PDA

View Full Version : Sync and Backup...What's the Difference Please?

Boxheed
Jan 30, 2009, 06:10 PM
Hey now! Quick question......I'm new to this iPhone stuff and I'm curious, what is the difference EXACTLY between a sync and a backup? My iPhone automatically syncs everytime I plug it into the PC. But I notice if I right click on my iPhone icon under devices in iTunes there is a Backup option. My phone is jailbroken and I'm thinking about upating to 2.2.1 and I don't want to lose any apps, contacts, info, etc. Please SPECIFICALLY tell me as if you were talking to a six year old! Thanks!

Drewsky87
Jan 31, 2009, 01:07 AM
It's just like it sounds, Backup will create a backup of all the data on your iPhone (like a restoration point in case something were to happen to it) and Sync will synchronize your iPhone to your Mac or PC (ie. make everything match such as iTunes library, contacts, calendar, apps, photos, etc.. For some of these you need to specify within iTunes whether or not you would like to sync them).

There should be a check box that you can uncheck under your iPhone settings in iTunes (while the phone is plugged in) that will stop your iPhone from syncing automatically when it's plugged in if you wish to do so.

As for updating to 2.2.1, you will not lose anything except for those apps which require jailbreaking (such as Cycorder) since updating your iPhone will un-jailbreak it. All of your contacts and information will still be there just like before. I think iTunes actually backs up your iPhone before starting the update process anyways just as a precaution.