Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Herins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Hello. I plugged my ipod in via USB and waited for it to show up in iTunes, which it didn't. It says not to disconnect it, but I have no way of ejecting it. I recently had my mac in for servicing and hadn't plugged my ipod in since then. Any ideas?? Thank you

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Just yank it. OSX and Apple in general like to bitch at you about disconnecting. The reality is that there will only be a problem if data was in the process of being written to the iPod (in which case it will corrupt the file that was being transferred)

Once you pull it out, try plugging it back in, ideally to a different USB port to make sure everything is kosher. This is not a serious problem (yet). Don't be scared of those screens; don't let the iPod tell you what to do. I have yanked my iPod out multiple times and it really does no damage (again, so long as it isn't trying to actively write data, which, if it is not being detected at all, is not)

[EDIT]
Try looking in System Profiler and see if the iPod is coming up at all. If Finder isn't seeing it though, I doubt it will. Again, don't freak out, this happens from time to time, just unplug and replug once the iPod reboots itself.
[/EDIT]

Herins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Hmmm. I disconnected it and my ipod is stuck on "Do not disconnect". Is there a magical reset button somewhere???

Never mind! Googled!

Thank you.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Hmmm. I disconnected it and my ipod is stuck on "Do not disconnect". Is there a magical reset button somewhere???

Never mind! Googled!

Thank you.

Good good. Way to solve some of your own problems as opposed to some of the folks on here...

Is it connecting to the computer OK now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.