Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guyute

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Iowa
I have a problem with my router not recognizing my new dp 1.8 g5 when it wakes from sleep. This also can happen when I simply restart the computer. If I shut everything down, unplug and reset the router and then power back up I have no issues. I am wondering if anyone has the same problem and also what router should I replace mine with.

btw: router-microsoft broadband router.

Thanks in advance

mikepctp

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2003
just north of Toronto, Canada
I run a "LinkSys NR041 Network Everywhere" 4 port router with a Netgear auto uplink switched hub off one of the ports. This all connects effortlessly to a 3000KPS cable modem feed. I have 4 PC's and my Mac on the network and have never had a problem with the Mac. The kids are constantly messing with "DMZ ports" for gaming (2 on Counterstrike at the same time) and mess up the PC side but ol' bessie here never quits.

I am guessing that anything that says Microsoft should be avoided... :D

My router is not of the wireless type. I don't want to share my network (or my wife). :cool:

MP

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
MS?

Oh no, now you have done it. Ok, I would say that its a router problem, because I don't know of any routers that lose the dhcp tables. Check the settings in the router to make sure that there is nothing that states that when a computer is gone for so long, or once it disconnects, it is removed from the dhcp table. Also check and make sure you network settings match what is needed to get a address from the router. It might be possible that a static IP address could be used if the router gives you the same address everytime. When you buy something like this and it is made by MS, it is only going to work correctly with a MS OS (Windows). Maybe look into an new router, DLink, Linksys, maybe get one with wireless built in for when you might need it.

mikepctp

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2003
just north of Toronto, Canada
Oh ya, forgot to mention...

The LinkSys router cost me about $80.00 Canadian (that's about $5.99 US I think) and we had a DLink before that was problematic on the PC side even more than the LinkSys is of late.

The DLink had a port limitation that really affected the gaming. IF you have a "mixed network" like I do and the PC's are gamers... get the LinkSys.

IMHO anyhow...

MP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.