Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

I have a somewhat mundane game called Gears of War, which can enjoyable for short periods of time. On the 28th of this month, ITS DRM EXPIRED!! :mad:

What moron, or group of morons, decided to put an expiration date on a DRM for a game that's not even 3 years old? What MORON puts an expiration date on a DRM period?!! :mad:

Epic Fail!!! This company used to make good games way back before MS got their grubby hooves on them.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Epic Fail!!! This company used to make good games way back before MS got their grubby hooves on them.

The first true Epic fail was UT3 :(
I heard about this whole situation and it's laughable. Hopefully it was all a big ploy to make DRM look evil and to get people wanting it removed full stop.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
I heard about this whole situation and it's laughable. Hopefully it was all a big ploy to make DRM look evil and to get people wanting it removed full stop.

In case there is any confusion, I think it's worth pointing out
that UT3 comes with a traditional DRM scheme wherein you
enter your serial code and play and that's it. No disc needed
in the machine. No online authorization or authentication.
None of that nonsense.

I don't regard UT3 as an utter failure. I think the real triumph
is the Unreal 3 engine that was developed for it. You can see
that engine at work in many other popular games. My personal
favourite at the moment is Mirror's Edge, a game of astonishing
beauty:

Edge.png

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Just because you didn't like it doesn't make it an epic fail. A lot of people really enjoyed UT3, and it sold very well on all three platforms.

Jakeblu

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Just because you didn't like it doesn't make it an epic fail. A lot of people really enjoyed UT3, and it sold very well on all three platforms.

I dont think he is complaining about the game but the crap DRM that came with it.

Steve

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I am referring to the game being a failure :p

I have the whole Unreal pack on Steam and UT3's active server numbers have dropped and dropped since launch. There are more active 2004 servers. I played it for a few weeks when it was first out and then in Dec to test out my new Macbook. But! Hopefully this big update coming out soon will fix everything. Just as 04 covered up UT2003's mistakes.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004

I have the whole Unreal pack on Steam and UT3's active server numbers have dropped and dropped since launch. There are more active 2004 servers. I played it for a few weeks when it was first out and then in Dec to test out my new Macbook. But! Hopefully this big update coming out soon will fix everything. Just as 04 covered up UT2003's mistakes.

:eek:

James_May.jpg

Radio Monk33

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007

Agreed, online play wise, UT3 is essentially a dead game..at least in the warfare mode. Too few servers, too few maps, too few players. And then the community screwed itself by making a million and one new custom maps.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
not epic's fault, it's microsh*t's fault for not renewing the security certificate or whatever it is

Mark Rein from Epic posted on the forum today that it was a mistake on their part, where as they were the ones that signed the executable with a certificate.

At least it wasn't their DRM -- which baffled me, because I have to put the DVD in my drive to launch the game. Anyways, still an Epic Fail! :]

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
If you want a quick work around, set your clock back before January 28th.

That's lame and you know it. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And what does that dork from Top Gear have to do with anything? :D

I drove to MicroCenter to pick up Mirror's edge 2 weeks back and they didn't have it in yet, but I still plan on getting it, just got distracted as usual. That game looks great on the PC. DICE is still a PC developer at heart, so I trust their games.

Mass Effect also runs on the UT3 engine and it's a great looking game in parts -- it still suffers from low-rez 360 textures. I'd say that BioWare's own Aurora engine looks just as good, if not better than the UT3 engine, based on my game The Witcher Enhanced, but I figure that they didn't use their engine, because they needed something that would run on a 360.

I have to wonder though, how does Epic feel about being in the 3D engine market when their current showcase is built on tech that's 3+ years behind PCs?

I think their recent PC makeup kiss with a long over due UT3 patch pretty much says it all, since it's not a stagnant platform. MS is also making efforts to appease PC gamers again, which I think has to do more with Windows 7 than anything else.

inigel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
No where
That's lame and you know it. :)

And what does that dork from Top Gear have to do with anything? :D

I drove to MicroCenter to pick up Mirror's edge 2 weeks back and they didn't have it in yet, but I still plan on getting it, just got distracted as usual. That game looks great on the PC. DICE is still a PC developer at heart, so I trust their games.

Mass Effect also runs on the UT3 engine and it's a great looking game in parts -- it still suffers from low-rez 360 textures. I'd say that BioWare's own Aurora engine looks just as good, if not better than the UT3 engine, based on my game The Witcher Enhanced, but I figure that they didn't use their engine, because they needed something that would run on a 360.

I have to wonder though, how does Epic feel about being in the 3D engine market when their current showcase is built on tech that's 3+ years behind PCs?

I think their recent PC makeup kiss with a long over due UT3 patch pretty much says it all, since it's not a stagnant platform. MS is also making efforts to appease PC gamers again, which I think has to do more with Windows 7 than anything else.

Epic are obviously going to release a patch to shut all the whinos up. Just chill the f**k out! :p

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
So they'll shut you up? I suppose you're being sarcastic?

But seriously, this game won't launch. I didn't "rent" it, I bought it. So if you're willing to excuse this BS, that's your prerogative. I've only had this game for about 2 months, it should STILL work.

So calling anyone a Whino, or some other made up slang, that paid for a product that BROKE do to a huge mistake on Epic's part, is nothing more than you being a complete ass.

Do you own GoW PC?

inigel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
No where
Just trolling. People are funny when things don't work for them. The same thing happened to me when I couldn't use .Mac for 3 days after the MobileMe transition.

If you be patient, it will be patched and you can go back to playing it. Maybe now is a good time to pull out an old game you don't have much time for?

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Just trolling. People are funny when things don't work for them. The same thing happened to me when I couldn't use .Mac for 3 days after the MobileMe transition.

If you be patient, it will be patched and you can go back to playing it. Maybe now is a good time to pull out an old game you don't have much time for?

I see. ¬¬

I'm just touchy about Epic, mainly because they **** over anyone that supported them early on -- like me, then accussed us of all being pirates. So I don't have much patients for them now days. :eek:

The only reason I bought this game, is because a friend insisted that it was really really really good on the PC.

inigel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
No where
I see. ¬¬

I'm just touchy about Epic, mainly because they **** over anyone that supported them early on -- like me, then accussed us of all being pirates. So I don't have much patients for them now days. :eek:

The only reason I bought this game, is because a friend insisted that it was really really really good on the PC.

I prefer console games. Mainly games are rubbish on Mac, plus I don't really want to upgrade every 6 months when the next big game comes out.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
I prefer console games. Mainly games are rubbish on Mac, plus I don't really want to upgrade every 6 months when the next big game comes out.

Yeah, Mac gaming hasn't been great this past decade -- Blizzard is an exception, there games with mods are forever. :)

But your comment about PC upgrades isn't realistic for the majority of us. You're telling someone that has never stopped gaming on PCs and has been doing so for two decades now. Try every 3 or 4 years. Even my enthusiast friends are every 2 years or so for an upgrade.

The performance of GPUs might increase every 6 months or so, but it takes time to produce a good PC game, so the real PC developers will put in options for the latest GPU at that time, but not ignore everyone else. By the time their game is released, that GPU that was high-end, is now a mid to low range option.

When PC games aren't a complete afterthought and are produced by competent developer -- Epic is a good example -- they'll run great on a wide variety of configurations. The UT3 engine is heavily optimized for PCs and doesn't need a bleeding edge PC to handle it. You only need a low-mid range PC by today's standard to run a game like Gears of War at max detail -- a system that's well under a $K in the US, if you piece it together, which most PC gamer will do. It looks better on PCs and it runs at a higher frame rate. The same is true for games like Mass Effect.

Also the amount of money saved on PC games can cover the cost of an upgrade every few years. I only paid $39 for Left 4 Dead and Dead Space at launch. Even on sale, most console games are still about $15 higher than their PC counterpart.

Anyways, I like console gaming also. I've owned a console for almost every generation since the 8-bit days. But I only like consoles for the games that are best played on a gamepad, where as I like PC for the games that are best played with a mouse.

inigel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
No where
I'm just generalising with the upgrade every six months, that is usually when a major GPU update comes out. I only play Team Fortress 2 and Flight Simulator on my Mac Pro. It's almost 12 months old and going great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.