PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Tournament 2004 Goes Gold! Will ship on DVD.

MacBytes
Mar 15, 2004, 02:22 PM
Category: Games
Link: Unreal Tournament 2004 Goes Gold! Will ship on DVD. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040315152214)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

Photorun
Mar 15, 2004, 02:38 PM
AWESOME! Wish they gave the exact date though. :confused:

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 15, 2004, 02:42 PM
AWESOME! Wish they gave the exact date though. :confused:Its great ut2004 is ready but its not smart going to only a DVD version for sale. there are many powermacs,Imacs that have CD burners only. They should have waited another year or 2 until going to only DVD. this makes a small Mac market even smaller in my H.O. this will not help sales in any fashion.

nickmcghie
Mar 15, 2004, 03:08 PM
Its great ut2004 is ready but its not smart going to only a DVD version for sale. there are many powermacs,Imacs that have CD burners only. They should have waited another year or 2 until going to only DVD. this makes a small Mac market even smaller in my H.O. this will not help sales in any fashion.

did you just the system requirements? it requires a minimum of a 933mhz processor and 32mb graphics card. i believe most macs that support these system requirements also have a DVD drive

sharky2313
Mar 15, 2004, 03:23 PM
did you just the system requirements? it requires a minimum of a 933mhz processor and 32mb graphics card. i believe most macs that support these system requirements also have a DVD drive

nope you can still get combo drives on many many macs. This DVD only while a step in the right direction is too early I think for games.

skymaXimus
Mar 15, 2004, 03:27 PM
nope you can still get combo drives on many many macs. This DVD only while a step in the right direction is too early I think for games.
I believe a combo drive will read dvd's ;)

bousozoku
Mar 15, 2004, 03:39 PM
I believe a combo drive will read dvd's ;)

Isn't that the combo part? :D

It's going to take a hearty machine but not that much more thankfully. My dual G4/800 is still safe.

The GM for Mac is only a week after the GM for Windows--that's impressive!

Nermal
Mar 15, 2004, 03:47 PM
its not smart going to only a DVD version for sale. there are many powermacs,Imacs that have CD burners only.

Am I the only person who read this as "they've only got CD burners so I can't copy the DVD"?

killmoms
Mar 15, 2004, 05:37 PM
Am I the only person who read this as "they've only got CD burners so I can't copy the DVD"?
No, you're not. I'm glad they're only releasing on DVD. Maybe it'll help cut down on piracy a bit. That's the last thing the Mac gaming platform needs.

--Cless

Xero
Mar 15, 2004, 07:32 PM
there is really no reason this game, or any other power hungry games shouldnt be released on DVD's at this point. Any mac thats fast enough to run the newest games will have a DVD drive obviously... this is mostly true for PC's too, although combo type drives arent as widespread on PC's (so some computers might only have a cd burner, etc..).

The only real issue with games on DVD is they probably wouldnt be as easy to pirate... *cough* *cough* :rolleyes:

nagromme
Mar 15, 2004, 08:21 PM
Epic has fixed a bug that now DOUBLES framerates for SINGLE-CPU Macs. The retail game will run better than the demo--and a patched demo is on the way too. Throw in updates OpenGL drivers with Panther 10.3.3 and things are looking good!

UT2k4 runs very nicely on my AlBook 1.25--at full native widescreen res :) Even my below-min eMac/700 is playable and fun, for smaller battles. (This is AFTER I applied a home fix to the above bug: change UseSound to = False. It's a temporary fix only: you lose sound, but it fixes the speed bug. The retail version was fixed before shipping anyway.)

I'm glad it's on DVD too. What TINY fraction of Macs capable of running this game do not have DVD-reading? Get a DVD drive--you'll find lots of uses for it :) Meanwhile the majority will have DVD convenience instead of swapping CDs all over the place like so many PC users!

BTW, Amazon has it for $35, shipped free.