PDA

View Full Version : January 30, 1996: Sun To Buy Apple?

MacBytes
Jan 30, 2009, 09:20 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: History
Link: January 30, 1996: Sun To Buy Apple? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090130102041)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Tallest Skil
Jan 30, 2009, 09:22 AM
*wipes sweat off of brow*

Close one, eh? Thank you, Steve!

What would that have been, do you think? No Steve to force innovation again, and no Jonathan Ive to design anything.

They probably would have just sold off everything and slowly shut down production until all lines were discontinued.

Oh, except the Newton. The Newton would have become Sun's most profitable device.

impierced
Jan 30, 2009, 09:44 AM
Ah... the good ol Sun + Apple = Snapple rumors. :eek:

Eric S.
Jan 30, 2009, 10:22 AM
Yes, Apple as we know it today would have never come into existence. But the January 30, 2006, rumor should be the other way around, given where Sun's stock price has been lately.

gkarris
Jan 30, 2009, 10:30 AM
Ah... the good ol Sun + Apple = Snapple rumors. :eek:

Oh, I remember this now - SCARY....

Back when people were laughing at Apple.

I guess they're not laughing anymore... :eek:

MooneyFlyer
Jan 30, 2009, 10:34 AM
Today's market caps..

JAVA - 3.27B
AAPL - 81.39B

~25x...

Spock
Jan 30, 2009, 10:45 AM
I recall some of the rumors like this, the one that really got me is when they said Disney was gonna buy Apple.

IJ Reilly
Jan 30, 2009, 11:45 AM
The Sun takeover rumors persisted for quite awhile during the 1996-97 timeframe. Contrary to what the article suggests, I don't know how anxious Apple's board was to make this happen, though, and Sun never did make a truly serious offer. Today, Apple could buy all of what's left of Sun for the profits they raked in last quarter alone. Amazing how much can change in little more than ten years!

ChrisA
Jan 30, 2009, 01:32 PM
The Sun takeover rumors persisted for quite awhile during the 1996-97 timeframe. Contrary to what the article suggests, I don't know how anxious Apple's board was to make this happen, though, and Sun never did make a truly serious offer. Today, Apple could buy all of what's left of Sun for the profits they raked in last quarter alone. Amazing how much can change in little more than ten years!

I'd really like to see that happen too. The two companies complement each other. Apple's Mac server top of the line is about where Sun's line begins. Suns needs a way to get onto the desktop, Apple has that.

A Solaris based Mac OS X would be the best of both worlds. Much more robust and better performance then the BSD based Mac OS we have now. But on the other hand Apple seems to have already cherry picked bits out of Solaris Mac OS X already has both D-trace and ZFS.

I doubt one will buy the other ever. But there is room for working together. For example I'm really like to see Mac OS X on some truely high-end hardware. Sun has 64-core machines for sale and what about Apple re-selling Sun storage products. Sun has great disk array and SAN stuff.

IJ Reilly
Jan 30, 2009, 02:00 PM
I suspect that the Apple board discusses Sun as a takeover target from time to time. The only way it makes sense is if Sun's products could become more profitable combined with Apple's product line in some way. Otherwise they are just inheriting a struggling company generating little or no profit. Investors would certainly frown on that, even if some of us would love the irony.

tbealmear
Jan 30, 2009, 02:09 PM
Lets see, in 1997 I would have been 12. I didn't even know that was a possibility. Hooray for Apple and BOO for Sun. They suck. ;)

Chobit
Jan 30, 2009, 03:17 PM
Lets see, in 1997 I would have been 12. I didn't even know that was a possibility. Hooray for Apple and BOO for Sun. They suck. ;)

I was 12 in 1997, too, but I actually remember this rumor -_- . I was a very geeky child.

Eric S.
Jan 30, 2009, 04:14 PM
Apple's Mac server top of the line is about where Sun's line begins. Suns needs a way to get onto the desktop, Apple has that.

Sun's original business was workstations. They have reinvented themselves as a server company. They don't want to be in the consumer desktop space.

Sun Baked
Jan 30, 2009, 04:17 PM
I recall some of the rumors like this, the one that really got me is when they said Disney was gonna buy Apple.

Funny thing was Steve Jobs finally ended up with the lions share of Disney stock.

JNB
Jan 30, 2009, 04:39 PM
Funny thing was Steve Jobs finally ended up with the lions share of Disney stock.

Well, he's the single largest individual shareholder, but that still ends up being only something like 7% of the total. Interestingly, he receives absolutely no compensation as a director (the only one to pass on it).

drlunanerd
Jan 30, 2009, 04:50 PM
and no Jonathan Ive to design anything.

Jony had been working at Apple for 4 years at that point so I'd imagine he'd have been kept on.
I remember the rumor at the time, how things change, ee bye eck lad ;)

IJ Reilly
Jan 30, 2009, 05:20 PM

Does that make him the real Lion King?

Sun Baked
Jan 30, 2009, 05:51 PM
Didn't say he was a big lion, maybe a little more like hungry bobcat.

He has been looking a little thin lately, so they better watch their hands.

IJ Reilly
Jan 30, 2009, 06:09 PM
Of course whenever he opens his mouth, somebody will say he's lion.