Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musiqzuki

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
So whenever I turn on the Airport to connect to my Wireless, only one of my speakers crack and pop. When I turn off Airport, that cracking and popping goes away.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem...?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
So whenever I turn on the Airport to connect to my Wireless, only one of my speakers crack and pop. When I turn off Airport, that cracking and popping goes away.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem...?

Is the noise a constant thing or just when the sound is first turned on? If its constant, definitely call up Applecare and schedule to have it looked at. Might be as simple as a poorly insulated wire taking interference from the WiFi, or as bad news as a short somewhere on the logic board.

musiqzuki

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
sorry i forgot to mention they were external speakers plugged into the macbook headphone jack.
i'm not sure if you're referring to the macbook speakers or the external speakers. sorry for the confusion

its mostly constant with airport turned on. sometimes it isn't but thats more rare. and even if it isn't constant, it pops up at certain intervals.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
sorry i forgot to mention they were external speakers plugged into the macbook headphone jack.

its mostly constant with airport turned on. sometimes it isn't but thats more rare. and even if it isn't constant, it pops up at certain intervals.

Ah, that makes the problem easier to troubleshoot. Move the speakers around, namely the wires away from the computer. If that doesn't work, and the speakers use non-proprietary connectors, grab another set of cables, specifically labeled as shielded. Chances are the speaker cables are poorly shielded and are taking interference.

musiqzuki

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
you have a point, cuz when I move my macbook with airport on away from the speakers, the popping goes away....

i'll try moving my wires around. whats also weird is the remote thing where you can plug in the headphone, aux, adjust volume change treble etc... when i move it around, it can cause my other speaker to start popping and cracking. sometimes when i cover the remote with my hand, the popping goes away too. seems to be some kinda wireless interference....

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
you have a point, cuz when I move my macbook with airport on away from the speakers, the popping goes away....

i'll try moving my wires around. whats also weird is the remote thing where you can plug in the headphone, aux, adjust volume change treble etc... when i move it around, it can cause my other speaker to start popping and cracking. sometimes when i cover the remote with my hand, the popping goes away too. seems to be some kinda wireless interference....

If its an issue of the computer-->remote link, then you'll just have to reposition the remote I'd wager (generally the wire is soldered to the remote end). Glad it was a relatively simple fix :)

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
i'm not sure if you're referring to the macbook speakers or the external speakers. sorry for the confusion

This sounds more like the infamous "Macbook popping issue with speakers attached" rather than anything to do with interference. Time it, and see if the popping occurs ~30 seconds after a noise comes through the speakers. Then the popping will occur the next time a sound is played. This is the sound of the Macbook sound card going to sleep.
If this is the case then download SoundOn and put it in your startup items. You can get it from http://www.ziksw.com/soundon/ ...it's a PPC application but it's so tiny that there are no adverse CPU effects on new Macs. It basically just stops the sound card from sleeping so there is no pop. :)

Let me know how you get on,
Ryan

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
I was under the impression that most electronics did this. My iPhone causes indirect interference with speakers, likewise with my old (wireless-enabled) Windows machine. How often does it occur?

musiqzuki

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
This sounds more like the infamous "Macbook popping issue with speakers attached" rather than anything to do with interference. Time it, and see if the popping occurs ~30 seconds after a noise comes through the speakers. Then the popping will occur the next time a sound is played. This is the sound of the Macbook sound card going to sleep.
If this is the case then download SoundOn and put it in your startup items. You can get it from http://www.ziksw.com/soundon/ ...it's a PPC application but it's so tiny that there are no adverse CPU effects on new Macs. It basically just stops the sound card from sleeping so there is no pop. :)

Let me know how you get on,
Ryan

This shouldn't be the problem, I know what you mean when you plug in headphones, I get that thing you're talking about.
I'll prob. try using that app if I ever use headphones on my Macbook, don't have headphones currently...

But, even without the speakers plugged into the headphone jack, just with it turned on, it pops and cracks with Airport on.
I'm still trying to move the remote and speakers around... kinda works but hard to, since my desk is already so small.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I was under the impression that most electronics did this. My iPhone causes indirect interference with speakers, likewise with my old (wireless-enabled) Windows machine. How often does it occur?

Very often actually. The iPhone is very nasty in terms of creating pops and cracks when its near speakers in my experience (or an amp for that matter). That's probably due to the higher power output of the cellular antenna compared to a WiFi antenna though. The phenomena in general is a product of cheaply shielded cables, and poorly shielded speaker enclosures.

musiqzuki

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Ah, that makes the problem easier to troubleshoot. Move the speakers around, namely the wires away from the computer. If that doesn't work, and the speakers use non-proprietary connectors, grab another set of cables, specifically labeled as shielded. Chances are the speaker cables are poorly shielded and are taking interference.

So I tried moving the wires around, that didn't help much. Moving the amp doesn't help at all.

What do you mean by non-proprietary connectors? The pop and crack usually comes from the left channel of the speaker. Is there a link to what you mean by those shielded cables.

This popping is driving me nuts... I tried repositioning the laptop in a different area on the shelf of my desk, and the popping stopped. I thought I solved the problem, but there goes the popping again. Its still funny how if I cover my hand over the remote, the popping stops. messed up

I switched my right speaker to the left channel, and the popping goes to that speaker. I thought it was a problem with the AMP, so I had it replaced, but still same problem

thanks

musiqzuki

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
so the speakers sometimes makes sounds when loading web pages lol.

are there external speakers that don't get interference from like incoming wireless cellphone calls?? and stupid interferences from like Airport and the Remote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.