PDA

View Full Version : Apple vs. Palm: the in-depth analysis

MacBytes
Jan 28, 2009, 04:05 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Apple vs. Palm: the in-depth analysis (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090128170503)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

jav6454
Jan 28, 2009, 05:17 PM
Very interesting read here. I agree that if Apple looses its patent war, the iPhone is going to suffer a lot due to the close relation of those 3 patents Engadget found.

All, I know is that Apple, (like the article said) will be firing the first shot in this already heated up conflict. And yes, I do believe that both companies made their product thinking each can prove wrong anyone who says "My patent was violated!"

Being a overall Apple user, I just hope Apple does win in protecting its patents.

Kilamite
Jan 28, 2009, 05:35 PM
I love Engadget for their really good analysis on laws.

As they said, if Palm did try to bring Apple down, Apple could drag it out over a few years and Palm most likely within that time would have to declare bankruptcy.

Apple may have an operating system named after cats, but they are no pussies ;)

LeviG
Jan 28, 2009, 05:50 PM
Admittedly not all areas are covered in the article but it basically follows my usual view about patents - you can get a patent on the daftest of things, take scrolling by finger on a touchscreen, its common sense that left and right will scroll left and right for example or the ones where you have to use your finger to select an icon/menu when there isn't any other way on a capacitive screen. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that palm has enough gesture based patents (from its old pda days) that would easily protect it from apple or give it ammo to get a 'you can use mine if we can use yours' type settlement. Nokia also has multitouch gesture patents too so I wouldn't be surprised if palm has something similar knocking away somewhere.

Personally I like the palm more than the iPhone in terms of os, the design isn't really business enough (can't think of a better way to describe it) for my tastes but I may still buy one though if it ever gets released in the UK.

elppa
Jan 28, 2009, 07:10 PM
How can you like the Palm Web OS more than OS X on iPhone when you haven't used it?

Liking the look of the Palm is different. From the carefully controlled tech demo it did indeed look impressive (albeit not as jaw dropping or revolutionary as the iPhone did after its carefully controlled tech demo two years ago), but you can't actually like it more because for the moment it is vapourware.

There could be a lot of flaws hiding in there, just as the iPhone had and does have flaws which weren't fully revealed or realised until it was in people's hands being used (copy and paste etc.).

j_maddison
Jan 28, 2009, 08:17 PM
I have an iPhone, and I totally love my iPhone, even though it drives me nuts that there is no copy and paste, it can't multi task, and not having mms is just plain stupid.

The thing that really stood out for me when I first started using the iPhone was that the OS looked and acted exactly like the Palm OS. Icons that you touch to open an application, and the application that have to close before you can open another application. To me the iPhone was the phone that Palm should have designed, but instead stagnated with the Treo.

As good as the iPhone is, I welcome the `pre and it's interface. I really do think that the iPhone needs this competition in order to move forward. The iPhone OS has a pretty basic design that is dated and lacks so many features. I know it's simplicity to some extent makes it the phone it is, simple to use etc, but it really does need some major updates. In phone years it's definitely showing it's age IMO

jay

LeviG
Jan 29, 2009, 05:04 AM
How can you like the Palm Web OS more than OS X on iPhone when you haven't used it?

Liking the look of the Palm is different. From the carefully controlled tech demo it did indeed look impressive (albeit not as jaw dropping or revolutionary as the iPhone did after its carefully controlled tech demo two years ago), but you can't actually like it more because for the moment it is vapourware.

There could be a lot of flaws hiding in there, just as the iPhone had and does have flaws which weren't fully revealed or realised until it was in people's hands being used (copy and paste etc.).

True but the iPhone's major flaws (most of the main ones are still there) all appear to be missing in the pre and I remind you that the iPhone was also announced 6 months prior to release, was that vapourwear? You can also get a good feel for an os from the demonstrations (no os is perfect) and this in my view looks superior to apples mobile os-x (which I have used and found far too limiting for my tastes)

elppa
Jan 29, 2009, 06:52 AM
True but the iPhone's major flaws (most of the main ones are still there) all appear to be missing in the pre and I remind you that the iPhone was also announced 6 months prior to release, was that vapourwear?
Yes, of course it was.

You can also get a good feel for an os from the demonstrations (no os is perfect)
This is where we differ. I don't think you can.

and this in my view looks superior to apples mobile os-x (which I have used and found far too limiting for my tastes)

The OS is not limited on a technical level.

It can multi-task. It is capable of copy and paste.

These aren't implemented yet though.

No one knows much about the foundations of Palm's OS (power management, networking stack, 2D and 3D graphics) other than it uses the Linux kernel.

PCMacUser
Jan 29, 2009, 07:31 AM
I completely agree with the authors of the article when they say this:

That said, we'll go on record: all we want is for both Apple and Palm to come to the table, hammer out a cross-licensing agreement like other companies in the wireless industry do all the time, and get back to work on innovative, exciting technologies and devices.

LeviG
Jan 29, 2009, 08:31 AM
The OS is not limited on a technical level.
neither is android or any other linux/unix, but how many times do we see the comments regarding android as being unfinished. If the features aren't available then the underlaying technical level of the os isn't being used is it. The underlying hardware is basically the same as many other phones yet apple has not allowed certain features to be enabled which others have.
Besides we can't even get to the underlying code on the apple product without jailbreaking it, i'll admit I'm not sure how easy it will be on the pre.

It can multi-task. It is capable of copy and paste.

These aren't implemented yet though.
and will likely not be implemented any time soon - apple already blocks multiple programs running together to make sure poor performance doesn't show (this might change with newer cpu's though) and if copy and paste was to be implemented it would have been already as its been 2 years since people started moaning about its absense.

No one knows much about the foundations of Palm's OS (power management, networking stack, 2D and 3D graphics) other than it uses the Linux kernel.
Palm has a long history with mobile (pda) software (this is their core business) so I would expect the power and networking to be up there with the best, graphics well that we will have to see but I would expect it to be as good as the hardware allows (this is palms last chance so to speak) but personally I don't buy a phone for the 3d graphics capabilities as I'm not going to be using it. The video doesn't exactly look shoddy though does it.

Theres a difference between the iPhone and Palm pre in that the iPhone isn't really a true smartphone (its too media/consumer orientated - ipod touch plus phone bit) where as the likes of palm and windows are and always have been more business orientated products.

PCMacUser
Jan 29, 2009, 08:36 AM
Theres a difference between the iPhone and Palm pre in that the iPhone isn't really a true smartphone (its too media/consumer orientated - ipod touch plus phone bit) where as the likes of palm and windows are and always have been more business orientated products.

While I don't think that a smartphone has to be a business orientated product by definition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone), I do agree that Palm/Windows phones are more focused on that market sector.