Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poozer115

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Hiya everyone. You may remember my older post about picking a computer for my girlfriend. Anyways, we ended up going with the Whitebook, 2.4 ghz, 160 hd, 2gb ram refurbed. Tomorrow night I'm going to help her get acquainted with the OsX and such.
Anyways, nothing like a night of intimate file transferring. Can anybody tell me how to transfer huge amounts of data between computers easily? I know this is an incredibly newbish question, but i've only ever added stuff to my Macbook, and sent files to friends, nothing more. How can I mass transfer about 80 gb from a pc to a mac? Thanks!

mbcollins93

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008
external harddrive would work. do you have a wireless network? if you do try this. this is what I did. go to my computer on ur pc. and then to local disk. create a file called local share folder or something similar. Put the files you want to tranfer in that folder. then go back to my computer and left click local disk and go down to sharing and security. click on the link. then click the link in network sharing and security (the link should say [if you understand the security...]. Then click [just enable file sharing] and then click ok. Now in network sharring and security, check the share this folder on network box. and then apply. Now your hole hard drive is being shared on the network. now go to your mac and go to macintosh hd. look in the left pain and you should see your computer under shared click on the computer's name and find your share folder, you created earlier. THne you should see your files. just drap and drop them onto your mac. Now if you want to keep sharing your pc's hard drive you are done. but if you want to go back to normal, go to your pc. click my computer. right click local disk. go down to sharing and security. in network sharing and security, uncheck share this folder on the network and apply. you are done
I hope this helps.
cheers

poozer115

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Thanks! I never thought of using an external hard drive between two computers, silly me =D. I've only ever used mine for Time Machine. Thanks a bunch!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.