PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Will Apple's App Store change the desktop app mark...

MacBytes
Jan 29, 2009, 06:40 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Services
Link: Opinion: Will Apple's App Store change the desktop app market? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090129194027)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

TuffLuffJimmy
Jan 29, 2009, 06:44 PM
Oh god! I really hope no app store comes up for OS X apps. Maybe for widgets, but it'd be terrible if you could only install Apple signed apps.

NT1440
Jan 29, 2009, 06:48 PM
Oh god! I really hope no app store comes up for OS X apps. Maybe for widgets, but it'd be terrible if you could only install Apple signed apps.

+1

Terrible idea.

TuffLuffJimmy
Jan 29, 2009, 06:50 PM
+1

Terrible idea.

It would be a bad idea for apps, but I think it would be cool for widgets, if there were more of a widget app store. That'd be much better than what we have right now.

NT1440
Jan 29, 2009, 06:52 PM
It would be a bad idea for apps, but I think it would be cool for widgets, if there were more of a widget app store. That'd be much better than what we have right now.

How bout a widget section of the itunes store?

TuffLuffJimmy
Jan 29, 2009, 06:55 PM
How bout a widget section of the itunes store?

Yeeeeeeeeees

iVoid
Jan 29, 2009, 07:01 PM
+1

Terrible idea.

+1000

I'd never use a desktop OS that was that restrictive. I barely tolerate the iPhone's app restrictions.

cspace
Jan 29, 2009, 07:25 PM
Yeah, what a dumb idea. A place where you could go to find apps, easily pay for them, get updates as they appear? That's a rubbish idea.

Tallest Skil
Jan 29, 2009, 07:26 PM
Yeah, what a dumb idea. A place where you could go to find apps, easily pay for them, get updates as they appear? That's a rubbish idea.

Be bound to Apple's restrictive criteria of application acceptance? That IS a terrible idea.

jayducharme
Jan 29, 2009, 07:42 PM
A broader App Store could grow in two directions: as a source for other slimmed-down devices, most notably netbooks, and as a place for software distribution for full-featured computers running operating systems such as Mac OS X, Windows Vista or, down the road, Windows 7.

Not bloody likely until bandwidth improves tenfold. Downloading a 2mb app is one thing, but having lots of customers downloading a 4 gb operating system would bring a current network like AT&T to its knees. And even via WiFi on a broadband network it would take about an hour.

This might eventually happen, but first we'd need new technologies like the coming UHF WiFi. Give it a decade. But I still think Jobs' vision of everything being "in the cloud" is the route technology will take.

cspace
Jan 29, 2009, 07:43 PM
I'm not quite sure why people think it is an all or nothing thing. Just because that is how it is implemented on the iPhone doesn't mean it has to be that way for a desktop/laptop. I suspect Apple will use it in their tablet/netbook, and then eventually extend it to desktops. But hey, if I'm the only one who thinks it makes sense I guess it'll flop big time.

SwiftLives
Jan 29, 2009, 07:48 PM
I think app downloads will be implemented sooner than you think. More and more companies will be making their software available for download with the option of purchasing optical media for a fee.

Marketing departments will say it's part of their efforts to "go green" by not producing as much waste.

Financial departments will sigh with relief that they no longer have to spend the money to produce packaging, CDs/DVDs, instruction booklets, etc.

And in this current economic crisis...we'll be seeing this soon.

If Apple did it, they would most likely have a place to purchase only Apple apps. At least I would hope Apple's legendary control issues wouldn't require them to digitally sign every app available for their OS.

thejadedmonkey
Jan 29, 2009, 07:52 PM
If it's done correctly, it would be great. However, if it's not done right, it's useless. and there's a 99% chance of screwing it up. That's how I see it.

Winni
Jan 29, 2009, 08:06 PM
The OS X market has always been a huge Shareware (or try-before-you-buy) market. I have purchased most of my apps, including Photoshop and Flash, as downloadable versions. So this model of distribution is hardly anything new - we've been doing this for years now.

That being said, in the PC/Mac market, there is absolutely no need for something like an AppStore. And I also cannot imagine that software developers would like the idea - especially not if would be the possible only way distributing an application. If it's an additional option, like Apple's current "software" section on the Apple website, then that's ok and it will be accepted.

From the consumer perspective, I also hate the thought of having an exclusive AppStore for OS X -- it closes down the environment, takes away my freedom and my control over --MY-- equipment. No. As an additional feature for iTunes, I don't care, because I won't ever use it. But if a shop like this becomes the only option to obtain software for my Mac, I will leave the Mac world immediately without a second thought and without ever looking back.

cspace
Jan 29, 2009, 08:15 PM
After reading these comments I'm completely convinced the app store will be extended to other platforms and will be a success. In 2 years we can all have a laugh.

hexor
Jan 29, 2009, 09:15 PM
This could be something as simple as a "Sand Box" area of Mac OS X. You would not be restricted from doing what you normally do now. There would simply be apps signed/approved/developed or whatever that only work in the sand-boxed area.

dvince2
Jan 29, 2009, 10:39 PM
Doesn't Ubuntu have something like this already? A centralized location where the user can pick and choose from software that's available, and then click and have it downloaded/installed right away?

Poff
Jan 30, 2009, 08:53 AM
Oh no! I really hope no app store comes up for OS X apps. Maybe for widgets, but it'd be terrible if you could only install Apple signed apps.

Why should it be the only way to install apps. It could be an additional way. Enter your card information, and the app is installed and registered, developers gets their share of the money automatically etc.

For smaller developers, I'm thinking apps like Pixelmator, Rapidweaver, Coda (Panic) etc, it would be great not to have to think about how you're gonna sell your stuff.

Doesn't Ubuntu have something like this already? A centralized location where the user can pick and choose from software that's available, and then click and have it downloaded/installed right away?

yup. Works without a glitch.

TuffLuffJimmy
Jan 30, 2009, 08:56 AM
Why should it be the only way to install apps. It could be an additional way. Enter your card information, and the app is installed and registered, developers gets their share of the money automatically etc.

For smaller developers, I'm thinking apps like Pixelmator, Rapidweaver, Coda (Panic) etc, it would be great not to have to think about how you're gonna sell your stuff.

I'm just looking at the big picture. If the app store really caught on, then eventually Apple might be able to phase out real app installation and we'd be stuck with nothing but the app store.

cmwade77
Jan 30, 2009, 12:07 PM
If it were an optional way to get software (in other words, you could still install software in all of the ways you do now) I think it could be a viable option, I mean, imagine if you could have a central location where you software could be downloaded and updated. But again, it would need to be OPTIONAL.

BenRoethig
Jan 30, 2009, 12:42 PM
On one hand, a desktop App store has a lot of potential and digital downloads will eventually be how programs are purchased. On the other, there have been a lot of abuses with the mobile app store. I do not want Apple dictating how I should be using my Mac and what types on programs should be on it. If it does come, there also needs to be a boxed option.

ronb
Jan 30, 2009, 01:18 PM
I purchase downloaded software all the time. Mostly from developers that DO NOT have their products in normal channels. But I believe it's inevitable that Apple's existing "Apple Store" will start offering downloadable purchases of Apple and third party software products. It won't need to be controlled like the App store for the iPhone. Those restrictions are there only because of the particulars on the hardware. And the size of the applications shouldn't be an issue. After all, they already have shows and movies being downloaded through iTunes that are 1GB+.
I agree there should be an option for media if the user would like, and most developers do give you both options, but they also offer a discount for the "downloaded" version.
And I believe we'll see local desktop hardware become less reliant on physical media. And I foresee the majority of people having their data at least one central location in the future - either on a local "Time Capsule" type server, and/or a copy of it all at an online data service.

My two cents worth

...Ron