one has ever improved on a Beatles track. Joe cocker's version of "With a little help of my friends" I find acceptable but not better than the original. Most people seem to have forgotten that this track is originally by the Beatles, because whenever some else covers this track they seem to imitate the Cocker version and not the Beatles one. But maybe they just like that vesion more :rolleyes:

stcanard
Mar 15, 2004, 10:28 AM
To do a blanket "I don't like covers" is too wide ranging. 99% of the pop bands trying to cover rock classics are awful because they have no talent or imagination. But, there are plenty of examples of great covers:

Anything by The Blues Brothers

Eric Clapton, From The Cradle -- most of it was covers

Luther Wright and the Wrongs, Rebuilding the Wall -- I'm not even a country fan, but redoing the entire Wall album as country / bluegrass is just such a brilliant concept that I love it anyway

As for individual songs:

Sloan does an excellent cover of "In the Mood" by Rush
Led Zepplin doing Traveling Riverside Blues by Robert Johnson
Primus doing The Devil Went to Georgia
Great Big Sea doing Run Runaway by Slade
The Headstones doing Tweeter and the Monkeyman by The Travelling Wilburies

That's off the top of my head. There are easily as many good covers as there are bad ones.

Mac-Xpert
Mar 15, 2004, 11:36 AM
To do a blanket "I don't like covers" is too wide ranging. 99% of the pop bands trying to cover rock classics are awful because they have no talent or imagination. But, there are plenty of examples of great covers:

Well, I did mean it more like the way you hear covers on the radio these day's from groups like: The sugar babes, Atomic Kitten, No doubt and that kind of stuff. But I wanted to keep the argument simple by saying "I hate covers" without further specifying.

I still canít say that most covers are anywhere near the original versions, particularly those recent ďpopĒ ones. Whatís maybe even worse is that some of the original artists actually contribute to those poor covers themselves. Like Elton John that ruins his own song ďSorry seems to be the hardest wordĒ by turning it into modern pop-crap in his collaboration with Blue. The same goes for Sting ruining his own ďShape of my heartĒ with this Craig David dude.

Of course I understand these people like to make easy money to, but really is it to much to ask for a bit more originality.

Although I don't no most of the tracks you're talking about, Am I to understand that this "Luther Wright and the Wrongs, Rebuilding the Wall" is a cover from Pink Floyds The wall album, but than in a country style?
That really sounds terrible to me :(

azdude
Mar 15, 2004, 12:12 PM
I love Sarah McLaughlin's version of Blackbird. :D

stcanard
Mar 15, 2004, 12:28 PM
... The sugar babes, Atomic Kitten ... Blue. ... Craig David

Well, here's my first problem with participating in this thread ... of all those names the only one I've even heard of is Atomic Kitten, and I was kind of hoping they had disappeared along with the Spice Girls :eek:. I've completely given up on radio in my city, because all I can get is either pop or classic rock (I'm not sure which is worse), and discover new music either through iTunes sharing or net radio.

Although I don't no most of the tracks you're talking about, Am I to understand that this "Luther Wright and the Wrongs, Rebuilding the Wall" is a cover from Pink Floyds The wall album, but than in a country style?
That really sounds terrible to me :(

You really have to hear it to believe it. Consider it more bluegrass than country though. Lots of steel guitars. To some extent you have to consider it a novelty cover (of the entire album) -- which is probably a large part of the difference between it and a lot of what you've mentioned -- Luther Wright understands that he's destroying the song, has fun doing it, and thus ends up turning it into a redeemable version.

P.S. Looking back at it, I realize 1/2 the covers I mentioned are Canadian bands, which is probably why you haven't heard of them.

edesignuk
Mar 15, 2004, 01:10 PM
Just like some people on this board (edesignuk to name one) I really hate covers.
I don't hate all covers...most of them, yes, all of them, no. :D

dukemeiser
Mar 15, 2004, 06:35 PM
I dislike covers, except for Johnny Cash doing Hurt. That is good stuff.

scem0
Mar 15, 2004, 07:17 PM
Covers are fine, but punk covers are HORRIBLE.

And there is a punk cover of everything. Get on Kazaa, or any P2P proggy, and search for punk cover. You will have Celine Dion covers, Jay-Z covers, marry poppins song covers, and hundreds of other random annoying songs.

bah. punk = annoying.

scem0

Mudbug
Mar 15, 2004, 10:07 PM
Overall, generally speaking, I don't like covers. But there are, as others have said, exceptions to the rule.

My biggest problem is with bands that have a cover as their debut single. IMHO, that's the record company's way of saying "these guys aren't talented - here's something you've heard before but can't quite place to throw you off and cover for their talent inadequacies."

And what I particularly don't understand are covers of songs that suck. What's with that, really? If they weren't good the first time around, what makes someone think their rehashed crappy cover of it will do better?

<edit> for those mentioning Johnny Cash's 'hurt' cover, don't forget his cover of Soundgarden's 'rusty cage' - and excellent remake as well. </edit>

Flowbee
Mar 15, 2004, 10:32 PM
My favorite cover is Devo's version of the Stones' "Satisfaction (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=191262&selectedItemId=191237)."

Tool also does a really nice version of Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter."

Nanda Devi
Mar 15, 2004, 10:32 PM
I think an artist who is genuinly trying something new with a song is OK, and can be very good indeed, but those who cover to disguise lack of songwriting ability should be shot at dawn ;) :D

Good point, this is my take on covers exactly... it's that new spin on a song that can (I repeat, CAN, but by no means always does) make a cover a worthwhile thing. It's the same thing with films: 99 percent of films that are re-makes are garbage, but when a director re-makes a film and puts an entirely new spin on it and essentially re-creates it, that can be an artform in itself.

It usually works when the original film was rather lackluster or sort of forgettable. A good example: Cape Fear. The remake is a good film (not the best ever, but in my opinion it does beat the original film, which was really nothing special). When a director tries to remake a classic... now that is the worst sin in cinema. Prime example: Van Sant's re-make of Psycho. Absoltely pointless because it is simply impossible to improve on Hitchcock's film.

Ooops, straying away from music and onto film.... sorry.

Another good argument for music covers is the fact that most blues songs are done over and over again in new styles... not just by rock musicians (like Zeppelin or Hendrix) but by the original blues musicians themselves...

ND

Duff-Man
Mar 15, 2004, 10:35 PM
Duff-man says....I like a cover if it adds something to the original, whether that be a different interpretation sonically, or sometimes just a bit of humour. I don't generally like it when an artist fills up half an album or more with pointless takes that add nothing to the original, but it can be a nice break as an extra on a single, or as part of a live show. A few that I really like would be:
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Johnny Cash - The Mercy Seat (Nick Cave song)
John Cale - Heartbreak Hotel
This Mortal Coil - Song To the Siren
Fairport Convention - Percy's Song (Bob Dylan)
The Stranglers - Walk On By
Charlotte Martin - Just Like Heaven (the Cure)
...that is just to name a few worth a listen....oh yeah!

Nanda Devi
Mar 15, 2004, 10:36 PM
My favorite cover is Devo's version of the Stones' "Satisfaction (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=191262&selectedItemId=191237)."

GREAT call on Devo's Satisfaction... talk about a new spin. Perfect example of the rambling post I just put out there. That is a slick song. :cool:

AND you have Eraserhead as your avatar... could my respect for you be any more profound? :)

ND

jbembe
Mar 16, 2004, 12:15 AM

Sorry, this is the best cover of Satisfaction:
"Satisfaction (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=782049&selectedItemId=782020)"

Speaking of the Stones, their first single was an extraordinary cover of Chuck Berry's "Come On (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=514486&selectedItemId=514374)"
Of course, it isn't available on iTMS.

I second the bit about Clapton. Is "Crossroads (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=123888&selectedItemId=123842)" not the best Rock and Roll song ever created? Yep, you guessed it, it's a cover.

jbembe
Mar 16, 2004, 12:18 AM
I love Sarah McLaughlin's version of Blackbird. :D

I like Grandaddy's version of Revolution (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=3905777&selectedItemId=3905773) better!!

WORST COVER IN THE WORLD:

Puff Daddy covering Sting's Every Move You Make

Flowbee
Mar 16, 2004, 12:38 AM
And how could I forget D'Yer Mak'er (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=348613&selectedItemId=348595) by Eek-A-Mouse!

(Which Otis Redding has *not* covered... so don't go there, girlfriend.)

jbembe
Mar 16, 2004, 12:43 AM
I like Grandaddy's version of Revolution (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=3905777&selectedItemId=3905773) better!!

Speaking of Johnny Cash, he covered Beck's Rowboat,

and Beck covered "I Walk the Line" by incorporating elements of the song into the bizarre (but totally cool) "Halo Of Gold." Beck redid his own song with "Burro" which is also excellent, and if you read the song credits he samples a crapload of different stuff (especially Odelay).

I think covers are great, its always an excellent way of finding great musical talent that an artist you like really respects (or a cash cow for commercialized money-grubbers who aren't really artists anyway so why are you listening to them in the first place??)

it's late.... i was trying to edit, not quote myself. l8er

Mac-Xpert
Mar 16, 2004, 04:15 AM
I don't hate all covers...most of them, yes, all of them, no. :DWell I don't really hate all covers either. I left 0.1 % margin just in case :p

Allright, one cover I do like: "She's is not there" from Santana, originally from the animals. Santana's added guitar solo to the original does rock!.

Mac-Xpert
Mar 16, 2004, 04:25 AM

I'm with you on that one!

BTW what's up with this Johnny Cash, he seems awfully popular on this thread. Being a European I don't no his stuff (doesn't get played on the radio over here.) Although with all these covers he seems to have done, it sounds like he's some sort of American Joe Cocker :rolleyes: :p

Mac-Xpert
Mar 16, 2004, 04:45 AM
I second the bit about Clapton. Is "Crossroads (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=123888&selectedItemId=123842)" not the best Rock and Roll song ever created? Yep, you guessed it, it's a cover. Just listened to it, but it sound more like Blues rather than Rock and Roll to me!

The best rock song (without the "Roll" I guess ;) ) I think is: Steppenwolfs, Born to be Wild. It has all the right ingredients for a great rock-track. Good guitars, :cool: lyrics, excellent playing.. etc.
It ain't a cover however.

lavar78
Mar 16, 2004, 05:22 AM
There are quite a few covers that are better than the original. Aretha Franklin's version of "Respect" immediately springs to mind. Cyndi Lauper's version of "All Through The Night" is definitive. It was a pretty common occurrence in the glory days of Motown (think Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" and the Jackson 5's "Who's Lovin' You" for starters). Speaking of the incomparable Marvin Gaye, his "Yesterday" is every bit as good as the original IMO. It's a phenomenal reinterpretation. BTW, I also think Cocker's "With A Little Help From My Friends" is better than the original. Not one of my favorite Beatles songs...

Puff Daddy's "I'll Be Missing You" is not a cover of The Police's "Every Breath You Take." It is a new song that samples the original (quite liberally).

Mac-Xpert
Mar 16, 2004, 06:01 AM
Puff Daddy's "I'll Be Missing You" is not a cover of The Police's "Every Breath You Take." It is a new song that samples the original (quite liberally).Technically speaking your right. But I think sampling (I prefer to call it stealing) is even worse! Maybe I should start a new thread about that: I hate sampled crap :D

jbembe
Mar 16, 2004, 08:19 AM
I'm with you on that one!

BTW what's up with this Johnny Cash, he seems awfully popular on this thread. Being a European I don't no his stuff (doesn't get played on the radio over here.) Although with all these covers he seems to have done, it sounds like he's some sort of American Joe Cocker :rolleyes: :p

Well, Cash isn't played much over here either, he's the icon of cool music that isn't mainstream. Of course, he's a music legend and every music artist and their dog respects him (see JohnnyCash.com (http://www.johnnycash.com/Cashreview.htm) for folks who respect him... everybody from Willie Nelson to Slipknot). You should do yourself a favor and purchase some of his american albums (at least). Or just listen to Mudbug and check out Rusty Cage (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=3485564&selectedItemId=3485540) (I think American II is the best place to start for intros to Cash since Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are the "backup" band on this album and spunk it up a bit). Careful, Cash is an expensive habit, you'll find yourself rapidly acquiring every album you can get your hands on. The new box set is extraordinary and there's even supposed to be another posthumous release since he had recorded enough for another album when he left us.

Another vote for bad sampled crap: Ice Ice Baby. Queen is a infinitely better.

Mac-Xpert
Mar 16, 2004, 08:38 AM
You should do yourself a favor and purchase some of his american albums (at least). Or just listen to Mudbug and check out Rusty Cage (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=3485564&selectedItemId=3485540)
Getting to think about it, I actually do know a track by Johnny Cash:
"Ring of fire"- It was used in a commercial a couple of years ago here in Holland. Always did find it a funny sing-along kind of country track. Great fun, although not really my thing.

And what do you guys think of this sampled crap:
MC-Hammer- "U can't touch this" Some people actually thought this guy was cool or something, back in his days. :p

Foxer
Mar 16, 2004, 09:20 AM
Some covers are excellent. Everyone points to Hurt by Cash, but his cover of U2's "One" is fabulous. I like it much more than "Hurt."

Other good covers include: Blur's "Maggie Mae," Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Born to Run," Wedding Present "Come up and See Me (Make Me Smile)", Pet Shop Boys "Always on My Mind," "Go West," and "Where the Streets Have no Name"

Bad covers are probably more frequent. My wife and were trying to come up with the worst "hit" songs of all time, and we both came up with covers. My selection was "True Colors" by Phil Collins. It was an awful song to start, andhe made much, much worse.

stcanard
Mar 16, 2004, 09:31 AM
I dislike covers, except for Johnny Cash doing Hurt. That is good stuff.

While I do like Johnny Cash's version of Hurt, it it really missing the pain that is in the original version, so I find it kind of emotionless.

On the scale of covers, I consider it a mediocre one. As mentioned earlier check out his version of Rusty Cage -- much better IMO.

stcanard
Mar 16, 2004, 09:37 AM
And what do you guys think of this sampled crap:
MC-Hammer- "U can't touch this" Some people actually thought this guy was cool or something, back in his days. :p

Vanilla Ice -- Ice Ice Baby

I was actually in a car once during the blessedly brief period that song was popular when the radio started playing "Under Pressure". My friend who was driving, when it didn't cut into the "rap" lyrics after the first couple of bars asked if they were playing an extended version.

He had never heard of the original...

Mac-Xpert
Mar 16, 2004, 10:25 AM
Vanilla Ice -- Ice Ice Baby

I was actually in a car once during the blessedly brief period that song was popular when the radio started playing "Under Pressure". My friend who was driving, when it didn't cut into the "rap" lyrics after the first couple of bars asked if they were playing an extended version.

He had never heard of the original...
Yeah, jbembe mentioned that one aswell. Thinking about it, sampling is actually alot worse than many covers. Different than with covers, which as many here have pointed out can still be as good or even better than the originals (although I don't agree with many mentioned in this thread), I don't think I can say the same for sampled stuff.

I find sampling a total lack of originality and usually shows that the artist (for the lack of a better word) can't compose music or play any instruments in a decent way.

They think, oh lets use a well known tune, that was a hit before, so it will work again if I sample it and add some modern beats and other (c)rap to it.

Or is there someone here who thinks different about all that? (Iím sure there will be :p)

stcanard
Mar 16, 2004, 10:44 AM
They think, oh lets use a well known tune, that was a hit before, so it will work again if I sample it and add some modern beats and other (c)rap to it.

Or is there someone here who thinks different about all that? (Iím sure there will be :p)

Again, I think it's a power that can be used for good or evil :)

The Beastie Boys often do very well with their sampling, but it's usually so subtle that people don't realize they're sampling, and more often than not is a song that most people don't know in the first place. Ironically they're now being sampled themselves (I remember at least one Prodigy song that did it), so now are we going to end up with second generation samples where people don't realize that the original wasn't?

Moby's Play is another good example, although I'm not sure if I'd consider that album to be sampling, remixes, covers or all of the above.

Oops, for the most part I strayed out of the top-40 pop stars again, I think I'm seeing a pattern here ;)

Contrast that to what's been mentioned already (Vanilla Ice, Puff Daddy, I'll add Janet Jackson after that awful sampling of Joni Mitchell a couple of years ago), which is apparently an attempt to cache in on the popularity of a previous hit, and I agree is one of the worst evils that can be foisted upon music.

g30ffr3y
Mar 16, 2004, 11:31 AM
i dont hate covers... many of them do suck... dont get me wrong... but many are good...

for instance.

sisters of mercy-shelter [rolling stones]
front line assembly-justify my love [madonna]
orgy-blue monday [new order] <-- sorry, but i like it a lot...
pop will eat itself-games without frontiers [peter gabriel]
cradle of filth-hallowed be thy name [iron maiden]
in flames-everything counts [depeche mode]
deftones-to have and to hold [depeche mode]

plenty more... but i will agree that sampling enough of a song that you recognize the song is too much... puff daddys bastardization of sting... jessica simpson did it to john melancamp...

Maritan
Mar 16, 2004, 12:10 PM
I like Turn the page by Metallica (originally by Bob Seger, which is also good).

I like most of the covers by Metallica in Garage Inc.

I did hear that Avril Lavigne covered a Metallica song?! :mad: :eek: What the hell?! I don't even have to listen to that ***** to know that I'll hate it.

stcanard
Mar 16, 2004, 12:54 PM
I did hear that Avril Lavigne covered a Metallica song?! :mad: :eek: What the hell?! I don't even have to listen to that ***** to know that I'll hate it.

<potential flamebait>Honestly, with Metallica's sound these days Atomic Kitten could cover them and put a harder edge on it.</pf>

Sorry, I'm a disaffected Metallica fan who stopped liking them after Justice (I liked that, pretty much nothing since, except their cover of Stone Cold Crazy). And Garage Inc doesn't count as recent for me, because it's just a re-issue of two old ep's plus a couple of bad covers :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, back on topic...

Metallica doing Stone Cold Crazy from Queen.

_Almost_ as good as the original.

lavar78
Mar 16, 2004, 02:57 PM
Again, I think it's a power that can be used for good or evil :)

Agreed. Sampling in and of itself isn't bad at all. It certainly isn't stealing. Furthermore, I'd argue that sampling is inherently more creative than simply covering a song. Then again, I also think musical talent extends beyond being able to sing and/or play an instrument, so there you go. :cool:

pepita
Mar 17, 2004, 03:44 AM
Ooh, I like this thread...

"behind blue eyes" that Limp bizkit did from the Who original. (particularly bad: the missing middle section and the added lyrics)

Agh, that one is truly terrible. Why did he have to change the lyrics at all? That took it from bad to criminal.

And the video... When I saw it I didn't know there was a movie attached to it so it made absolutely no sense - not that it does now but you know...! I thought it was the lamest excuse ever for getting to snog Halle Berry. I thought, how could she sink so low, you get an Oscar and then you end up in a Limp Bizkit video? Eww... :D

Absolutely - even more annoying than Limp Bizkit butchering The Who.

I'd also like to nominate the cover of "Strawberry Fields Forever" by that 80's boyband with twins (I think?) whose name I forgot. Truly awful.

- OTOH, an amazing cover of the same song was done by the Nashville Superpickers. Banjos meet the Beatles! It wasn't bad at all really, and very amusing.

Speaking of boybands, a decent cover of the Bee Gee's "How Deep Is Your Love" was done by Take That. They sang it in a lower key, or at least, did away with the highest falsettos, it sounded like an improvement actually.

Then there is Madonna's American Pie... it wasn't that terrible, but there was something really wrong with it...

I recently heard an atrocious cover of the Velvet Underground's "Sunday Morning" on ITMS, while I was searching for the track, there's this version done by someone singing it in a crooner style, I can't find it anymore now, but it was so bad it made you cringe.

Others off the top of my head... Sinatra's "My Way" by Sid Vicious. That deserves a special category, worst and best at the same time! The result was impressive.

Some Velvet Morning by Primal Scream and Kate Moss - was originally by Nancy Sinatra, I think. Not earth shattering, but it's nice.

There's also covers I do seriously like a lot. I'll be obvious but some of my favourites there are those done by Nirvana on the Unplugged. Especially the Bowie one, and the three Meat Puppet songs, Plateau, Lake of Fire and Oh Me, those are the tracks I like most from that album actually.

My favourite cover of all time has to be The Byrds doing Dylan's Mr Tambourine Man. I didn't even know it was a Dylan song at first.

I used to like Jeff Buckley doing Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, then I just got sick of it :p

The best rock song (without the "Roll" I guess ) I think is: Steppenwolfs, Born to be Wild. It has all the right ingredients for a great rock-track. Good guitars, lyrics, excellent playing.. etc.
It ain't a cover however.

But it has been covered lots! I love that song too. The original. You're so right about it. It is like *the* definition of a classic rock anthem. :)

I don't always mind sampling or even remixes or dance versions when they're done right. Which is not that often... That Elvis song that was everywhere a couple of years ago, during the world cup - Elvis vs. XL something, A Little Less Conversation. That was brilliant. Really liked that one.

pepita
Mar 17, 2004, 04:07 AM
Just thought of another cover for the hate list: Sixpence None the Richer - doing the La's "There She Goes". It got so much radio airplay it made it even more annoying.

Savage Henry
Mar 17, 2004, 04:19 AM
The only thing I enjoy about covers is when you like the music without knowing it's a cover; you then find out the original version is much better than the version you heard previously.

I know some people have already stated remarks contrary to this, as a matter of my own opinion I have never heard a cover that's been better than the original.

lavar78
Mar 17, 2004, 05:57 AM
I know some people have already stated remarks contrary to this, as a matter of my own opinion I have never heard a cover that's been better than the original.
Really? Listen to this:
Respect (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=720309&selectedItemId=720288) by Otis Redding (the original)
I'm sure everyone's familiar with it, but
Respect (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=705739&selectedItemId=705587) by Aretha Franklin (the cover)

Nothing against Otis, but come on! :rolleyes: Aretha took an OK song and made it great.

Then there is Madonna's American Pie... it wasn't that terrible, but there was something really wrong with it...
No, it really was that terrible -- one of the all-time worst IMO.

Savage Henry
Mar 17, 2004, 07:16 AM
Really? Listen to this:
Respect (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=720309&selectedItemId=720288) by Otis Redding (the original)
Respect (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=705739&selectedItemId=705587) by Aretha Franklin (the cover)

Nothing against Otis, but come on! :rolleyes: Aretha took an OK song and made it great.

I've been thinking long and hard about Otis v. Aretha, and I think you may be right, and if my faded memory serves me correctly, I believe Mr Redding said it was so himself during his set at Montreaux as well.

Laver78, I fully retract the assertion of "all covers are crap" and join the group of people who say "99% of covers are crap".

My contribution of appalling Madonna Covers: Fever

My Nomination of Worst Album of Covers: Tom Jones, Reloaded

Maritan
Mar 17, 2004, 09:08 AM
<potential flamebait>Honestly, with Metallica's sound these days Atomic Kitten could cover them and put a harder edge on it.</pf>

While I've never heard of Atomic Kitten, I can see what you're saying. And I agree with you. After Justice, they went mainstream. For the band, that was it took for them to become "popular." They went from a cult following to nation/world-wide recognition. I can see why Metallica did that.

But I agree with you, I don't really like much of their music after Justice. And St. Anger? What a craptacular release. I recently went to their concert here in Phoenix, and thankfully they played only 2 songs from St. Anger.

Back on topic - (will I get flamed for this?)

Blinded by the light - Manfred Mann (original by Bruce Springsteen)

I feel Manfred Mann's version is MUCH better than Bruce's.

jbembe
Mar 17, 2004, 10:00 AM
Really? Listen to this:

oooh, I like this game: try this one... (Very hard call IMO)

All Along The Watchtower (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=569918&selectedItemId=768751) by Bob Dylan (the original)

All Along The Watchtower (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=310450&selectedItemId=310444) by Jimi Hendrix (the cover)

This may be rare, but I think both are essential interpretations

g30ffr3y
Mar 17, 2004, 10:06 AM

All Along The Watchtower (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=569918&selectedItemId=768751) by Bob Dylan (the original)

All Along The Watchtower (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=310450&selectedItemId=310444) by Jimi Hendrix (the cover)

dave mathews band also did "all along the watchtower" i quite liked this version though overall i dont like the DMB at all...

Mac-Xpert
Mar 17, 2004, 11:18 AM
It's funny to see so many people responding, and how different opinions can be :)

Iíve of course never said that all covers are crap but I think alot of them are. About the sampled stuff: Nobody has convinced me yet that this can be any good, and no I don't like the Beastie boys either :p

I do thinks I'm seeing a bit of a trend in the "good covers". It seems to me that the majority of covers that most here consider to be good are from well known artists from the past.

I think that it's also save to say that some types of music lend themselves better for covering than others, like Blues and Jazz music.

In the Jazz world they don't even call it covers, but refer to it as "standards" But with all the improvisation the basic tunes are less important in a way a guess.

Kingsnapped
Mar 17, 2004, 11:24 AM
I don't know how to do an iTunes link, but they're on there...

There's a guy named Richard Cheese (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=3735568) who does covers of pretty much everything.... lounge style! It's how I learned the words to Baby got Back and Holiday in Cambodia (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=3572572&selectedItemId=3572482). I don't know if he was mentioned in this thread, but he rocks.. check it out.

Mac-Xpert
Mar 17, 2004, 11:35 AM
But it has been covered lots! I love that song too. The original. You're so right about it. It is like *the* definition of a classic rock anthem. :)

I just typed "Born to be wild" in the iTunes store. If you want to have a good laugh you should listen to some of the covers. Men this is exactly what I meant in the first place saying I hate covers.

Listen to these ones for a laugh (or maybe a cry :p )
Born to be wild - Stars of stage and screen (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=4463287&selectedItemId=4463277)
Born to be wild - Slayer (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=414432&selectedItemId=414423)
Born to be wild - Raven & Udo (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=3222378&selectedItemId=3222272)
Born to be wild - Evelyn Glennie (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=295145&selectedItemId=294953)

There are even more, and there all total crap!! :p

EDIT:figured the link thing out.

stcanard
Mar 17, 2004, 12:17 PM
After Justice, they went mainstream. For the band, that was it took for them to become "popular." They went from a cult following to nation/world-wide recognition. I can see why Metallica did that.

Yeah, I'm just bitter because both they and the Red Hot Chili Peppers decided to court wider audiences around the same time, and I lost two of my favourite bands :-( Although don't get me started about how a band that built their following on grassroots word of mouth now wants to cut other bands off from the same opportunity (their stand on p2p)

Back on topic - (will I get flamed for this?)

Blinded by the light - Manfred Mann (original by Bruce Springsteen)

I feel Manfred Mann's version is MUCH better than Bruce's.

Absolutely, without a doubt, 100% correct. I had forgotten about that one.

Here's another one that is much better than the original:

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Peter, Paul & Mary do a much better version than John Denver.

lavar78
Mar 17, 2004, 12:51 PM
About the sampled stuff: Nobody has convinced me yet that this can be any good, and no I don't like the Beastie boys either :p

I don't think anyone's trying to convince you. My guess is you don't like hip hop in general, so it's useless to try to convince you that sampling has merits. I could be wrong. At any rate, here are a few good examples of sampling [too lazy to link]: "Stan" by Eminem, "Tom's Diner" by DNA, "Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve, and "All You Need Is Love" by The Beatles. The first two basically resurrected the careers of Dido and Suzanne Vega.

pepita
Mar 17, 2004, 05:41 PM
At any rate, here are a few good examples of sampling [too lazy to link]: "Stan" by Eminem... "Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve..

Ah yes but the latter was not sampling, it was plagiarism. Well, at least according to the Stones' lawyers.

Of the fine balance between sampling and stealing ;)

I don't like Eminem or Dido much but objectively he pulled off a nice job there, that's a good example.

"All You Need Is Love" by The Beatles.

Really? It samples? what?

I just typed "Born to be wild" in the iTunes store. If you want to have a good laugh you should listen to some of the covers. Men this is exactly what I meant in the first place saying I hate covers.

:eek: :D

The first one is so incredibly crap, so slowed down it sounds like a 45 played at 33...

Oh man. Slayer I couldn't even bear to listen to the full 30 secs. The funniest is Raven & Udo (??)... The last one, what can I say. I guess only Yoko Ono on crack could have made it worse.

Hilarious. Thanks for the links, Mac-Xpert. I'm gonna bookmark them, who knows, I might need to torture someone someday :D

If that's the kind of sucking level you were thinking of when you said covers suck, you're 100% right.

I wonder, is it possible for an artist to prevent someone from covering them? Or do the record companies hold the privilege to give that covering right to anyone (and get paid for it, I'd imagine)?

How does it work, financially speaking? anyone know?

lavar78
Mar 17, 2004, 07:17 PM
Ah yes but the latter was not sampling, it was plagiarism. Well, at least according to the Stones' lawyers.

Of the fine balance between sampling and stealing ;)
I guess the definition of sampling isn't exactly concrete, but I'd say it's the use of a part of one song in another (new) song. Stealing doesn't fit; plagiarism is a little better. Unauthorized use is probably the best term. Of course, most samples these days are authorized.

As far as "All You Need Is Love" goes, it begins with an except from the French National Anthem. For more info, check out this article (http://www.newsobserver.com/features/arts/story/3398959p-3021751c.html) about the brouhaha over The Grey Album, which happens to be another good example of creative (though unauthorized) sampling.

amake
Mar 17, 2004, 10:39 PM
I like Cake's cover of "I Will Survive."

I also enjoy The Bad Plus's jazz covers of "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Every Breath You Take," and "Iron Man." Be sure to check them out on the iTMS.

Savage Henry
Mar 18, 2004, 02:21 AM

Dang you. Whether you want to believe it or not this is exactly the one I was going to throw back at you. But I took so long in trying to decide which one was best and came up with the assertion that, like you, they are quite rare in being equally essential. :cool:

But I did take it one step further and decided to lob in the version by U2 on the Rattle and Hum album. Man that was dreadful. :eek:

WinterMute
Mar 18, 2004, 08:02 AM
Best covers album: Tower of Song.

Various big names croon a few Leonard Cohen tunes. There are a few lemons, but Tori Amos' Famous Blue Raincoat and Pete Gabriels Suzanne are worth the price of admission alone....

Witness Sting and the Chieftens murdering Sisters of Mercy...... :D :D :eek:

stcanard
Mar 18, 2004, 09:12 AM

Various big names croon a few Leonard Cohen tunes. There are a few lemons, but Tori Amos' Famous Blue Raincoat and Pete Gabriels Suzanne are worth the price of admission alone...

I'm trying to imagine, but I can't. I find most Leonard Cohen covers go horribly wrong. The new version is never depressing or menacing enough.

jbembe
Mar 18, 2004, 10:03 AM

Various big names croon a few Leonard Cohen tunes. There are a few lemons, but Tori Amos' Famous Blue Raincoat and Pete Gabriels Suzanne are worth the price of admission alone....

My favorite cover album is A Tribute To Mississippi John Hurt. Beck and Taj Mahal do a cover, which got me to purchase it, but a darn near perfect blues song is "Frankie and Albert" by Chris Smither. Unfortunately not on iTMS.

p.s. I guess all along the watchtower was obvious, somebody had to do it!

Mac-Xpert
Mar 18, 2004, 10:24 AM
Hilarious. Thanks for the links, Mac-Xpert. I'm gonna bookmark them, who knows, I might need to torture someone someday :D

Excellent!! But only use it when you want to really, really hurt someone, this stuff is extreme! :D :p

If that's the kind of sucking level you were thinking of when you said covers suck, you're 100% right.
Yeah, this along with the modern pop crap was what I was thinking of originally.

I wonder, is it possible for an artist to prevent someone from covering them? Or do the record companies hold the privilege to give that covering right to anyone (and get paid for it, I'd imagine)?

How does it work, financially speaking? anyone know?
I think it depends on the contract the artist has with the record company. As far as I know, most artists don't own all the rights, and the record company can decide if other people may cover or sample the songs. Some artist (like David Bowie) own all the rights or have their own label. The Beatles for instance own the rights of the recordings but not the rights of the songs (Michael Jackson owns them). So this means the songs may be covered by others without the remaining Beatles being able to do anything about it, but nobody can sample from their records without them allowing them to do so. They themselves than decide whether others may or may not use it. Of course some artist choose to co-operate with the covers so they can make some extra bucks and appeal to a new (younger) group of listeners.

Mac-Xpert
Mar 18, 2004, 11:04 AM
I don't think anyone's trying to convince you. My guess is you don't like hip hop in general, so it's useless to try to convince you that sampling has merits. I could be wrong.
Well, your right, hip hop ain't my thing.

agreed. Sampling in and of itself isn't bad at all. It certainly isn't stealing. Furthermore, I'd argue that sampling is inherently more creative than simply covering a song. Then again, I also think musical talent extends beyond being able to sing and/or play an instrument, so there you go.
I totally disagree (but I guess your not surprised about that :p) Anybody can sample, this has nothing to do with "making music" or talent. It's as simple as pressing the record button on your sampler, you don't have to be a music genius for that! Sure you might say they add stuff too, but really what they add they also sample, so again not much talent needed. When it comes to covers it depends. Some of the good covers have good or even better playing (on instruments) on them than on the originals. I like the example someone gave of ďBlinded by the lightĒ the cover from Manfred Mann has excellent playing in it, better than the Bruce Springsteen original.

To me music talent does mean that you have to have the ability to compose and/or play instruments or at least be able to sing, if you canít do the others.
If you canít do any of that, than you donít have any music talent as far as Iím concerned. Oh and BTW record sales has nothing to do with it either :p

pepita
Mar 18, 2004, 11:13 AM
I think it depends on the contract the artist has with the record company. As far as I know, most artists don't own all the rights, and the record company can decide if other people may cover or sample the songs. Some artist (like David Bowie) own all the rights or have their own label.

Which does not explain how he allowed a cover of "Ashes to Ashes" by Samantha Mumba (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=409547&selectedItemId=409533), of all people.

("Who is Samantha Mumba?" exactly... :D)

As far as "All You Need Is Love" goes, it begins with an except from the French National Anthem.

Ha! La Marseillese? Funny that. I'm familiar with the anthem but had never noticed. Interesting.
Thanks for the info. I did read about that "Grey album" project, hmm... I don't know what to think of that.

As for the Stones and the Verve and unauthorised use, you're right, but it was a bit more complicated (I was being ironic when I said "stealing"! they didn't really steal) - use of the sample was indeed authorized, but because the Stones argued it turned out to be more than just a minimal sample use, they sued in order to get FULL copyrights for "Bittersweet Symphony", for the whole song. Which they won. So the Verve had to turn over most of the money for the sales to the Stones... Which was a huge lot. See here (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1425045/19971008/story.jhtml) - interestingly it mentions that George Michael had to turn over some of his royalties on his song "Waiting For That Day" because he quoted the Stones lyric "You Can't Always Get What You Want." Janet Jackson had to give up part of her copyright for "What'll I Do" for using the "Satisfaction" refrain "Hey hey hey, that's what I say."

Mac-Xpert
Mar 18, 2004, 11:27 AM
Which does not explain how he allowed a cover of "Ashes to Ashes" by Samantha Mumba (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=409547&selectedItemId=409533), of all people.
("Who is Samantha Mumba?" exactly... :D)
Maybe he was low on cash, or this Samantha Mumba offered some special favor :eek: :D

pepita
Mar 18, 2004, 11:31 AM
Ooh, just remembered another for the covers-I-really-really-really-like list:

Any Major Dude Will Tell You - Wilco
(origina by Steely Dan, not as good by far! IMO..)

The Wilco cover is not on ITMS because it's at the end of an import version of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, not on the standard album that's on ITMS... too bad.

pepita
Mar 18, 2004, 11:33 AM
Maybe he was low on cash, or this Samantha Mumba offered some special favor :eek: :D

Hmm, I'd say it was the first one. When you're married to an African princess and supermodel, I doubt you have to go looking for that kind of favours from an Irish popstar ;)

Mac-Xpert
Mar 18, 2004, 11:58 AM
Hmm, I'd say it was the first one. When you're married to an African princess and supermodel, I doubt you have to go looking for that kind of favours from an Irish popstar ;)hmm, but everything gets boring after a while. :p

Mac-Xpert
Mar 18, 2004, 12:04 PM
Ooh, just remembered another for the covers-I-really-really-really-like list:

Any Major Dude Will Tell You - Wilco
(origina by Steely Dan, not as good by far! IMO..)

The Wilco cover is not on ITMS because it's at the end of an import version of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, not on the standard album that's on ITMS... too bad.Ouch!! I'm a really big Steely Dan fan. Although I've never heard the version you mentioned (I most have gotten lucky ;)) It simply can't be as good as the original (or at least not for me).

lavar78
Mar 18, 2004, 12:13 PM
I totally disagree (but I guess your not surprised about that :p) Anybody can sample, this has nothing to do with "making music" or talent. It's as simple as pressing the record button on your sampler, you don't have to be a music genius for that! Sure you might say they add stuff too, but really what they add they also sample, so again not much talent needed.
With all due respect, that's just silly. That's quite a gross generalization (and an incorrect one at that). You make it sound like every instance of sampling is as extreme and all-encompassing as Puff Daddy's "I'll Be Missing You." Does "All You Need Is Love" fail to qualify as a creative work/song simply because it incorporates pieces of other works? Well, I guess that's a perfectly valid opinion; it's just a little shocking. :eek:

To me music talent does mean that you have to have the ability to compose and/or play instruments or at least be able to sing, if you canít do the others.
If you canít do any of that, than you donít have any music talent as far as Iím concerned.
What about lyricists? IMO, there's a big difference between writing a poem and writing lyrics to music. The latter requires musical talent AFAIC. What about producers? Mixers/remixes? Once the tracks are down, you don't think it takes any talent or ear for music at all to be able to find the right balance and sound? I'm not saying all of this is the same; I'm just saying it can't be done by just anybody. Furthermore, I think it's innate enough to be considered a talent instead of a skill. Anyway, this is an interesting discussion. :)

Mac-Xpert
Mar 18, 2004, 12:42 PM
With all due respect, that's just silly. That's quite a gross generalization (and an incorrect one at that). You make it sound like every instance of sampling is as extreme and all-encompassing as Puff Daddy's "I'll Be Missing You." Does "All You Need Is Love" fail to qualify as a creative work/song simply because it incorporates pieces of other works? Well, I guess that's a perfectly valid opinion; it's just a little shocking. :eek: Well I was talking about "artists" that base their music on sampling, not about people using non-instrument or recorded sounds in their music. (and using a sampler for this) Your example of the Beatles I don't consider to be really sampling. Since this song starts with the French anthem (which can be played by anybody royalty free!) they didnít really sample a band or artist. And the rest of the song isn't based on it either. And the Beatles sure knew how to play real instruments (and samplers didnít even exist back then :p )

What about lyricists? IMO, there's a big difference between writing a poem and writing lyrics to music. The latter requires musical talent AFAIC. What about producers? Mixers/remixes? Once the tracks are down, you don't think it takes any talent or ear for music at all to be able to find the right balance and sound? I'm not saying all of this is the same; I'm just saying it can't be done by just anybody. Furthermore, I think it's innate enough to be considered a talent instead of a skill. Anyway, this is an interesting discussion. :)
Lyrics? I'm not sure if you need music talent for that, maybe a bit, but maybe not (writing scales are more important for that I think). Producers/mixers/remixers. I do think that this can be called (or could be) a learned skill. You can't learn to compose music from your heart, this requires a special talent that you do or do not have. Producing, mixing etc. can be learned, there schools for that stuff. Sure it helps if you do have some music talent, but i don't think it's really required. Good ears are :p

lavar78
Mar 18, 2004, 01:12 PM
Well I was talking about "artists" that base their music on sampling, not about people using non-instrument or recorded sounds in their music. (and using a sampler for this) Your example of the Beatles I don't consider to be really sampling. Since this song starts with the French anthem (which can be played by anybody royalty free!) they didnít really sample a band or artist. And the rest of the song isn't based on it either. And the Beatles sure knew how to play real instruments (and samplers didnít even exist back then :p )
You might want to check out that link I posted earlier. They "borrowed" more than just the anthem for that song. Anyway, your opinion is certainly clearer. Something like "Stan" would be OK (if you liked rap) while something like "Surfin' USA" wouldn't be. Sampling/borrowing works as a seasoning but not as the main course. Got it.

pepita
Mar 18, 2004, 02:33 PM
Ouch!! I'm a really big Steely Dan fan. Although I've never heard the version you mentioned (I most have gotten lucky ;)) It simply can't be as good as the original (or at least not for me).

Wait, I wasn't slamming Steely Dan! I'm not even that familiar with them, apart from a few things, and the most famous ones of course... I love "Reelin' in the Years" :cool:

It's just that song, I've heard the original, and I just like the Wilco version a lot better. It's a very faithful cover, they didn't abuse it at all, they just made it sound, well, more appealing to me personally.

You'll still like the original better if you're such a big fan of Steely Dan, it's only natural (I heard it *after* the cover, which I've fallen in love with recently and is in my top most played list so, that's probably why I was "biased" in the opposite direction, eh...) - but you should listen to the Wilco version all the same.

I can email the mp3 to you, if you like. :)

thinkofthestars
Mar 18, 2004, 03:27 PM
My question is, are there actually people that like covers?
Which cover do you think is better than the original version?
And what's the worst cover you've ever heard?

Actually, I like a lot of covers. I wouldn't say that I like them more than the original, but I listen to punk and most punk bands have done at LEAST one cover. Probably more. I really like Goldfinger's cover of Just Like Heaven. It's a lot faster pace than the original, which is good for my mood sometimes, but it's not better than the original, just different. I also like Reel Big Fish's cover of Take On Me. There have been some seriously crappy covers of that song, like MXPX's cover, but the Reel Big Fish one is good. Most covers I've hear though aren't better than the original... they're just too different to compare most of the time. One thing I do hate though, is cover bands. Bands that all they do is covers. I mean, come on... do you really have so little talent that you can't even write your own music. Ick.

JPGR_Fan
Mar 18, 2004, 06:46 PM
In the just arrived April, 2004 issue of Spin magazine, the cover story on Kurt Cobain contains the following item:

Five Brilliantly Annoying Covers of "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
Toni Amos (1992)
The Benzedrine Monks of Santo Domonica (1994)
Melvins (2000)
The Bad Plus (2003)
The String Cheese Incident (2003).

Only The Bad Plus and versions of the Nirvana hit are available on iTunes.

pepita
Mar 19, 2004, 01:36 AM
Five Brilliantly Annoying Covers of "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

I did hear the Melvins one. I thought it was great! the vocals were soo different it almost sounded like a parody.

Another funny cover of "About a Girl" is by Cibo Matto. Sort of jazzy-lounge. Weird.

Then there's all those Soulwax remixes blending Nirvana with Destiny's Child and the like... "Smells like Teen Booty". Hilarious.

+ Another one on the plus side for sampling: the Beta Band, "Squares" (http://www.astralwerks.com/betaband/gallery.html), sampling "Daydream" by... have no idea who, but there was a bad timing mess as they were releasing it the same week another band came out of nowhere with another track (http://www.armchair-dj.com/reviews/d/daydream_in_blue.asp) sampling the same "daydream, fell asleep amid the flowers for a couple of hours on a beautiful day"... so the BB had to pull the single. The other track was ok, but I like the BB so no contest for me... Never fully heard the original though.

Mac-Xpert
Mar 19, 2004, 03:49 AM
Wait, I wasn't slamming Steely Dan! I'm not even that familiar with them, apart from a few things, and the most famous ones of course... I love "Reelin' in the Years" :cool:

It's just that song, I've heard the original, and I just like the Wilco version a lot better. It's a very faithful cover, they didn't abuse it at all, they just made it sound, well, more appealing to me personally.

I didn't think you where trying to bash them. It's just that I like their stuff so much that I don't think I could stand to hear any covers from it. You should do yourself a favor and listen to some of their records. If you like the combination of Funk, Rock, Jazz and some Soul, played by some of the best musicians (they always hired the best studio musicians available!) you might enjoy some of their stuff.

You'll still like the original better if you're such a big fan of Steely Dan, it's only natural (I heard it *after* the cover, which I've fallen in love with recently and is in my top most played list so, that's probably why I was "biased" in the opposite direction, eh...) - but you should listen to the Wilco version all the same.

Well that's a good point you make there. I've too found that when you get to hear and like a certain song that later turns out to be a cover, that you get to see the cover as the original because you've heard that one first. So I can see why you would like the Wilco version more.

I can email the mp3 to you, if you like. :)
I appreciate the offer, but I'll have to pass on that one. ;)

slightly
Mar 19, 2004, 07:58 AM
Sorry, this is the best cover of Satisfaction:
"Satisfaction (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=782049&selectedItemId=782020)"

You're both wrong. This is the best cover of Satisfaction:

Satisfaction by Cat Power (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=5254050&selectedItemId=5254026)

I would throw in the best cover of Oasis' Wonderwall, too, but Mike Flowers Pops isn't yet on iTunes.... :)

Mac-Xpert
Mar 19, 2004, 08:23 AM
I would throw in the best cover of Oasis' Wonderwall, too, but Mike Flowers Pops isn't yet on iTunes.... :) :p Yeah, that one was really funny. I'm not much of a Oasis fan (are these guys overrated or what?) so I did have a laugh about one. :D

QuiteSure
Mar 20, 2004, 07:49 AM
I like covers because they frequently give me an entry into artists I hadn't heard before. Whether I like the cover better than the original is really irrelevant; the real question is whether I like the cover at all. Because I am already familiar with the music and lyrics to a song I may be more open to hearing a new artist's musicianship than I might otherwise be if listening to an unfamiliar song. So covers can be fine.

As far as covers better than the original, consider "Sacrifice" by Sinead O'Connor, which appears on the "Two Rooms" tribute to Elton John and Bernie Taupin. Her version is quite haunting, and appeals to me more than the original, which is nevertheless very good.

Tequila Grandma
Mar 20, 2004, 10:44 AM
While I'm not quite sure it's as great as the original, Big Black's cover of "The Model" is fantastic. Another cover that doesn't quite reach the greatness of the original, but is still spectacular is Marilyn Manson's cover of "I Put a Spell On You" (originally by the wonderful Screamin' Jay Hawkins). Of course, it could just be that the cover was used so perfectly in Lynch's "Lost Highway", one of my favorite films.

JeffTL
Mar 20, 2004, 12:14 PM
Consider the song "Railroad Lady"

Put that into iTMS, you'll see that it was written by Jimmy Buffett and Jerry Jeff Walker. Buffett had a pretty good version of it on "A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean" -- a good album. There are no studio versions of Walker singing it on iTMS but I don't know that much about his oeuvre so there may be one somewhere.

In addition to JD Crowe and the New South, there is one very good cover of the song: Willie Nelson did it. I have to say that in this instance, he sang a Buffett song better than Jimmy did.

But there are some artists better left uncovered -- the Beatles and Harry Chapin are probably best left alone because it's so hard to improve, though one must admit that Johnny Cash did very well with "Cat's In The Cradle."

SeaFox
Mar 20, 2004, 04:54 PM

"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" gets covered a lot. I like some song covers and I have a couple of that song that popped to my mind first when I saw this thread. PJ Harvey and Bjork covered it at a concert, and Harvey's raspy vocals work well for it. Cat Power also has covered it. Her version is much differnet from Stones' original, she doesn't sing the chorus at all.

Collide's cover of Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" is interesting but I can't call it fantastic from a talent standpoint (or maybe it's a production one).

Ben Harper and Jack Johnson covered Bob Marley's "High Tide, Low Tide" and I like it more than the original. I didn't know about it at all until someone here on the forums asked for it.

Mac-Xpert
Mar 22, 2004, 06:35 AM
While I'm not quite sure it's as great as the original, Big Black's cover of "The Model" is fantastic. Another cover that doesn't quite reach the greatness of the original, but is still spectacular is Marilyn Manson's cover of "I Put a Spell On You" (originally by the wonderful Screamin' Jay Hawkins). Of course, it could just be that the cover was used so perfectly in Lynch's "Lost Highway", one of my favorite films.I see edesignuk didn't catch you yet :D

I liked "lost Highway" and particularly it's soundtrack too. But to be honest I though Manson's cover was one of the least interesting tracks. I liked the Bowie track and the Rammstein one a lot more. Rammstein seemed perfect for the dark and vague atmosphere of this Lynch movie.

Tequila Grandma
Mar 22, 2004, 12:34 PM
I see edesignuk didn't catch you yet :D

I liked "lost Highway" and particularly it's soundtrack too. But to be honest I though Manson's cover was one of the least interesting tracks. I liked the Bowie track and the Rammstein one a lot more. Rammstein seemed perfect for the dark and vague atmosphere of this Lynch movie.
No disagreement from me here. My favorite tracks are probably the Bowie one, and Barry Adamson's "Something Wicked This Way Comes", but I didn't mention them because the thread was about covers ;)

About a month ago, I had the opportunity to attend a theatrical screening of "Lost Highway", and it was far more fantastic than it ever was at home. I'm still sad that USA Home Entertainment was purchased by Universal, because they were planning to release a nice DVD edition of "Lost Highway" in Fall of 2002, but when Universal bought them, all forthcoming projects were stopped. Quite sad, considering it's still not on DVD in region 1.

Mac-Xpert
Mar 23, 2004, 08:43 AM
I'm still sad that USA Home Entertainment was purchased by Universal, because they were planning to release a nice DVD edition of "Lost Highway" in Fall of 2002, but when Universal bought them, all forthcoming projects were stopped. Quite sad, considering it's still not on DVD in region 1.That's strange, they did release Lost Highway on DVD over here. Actually I never saw this one at the cinema but at a friend of mine whom has it on DVD. (he also just bought "Mullholland drive" which only came out recently over here too) But those are of course region 2 DVD's.

But we are indeed drifting of topic now :p

Bilvox
Mar 23, 2004, 12:46 PM
:)

this is my band (guitar, vocals, lyrics)
check it out

http://www.bilvox.com/album/the_spark_blue.mp3

recorded on mac with protools
cheers
-bilvox

natenoel10
Mar 27, 2004, 04:53 PM
PUNK COVERS ROCK! sry to butt in on your intelligent conversation but i had to say that.....

Mac-Xpert
Mar 29, 2004, 10:17 AM
:)

this is my band (guitar, vocals, lyrics)
check it out

http://www.bilvox.com/album/the_spark_blue.mp3

recorded on mac with protools
cheers
-bilvox
I finally had some time to listen to it. It's not a bad track. Does have a bit of a 80's "U2" sound to it. Like in this U2 song (It's even in the same key! :) )Running to stand still (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=346604&selectedItemId=346588) I did find the rhythm pattern in the chorus line a bit strange. But the bridge with the piano is quite nice.

Maybe you should start you own thread about your band if you like to get more response.