Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to the meta-description embedded in the HP Music Site, HP should start shipping iTunes pre-installed HPs by the end of this month:

The [iTunes] icon will start shipping pre-loaded on Pavilion and Presario computers in late March and these pages will be the first landing site directed towards HP.com\music

The original announcement placed pre-installed iTunes shipments in "summer". No further word on availability of the HP-branded iPod, however.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
This is good news. I hope HP does a lot of advertising of this. Apple needs all the good consumer press it can get.

stoid

macrumors 601
Since Apple will be really really close to actually hitting that 100 million songs goal and make all these people trying to spin Apple's ass kickings out to be negative and failures eat their words. If this increased the downloads by only a half million a week... that could be all Apple needs to get to 100 million! That's a lot of tunes! :D

Viv

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2003
Normandy, France
stoid said:
Since Apple will be really really close to actually hitting that 100 million songs goal and make all these people trying to spin Apple's ass kickings out to be negative and failures eat their words. If this increased the downloads by only a half million a week... that could be all Apple needs to get to 100 million! That's a lot of tunes! :D

How many Pcees a week do HP sell? I wonder what the percentage of new pc users suddenly introduced to ITunes out of the box will be and who then press the buy button?

Yes ITunes has been availible to them for a while but they had to go and get it! now its in front of them will they use it? this should be really interesting.

Viv

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
HPod soon too?

I have to believe the HPod won't wait for summer, either. I don't see Apple waiting much beyond summer to release a 4th-G iPod, and that would make HP's "obsolete" surprisingly fast, if say the HPod comes out in July and the 4G in September.

Getting the HPods out now gives them a run before something better (including a new HPod very likely) comes out of Apple later this year.

And why wait? It's just blue paint :) I'd expect HP to wait only for their PCs to be pre-loaded, and then launch the HPod. (I'm curious to see the color in something OTHER than a bad video. A second color choice is no bad thing.)

Also note: the deal applies to Compaqs too--they too will be preloaded with iTunes. (Maybe not all at the same time.)

dabeatles

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2003
My guess is that they're preinstalling iTunes earlier than planned to make it easier for existing customers to buy an hPod when they come out.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
stoid said:

Currently Apple is at 50m songs sold at a current rate of 2.5m a week (i.e., there is growth still as that is 50m every 20 weeks, or 140m a year). Assume 3m a week for the next 6 weeks, and Apple will have sold nearly 70m songs by the time they said they wanted to sell 100m.

Still, that isn't too bad. Especially since there is that 100m Pepsi song promotion that might have cost quite a few sales that would have happened otherwise.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Don't forget that Apple isn't giving away those Pepsi songs--they ARE sales. Pepsi pays Apple for them.

machan

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
wisconsin
nagromme said:
Don't forget that Apple isn't giving away those Pepsi songs--they ARE sales. Pepsi pays Apple for them.

also, the 50 million figure does not include any of the pepsi song numbers....i expect they will save that for april 28th to show how far they exceeded 100 million songs. my guess is they will get about 105 million songs by then, everything included.

bella716

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2004
How to

I just bought some iTunes and I can't burn to a disc...help...

Macrumors said:
According to the meta-description embedded in the HP Music Site, HP should start shipping iTunes pre-installed HPs by the end of this month:

The original announcement placed pre-installed iTunes shipments in "summer". No further word on availability of the HP-branded iPod, however.

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
bella716 said:
I just bought some iTunes and I can't burn to a disc...help...

Put the songs you want to burn into a playlist, go to your preferences, choose audio CD, then go to your playlist and go to the top right of the window. There will be a circle with BURN underneight it. Click the circle and it'll burn.

bella716

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2004
Thanks!!!

the_mole1314 said:
Put the songs you want to burn into a playlist, go to your preferences, choose audio CD, then go to your playlist and go to the top right of the window. There will be a circle with BURN underneight it. Click the circle and it'll burn.

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
Connections to European Music Store?

I wonder if this will have a connection to a European Music Store launch too?

Hp is much further international reaching business than Apple and I suspect that HP's export system is much more streamlined.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Hattig said:
Currently Apple is at 50m songs sold at a current rate of 2.5m a week (i.e., there is growth still as that is 50m every 20 weeks, or 140m a year). Assume 3m a week for the next 6 weeks, and Apple will have sold nearly 70m songs by the time they said they wanted to sell 100m.

Still, that isn't too bad. Especially since there is that 100m Pepsi song promotion that might have cost quite a few sales that would have happened otherwise.

Steve Jobs stated that the 100 Million in sales by iTMS anniversary would included the Pepsi promotion.

With a pepsi redemption rate of 33% Apple hits the 100 million pretty easy. I know I might have like 50 bottle caps redeemed by them. I'm tilting bottles like mad!

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Dont Hurt Me said:
Apple should make ilife for windows, it would be a big hit and apple could pull in all kinds of revenue.

revenue perhaps, but no profit. 50 bucks for all those apps isn't much, considering the R&D, testing and programming needed to port the programs to windows and support the myriad of configurations out there. Apple doesn't make a dime on iLife in all likelihood. and there are plenty of PC programs out there that do the same thing. Maybe not as well, but they are there and often preinstalled, so whats the point.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
if apple made ilife for pc's it would have to cost a LOT more than $50 thats for sure, one of the reasons we pay a high price for macs is for the software. with whats included in ilife pc users should pay as much as $200+ at the least!

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I think they could sell it for $99.00 and make a nice profit and they would be able to sell a lot of them. does windows xp home or professional come with anything like the ilife apps?

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
Not correct

howard said:
if apple made ilife for pc's it would have to cost a LOT more than $50 thats for sure, one of the reasons we pay a high price for macs is for the software. with whats included in ilife pc users should pay as much as $200+ at the least!

In fact; you pay below cost for software included on Macs. Remember, Macs are made by the same company that makes the OS.

In my eye, you pay for:

1) Quality
2) To keep Apple in business - they have the highest profit margin of ANYONE in the tech industry at 27.5% average
3) You pay for longevity vs other offerings

Why would you "want to keep Apple in business"? - it sounds silly, but you know the answer.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
nuckinfutz said:
Steve Jobs stated that the 100 Million in sales by iTMS anniversary would included the Pepsi promotion.

With a pepsi redemption rate of 33% Apple hits the 100 million pretty easy. I know I might have like 50 bottle caps redeemed by them. I'm tilting bottles like mad!

Interestingly, everybody interprets Steve's words (... but what if that still doesn't get us to 100 million songs? What are we gonna do? Well, we're gonna do a third thing. We're gonna give away 100 million songs.) the same way. To me it is not at all clear want he meant, you could as well interpret these words as, 'we gonna give away 100 million songs, and that will create enough publicity and new customers so that we can achieve the goal of selling 100 million songs'. I'm not saying the first interpretation is wrong, you simply can't say for sure what he had in mind or whether he deliberatly did not state clearly whether the Pepsi songs would be part of the 100 million goal.

aftk2

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Pacific NW
machan said:
also, the 50 million figure does not include any of the pepsi song numbers....i expect they will save that for april 28th to show how far they exceeded 100 million songs. my guess is they will get about 105 million songs by then, everything included.

I applaud your optimism, but it looks like Jobs doesn't think it'll happen. :(

Trimix

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Switzerland
manu chao said:
Interestingly, everybody interprets Steve's words (... but what if that still doesn't get us to 100 million songs? What are we gonna do? Well, we're gonna do a third thing. We're gonna give away 100 million songs.) the same way. To me it is not at all clear want he meant, you could as well interpret these words as, 'we gonna give away 100 million songs, and that will create enough publicity and new customers so that we can achieve the goal of selling 100 million songs'. I'm not saying the first interpretation is wrong, you simply can't say for sure what he had in mind or whether he deliberatly did not state clearly whether the Pepsi songs would be part of the 100 million goal.

how about if apple take some of their cash and buy 50 million songs themselves ? They get what, 20cents on the dollar or so ? They will reach 100 million, and the advertisement will have cost them approx 40 million - cheap advertisement if you ask me, to leave all the other services in the dust :)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
aftk2 said:
I applaud your optimism, but it looks like Jobs doesn't think it'll happen. :(

We still have the good news of HP pre-installing iTunes, it will be a great world wide effort.

Maybe Steve is downplaying expectations, so that if the goal is reached it will look even more spectacular. We just need more bottle tilters and redeemers. Still have a month and a half to reach the 100 million mark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.