Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdgrn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Pretty much, like the title says, I can not get my external monitor to hook up with my new MacBook Pro. I know how to get the windows desktop over onto the external monitor, but windows just recognizes the monitor for a moment, and then nothing. This cycles until I turn off the external monitor. I have the new MacBook Pro, with MiniDisplay port, and the monitor is hooked up with a DVI, and it is a 22" Acer.

Any ideas? I really want to use the external monitor just like one would on a normal Windows Laptop.

kngelv

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2004
Detroit
Put your Leopard install disc in your drive while in windows. When prompted select run setup.exe. Boot Camp installer will launch just accept agreement then install the Apple software update for windows. Once finished eject your Leopard disc and restart the computer. I just did this for my Windows 7 beta yesterday and now my external monitor ( Apple 24in LED ) works with Windows.

James

tdgrn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I already have the drivers for windows installed. I actually downloaded the Nvidia driver's straight from their website for the added performance and still no dice. Any other ideas?

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
While the ones on Nvidia's site may work, I would try the ones on the disc- I know that the ones at the Nvidia site are newer and may increase performance, but in my experience(and in a few other people's) the one's on the dvd are really the only ones that work well.

kngelv

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2004
Detroit
Did you try loading the Leopard disc while your external monitor was attached. This did the trick for me.

James

tdgrn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I have tried both the drivers that come on the disc, as well as the ones that come straight from Nvidia. And the monitor was hooked up both times... I'm really at a loss for this as I think I have tried just about everything.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
the only thing i can think of is that the adapter you are using to go from miniDisplay Port to DVI is defective. Is there any way to test it on another machine? If you can, that may allow us to establish whether or not it is your system or the adapter.

tdgrn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I know the adapter works, as it works under OS X like a champ. I am only having problems under Windows, both XP and Vista, as I have had both for BootCamp.

cbdevor

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
I just had the exact same issue and fixed it!!

I've got a 2 week old 15" macbook pro hooked up to a 24 inch LED monitor. When I just booted up in vista, the big screen wouldn't be recognized by windows (same situation as above). So I tried the install disk thing, but as mentioned about, that's needed only for the fist time and it didn't do it. I tried the reboot, also no luck.

Then.... now here's the best part..... wait for it.... I took the identical 24" Apple LED monitor sitting right next to it and unplugged that one from its 6 month old 13" macbook pro (well, at the time of purchase it was called just a macbook, but then they renamed the shiny 13" ones to macbook pros... and yes. it is an awesome setup). Anyway, connecting the identical 24" LED monitor #2 to the 15" macbook pro in vista worked just fine. Thus revealing it was the 1 week old 24 inch LED monitor which was the problem.

The solution: just unplug the monitor and plug it back in. (Or you could push the power button on and off! haha! In my next post, I'll tell you how to use the Apple 24 inch LED monitor contrast buttons and also how to connect it to something that doesn't rhyme with "ackook ro").
-chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.