Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esbandido1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Hey All,

I've got a weird situation and was wondering if anyone could help, though I wonder if it's something that shouldn't even be asked.

I bought a digital download version of COD 4 for Mac. Since then, I've had a few nightmares with my machine. I've had to reinstall my system several times - three time related to issues which lead to logic board replacement and a few more related to problems I was having with Office 2008 which still haven't been resolved.

Anyway, I've had to get a new serial number from them as you're limited to three installs with the download version. I've now reached that limit again and they were none to friendly when I contacted them for another new number in such a short period of time.

Now I've been a proper digital-type for a long time. I don't pirate software and I don't even rip music I haven't purchased. (Trust me I'm no boy scout it's just a karma thing for me.)

Basically I've made a big mistake in buying the digital version, especially since I'm the type of person who likes to completely wipe their computer every once in a while and rebuild everything fresh just to get ride of all the extraneous stuff that collects. So that part's on me.

But does anyone know how the license process works?

I know if I clone my drive then the game will play fine. But I can't drag all the related folders that I know of from my clone to my newly rebuilt latop and have it work which is what I really need. Does anyone know if there's a file or folder that will enable me to play the game on the same computer with the same license, just with a rebuilt system? Is it a hidden file?

This would be simply so I can rebuild my machine and then play the game that I've paid for.

esbandido1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
My guess is the install must have put something or altered something in my system files.

Anyone have any guess what it might be? Anyone?

aluminumapple

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
i baught the cod 4 digital as well on GameAgent.

but install of doing All that you have mentioned why dont you just burn the .dmg lol..?

than you basically have the copy of cod 4.

Or. just copy that one folder you really need thats called Call of Duty 4 Data and icons..?

esbandido1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
i baught the cod 4 digital as well on GameAgent.

but install of doing All that you have mentioned why dont you just burn the .dmg lol..?

than you basically have the copy of cod 4.

Or. just copy that one folder you really need thats called Call of Duty 4 Data and icons..?

I have burned the .dmg. The problem is that every time you reinstall it you subtract one authorization off your serial number. Now I'm all out of authorizations. I cannot reinstall from my .dmg without a new or reset serial number.

Does that make any sense?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I have burned the .dmg. The problem is that every time you reinstall it you subtract one authorization off your serial number. Now I'm all out of authorizations. I cannot reinstall from my .dmg without a new or reset serial number.

Does that make any sense?

something I know some people do on windows computers and something I considered doing when I did a fresh install on my XP computer was to make a ghost immaged of the OS drive after everything I want is installed. That way when I start fresh I started fresh after everything is installed.

This would help you out if you can do something like that because you get a clean slate with out having to go though all the hope of a clean installed.

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
There should be some sort of license file, if you still have the files from your old computer. In preferences, application support? Can't say I know exactly where it would be though.

aluminumapple

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
i just logged into my account and saw my invoice and etc and i read up upon the downloading services.

your able to download up to 2 years and as many times as you want within that period so i dont get how you can only download yours 4 times.

Lunchbox700

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
MN
He didn't say that you can only download 4 times he said you can only use the serial number a certain number of times before you have to get a new one from them. Part of the problem with digital media rights

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm really glad Steam games don't have this problem. And if these other half-arsed services want to compete they need to match the Steam service...

Other than that I don't know what to do. In most cases you have to ring up the publishers and get the installs back, at least with Spore and such.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Pull up the Terms of Service and EULA docs from the website you downloaded from, and find out what their written policy is on the matter. If it doesn't say explicitly that a second re-issuance of the serial number is against policy, then it's not. Remind the CSR of this, and if they disagree with you ask to speak to a manager.

While they might be hesitant to grant you a second license, they are required to unless their policy states otherwise. This is clearly a grey area and in such situations, written policy is boss.

esbandido1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
For those of you who recommend downloading again - aluminumapple - it's not the downloading that is the problem. As another person pointed out, when you install the game it has to verify your serial number and this is the process that is limited. Your serial number can only be verified/activated three times. I have my .dmg file backed up as I mentioned before but that solves nothing. If you ever have to reinstall with a fresh OS or system installed you then subtract from what's available with your serial number.

I do have a clone of my computer but the problem is that because of issues I'm having with Microsoft Office 2008, they're telling me I need to do a clean install of my system software. If I use my clone I'll be bringing over files that they suspect are giving me problems. I've had so many hardware and other problems that I'm already on my second serial number and on my last activation with that one.

As bmb012 mentioned, I'm sure there's a license file somewhere I just can't find it. I've looked through application support and preferences and just haven't been able to track it down. I suspect it's an invisible file or whatnot. Also suspect it's on the system level because I can play the game under another user.

Boy have I learned my lesson. I'll be buying the DVD version of a game if available from now on...

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I may not be very popular for making this suggestion, but clearly you've bought a legal file, which you are now unable to use.

You've gone to the company, and they gave you one more chance, then gave you the runaround.

Have you considered getting a pirate version and running that? (cough) piratebay (cough)

You do hold a legal licence to own and play that game file. If karma bothers you, turn off uploading in your p2p client, so that others cannot download from you, but spare a thought for those who have helped you out by creating, unpaid, a cracked copy for you. Donate some money to the EFF or Project Gutenberg or Wiki or something.

x RT x

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I may not be very popular for making this suggestion, but clearly you've bought a legal file, which you are now unable to use.

You've gone to the company, and they gave you one more chance, then gave you the runaround.

Have you considered getting a pirate version and running that? (cough) piratebay (cough)

You do hold a legal licence to own and play that game file. If karma bothers you, turn off uploading in your p2p client, so that others cannot download from you, but spare a thought for those who have helped you out by creating, unpaid, a cracked copy for you. Donate some money to the EFF or Project Gutenberg or Wiki or something.

x RT x

I agree with this, but I think a big problem would maybe be playing online? Usually pirated software does not allow playing online, thus nearly worthless for CoD4 (IMO), but I don't know how Mac is like.. is there a serial for Mac versions when purchased retail? DRM sucks and a 3 install limit is horrible. Steam is the way to go but I know this doesn't help.

esbandido1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Cool. These are options I need to consider. Maybe I can still figure out what the game is installing in my system or wherever so I can deal with it that way.

If anyone else has any thoughts, thanks again.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I agree with this, but I think a big problem would maybe be playing online? Usually pirated software does not allow playing online, thus nearly worthless for CoD4

You would probably have the same problem with the DVD version. You buy the disks, and they install a game that then needs to be activated online. Reinstall the game from disk, and you need a new activation. :( I don't know for sure, I'm just guessing.

Piratebay may or may not have some help with this.

The best suggestion was probably the person saying once you've installed it legally and got everything working, (and before installing any dodgy applications) make a clone of your drive. You can then wipe and reimage your drive at will in future. (till you buy a new, bigger drive anyway).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.