Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
A person could go mad trying to pinpoint the moment he lost a friend. So seldom does that friend make his feelings clear by sending out an e-mail alert.

It’s not just a fact of life, but also a policy on Facebook. While many trivial actions do prompt Facebook to post an alert to all your friends — adding a photo, changing your relationship status, using Fandango to buy tickets to “Paul Blart: Mall Cop” — striking someone off your list simply is not one of them.

It is this policy that Burger King ran afoul of this month with its “Whopper Sacrifice” campaign, which offered a free hamburger to anyone who severed the sacred bonds with 10 of the friends they had accumulated on Facebook. Facebook suspended the program because Burger King was sending notifications to the castoffs letting them know they’d been dropped for a sandwich (or, more accurately, a tenth of a sandwich).

Link.

Gotta love modern day marketing schemes!

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
I remember seeing this a month or two back, around Christmas time.

I don't know how well it's doing.

You'd think it would go the other way around - you add a friend and get a burger. The way it is now, it's a pretty negative ad campaign...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Me too. I'm willing to delete 100 friends, minimum. Ten burgers is a lot of food! Also, it's BK, which has better burgers (but worse french fries) than McDs.

I don't even think I know some of my FB friends.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Maybe if it was Chili's offering a free Bleu Cheese Burger. But Burger King and places like it are pretty disgusting in my book. Though I would gladly take the few dollars the Whopper costs:D.

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
I have no friends in my facebook, just my mom and some pilitical candidate that lost the last election by the way. :(

pooky

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
Way to get my hopes up! Ugh, I'd drop 10 friends in exchange for not having to eat at Burger King.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.