PDA

View Full Version : iPhone users report sync problems after 2.2.1 update

MacBytes
Jan 31, 2009, 08:42 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Software
Link: iPhone users report sync problems after 2.2.1 update (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090131094231)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Kilamite
Jan 31, 2009, 09:03 AM
No problems here..

Pedromiguel20
Jan 31, 2009, 09:17 AM
Problem indeed but it seems that it's been resolved by a restart of my computer and my iphone. The computer was saying that "Computer is not allowed to sync" and i had the choice of "override" or "ok" - but after it still synced

dwd3885
Jan 31, 2009, 10:02 AM
this is dumb. some people have problems and always have problems with their iphone. so you'll get the same, "problems syncing after 2.3, 2.4, 3.0, etc"

If it's a problem as simple as restarting the iPhone and the computer, then it isn't really a problem.

Read it and move on..

WPB2
Jan 31, 2009, 10:04 AM
My sync's are taking considerable longer than on 2.2 ~2 minutes compared to less than 1 minute. I have noticed that on 2.1 the syncs were alot faster ~10 seconds.

ttopp
Jan 31, 2009, 10:35 AM
no problems for me.

and they have finally fixed the safari crash problem :)

i couldnt look at more than 10 pages without it crashing :( but the last firmware has fixed it not one crash yet :) WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO

well chuffed! for me the iphone is now what it claimed to be still a few features id like

bluetooth file transfer
a flash
video recording

still im happy its now as it should b:)

true777
Jan 31, 2009, 10:35 AM
My iPhone froze during the "preparing iPhone" stage of the update and would not restart anymore -- it was stuck in the frozen state. I had to reset it to factory settings and then re-install all my files and my software on it, it was awful.

cwwilson
Jan 31, 2009, 10:40 AM
I haven't updated my iPhone yet because I've read lots of horror stories about this update. :(

MacTheSpoon
Jan 31, 2009, 12:21 PM
I've synced it twice and no problems. 1st gen iPhone.

rhett7660
Jan 31, 2009, 02:23 PM
I've synced it twice and no problems. 1st gen iPhone.

Same here... No problems. I would be interested to see if the problems are OS based.

Zeevi
Jan 31, 2009, 03:44 PM
Some users has serious problems. See the discussion here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1885983&tstart=0

It seems like the iTunes sync crash (EXC_BAD_ACCESS exception) issue is related to syncing DRM protected items (music, videos and apps), non DRM-ed items (photos, iTunes Plus or grabbed music) sync fine. It may be some kind of generic problem affecting users who installed the latest QuickTime and iTunes updates. The issue is not directly related to the iPhone 2.2.1 update, as iPhone users with 2.2.0 firmware and some iPod users are reportedly experiencing the same problems. Interestingly enough, the crash occurs both on the Mac and Windows version of iTunes.

Exact root causes are unknown, Apple is said to be working on it.

ingenious
Jan 31, 2009, 04:42 PM
no (serious) problems here with my 1st Gen 32 GB iPod touch...

Only issue i'm having is with Wi-Fi. Seems like it takes about four to fifteen seconds longer to connect to any networks, but that's a small price to pay.

Chris Blount
Jan 31, 2009, 06:08 PM
I started having this problem this morning. It's definitely an issue that needs to be resolved. Once it happens, your iPhone does not sync.

I would suggest to everyone to not mess with any DRM stuff until this is fixed. Once it happens, you can't do anything with iTunes when the iPhone is connected.

SFStateStudent
Jan 31, 2009, 06:23 PM
I've updated (3) iPhones to 2.2.1 w/o issue. Sorry to hear about others having sync problems...:(

Chris Blount
Jan 31, 2009, 06:41 PM
I've updated (3) iPhones to 2.2.1 w/o issue. Sorry to hear about others having sync problems...:(I upgraded to 2.2.1 the day it came out and the problem only started today. It's hard to tell when it will hit your phone.

SFStateStudent
Jan 31, 2009, 06:55 PM
I upgraded to 2.2.1 the day it came out and the problem only started today. It's hard to tell when it will hit your phone.

I hear ya' and I just synced and backed up as a test and it seems fine. I'll continue to check and post my results here...

tri3limited
Feb 1, 2009, 02:06 PM
I actually started having sync problems about a week ago, before updating and before installing Quicktime 7.6. I updated today and the problems persist.

It takes forever to sync and iTunes freezes, also i can no longer play tunes off of my iPhone. iPod freezes, goes black and crashes out.

Tried everything and no luck.

digiplay
Feb 1, 2009, 09:50 PM
I'm having the same problem, and it all started when I tried to delete a few playlists from my iPhone.

iTunes will sync for a little bit, and then crash. And album artwork started vanishing from my iPhone for whatever reason.
Apple better come up with a fix soon.

nagromme
Feb 1, 2009, 11:30 PM
No problems with 2.2.1 here, and no sync problems at all. But I DID see some missing album art a few weeks ago. Just a few black album images here and there. They returned to normal on their own though.

For those whose problems persist, I'd be tempted to recommend resetting the iPhone completely, from iTunes. (But I'm not sure I trust the backup system... I'd be hesitant to try if I didn't have to.)

Chris Blount
Feb 3, 2009, 07:33 AM
Apprently the following procedure has fixed the problem for a lot of people. I just tried it this morning and now my iPhone syncs everything including DRM content:

(1) Deauthorized the computer.
(2) Authorize the computer
(3) Go to iTunes Store in iTunes, purchased a FREE app
(4) Sync iPhone

Good luck!