PDA

View Full Version : iPhones, Zunes and Apple Stores

MacBytes
Jan 30, 2009, 12:48 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Services
Link: iPhones, Zunes and Apple Stores (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090130014848)
Description:: Comparing the iPod business plan with the Zune business plan.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

DMann
Jan 30, 2009, 01:19 AM
The Zune will have it's own app store, while sales have dropped significantly, from an already bottom level number. Surely, developers will clamor to write apps for the Zune and it's OS...

SandynJosh
Jan 30, 2009, 02:18 AM
"It's not just Microsoft looking at the App Store. Computerworld says the concept is being copied by virtually every company that develops smart-phone operating systems. Google Inc has launched a store for applications for its open-source Android smart phone system, Palm launched its own app store, and RIM has announced it will develop a store for BlackBerry users."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
When the fist of this bunch pulls the plug on their store, suddenly people will remember all the customers orphaned when various iTunes wannabe music sites shut down, and then Apple will look all the stronger and a safer platform choice.

I suspect it will be Palm first, followed by Google. MicroSoft will hold on in the face of terrible sales trying to find a formula that works just to save face. The real problem is that Apple's competitors are 15,000 apps behind the power curve with no base of powerful smart phone hardware to encourage software designers to write for.

Meanwhile Apple's got plans for further hardware that likely will make their app/music store all the more compelling...further burying the competition who have proven to not possess the imagination to see beyond where Apple is at the moment. It's not possible to get ahead of anyone if you are following the road they are making.

DMann
Jan 30, 2009, 03:33 AM
It's not possible to get ahead of anyone if you are following the road they are making.

A most insightful and pertinent quote!

winmacguy
Jan 30, 2009, 03:40 AM
"The real problem is that Apple's competitors are 15,000 apps behind the power curve with no base of powerful smart phone hardware to encourage software designers to write for.

Meanwhile Apple's got plans for further hardware that likely will make their app/music store all the more compelling...further burying the competition who have proven to not possess the imagination to see beyond where Apple is at the moment. It's not possible to get ahead of anyone if you are following the road they are making.

Just waiting for the bloodbath - of course all those companies affected will blame the difficult ecoomic conditions for the failure of their respective stores rather than the inability of their gadgets and software to actually work properly together.

PCMacUser
Jan 30, 2009, 04:48 AM
Competition is a good thing. Let's encourage it. I find it deeply concerning that so many people who write about 'Micro$oft' or 'M$' and all those things seem to want nothing less than for Apple to become a monopoly.

miketcool
Jan 30, 2009, 09:55 AM
Actually, I can see the Android Market application gaining some friends. I see a couple types of stores because that is completely open ended on Android. The Market app is the official Android store for now, but I also predict apps showing up for dev users and unlocked Android phones with all sorts of goodies. After all, these network based apps really just acts as a links. I wouldn't go concluding on Android's demise until you have tried it.

It has a lot to be desired at the moment, but the potential is HUGE. I love running multiple apps at once, don't you?

Sehnsucht
Jan 30, 2009, 10:34 AM
The Zune will have it's own app store, while sales have dropped significantly, from an already bottom level number. Surely, developers will clamor to write apps for the Zune and it's OS...

I'm going to write a cool-looking Zune app that will actually be a virus and have this nasty little effect:

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/TheDavidFrom1988/zune80.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D

IJ Reilly
Jan 30, 2009, 11:02 AM
The real stinger is at the end:

But going by past history, it won't be long before people forget it was Apple that made the whole thing successful in the first place.

It's funny, because it's true.

gkarris
Jan 30, 2009, 11:07 AM
I'm going to write a cool-looking Zune app that will actually be a virus and have this nasty little effect:

:D :D :D :D :D

Then starts the rumor that Zunes are iTunes compatible... :eek:

I don't get the point of the article, and anyways, I didn't know that Zunes were still selling... :rolleyes:

jayducharme
Jan 30, 2009, 06:09 PM
Sohn insisted Microsoft was ".. on track to deliver the next generation of Zune innovation in software and hardware." We'll soon see just what that means.

How about a device that doesn't fatally crash at New Years?

DMann
Jan 30, 2009, 06:56 PM
How about a device that doesn't fatally crash at New Years?

Now, there's a start.

winmacguy
Jan 30, 2009, 09:51 PM
Then starts the rumor that Zunes are iTunes compatible... :eek:

I don't get the point of the article, and anyways, I didn't know that Zunes were still selling... :rolleyes:

The point of the article is that it compares the two business models - one very successful and the other yet to get off the ground. Apparently Zunes are still being shipped between warehouses in the US but I am not sure that they are selling from shop selves.