PDA

View Full Version : HP to Sell Linux-based PCs?

MacBytes
Mar 16, 2004, 11:40 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: HP to Sell Linux-based PCs? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040316124011)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Photorun
Mar 16, 2004, 12:18 PM
Woot! Rockin'! I feel a momentum slide away from Microsuck! Wow... pinch me, I'm dreaming! Pretty soon it'll just be that little close-eyed d*** Michael Dull and his lackluster wear supporting M$! :D

winmacguy
Mar 16, 2004, 01:03 PM
WOOOW! HP! selling Linux based PCs to the HUGE Chinese market, that has to start hitting Microsoft in the pocket. Look out for Microsofts sales and revenue to continue to slide and sharevalue to start dropping in the not to distant future as reports of their earnings start to drop!

ALoLA
Mar 16, 2004, 01:19 PM
Looks like HP is definitely coming around. :) But don't expect M$ to sit idly by. The dirt is really going to fly now.

1macker1
Mar 16, 2004, 02:26 PM
Linux isn't ready for widespread consumer use.

Nermal
Mar 16, 2004, 03:16 PM
Naturally, they're using Mandrake, the worst mainstream distro out there :(

Edit: Now that I've actually read the article, I see that they're talking about Asia. They're using Turbolinux in Asia.

winmacguy
Mar 16, 2004, 05:41 PM
If Apple ported iTunes to Linux they could continue to increase market share care of HP.

Capt Underpants
Mar 16, 2004, 05:43 PM
Woot! Rockin'! I feel a momentum slide away from Microsuck! Wow... pinch me, I'm dreaming! Pretty soon it'll just be that little close-eyed d*** Michael Dull and his lackluster wear supporting M$! :D

Dell already sells PCs with no operating system..... Mind you, they don't have linux, but atleast there's no MS on them.

Sabenth
Mar 16, 2004, 06:25 PM
whats wrong with Mandrake Linux granted its not great but its still better than slapping MS Stickers all over the pc case :D

thewickedmusic
Mar 16, 2004, 06:48 PM
With this "new" (kinda oldish now) deal with apple making an HP branded iPod wouldn't it make since that if HP switches to Linux Apple will design a version of iTunes and the ITMS for Linux? That would make this partnership a win win win win situation for Apple and HP. HP gets the best music player with its name engraved on it. Apple gets HP's large user base to get its name out and creates Linux support for iTunes and iTms, thus creating an even LARGER possible user base for ITMS and establishing AAC as standuard. (Because you know that Microsoft wouldn't likely design a music program for Linux)

Sorry for any spelling or grammer mistakes I have never been a gifted writer ;) :D

zamyatin
Mar 17, 2004, 12:05 AM
Well done! Our long struggle is beginning to make headway. Next I would like to see HP pre-installing OpenOffice on both their Linux and Wintel boxes. With HP holding around 30% of the global market, this could start the avalanche. It's a two-front contest, and progress on either side supports the other and brings us closer to freedom.

iMeowbot
Mar 17, 2004, 02:03 AM
HP have been offering Compaq PCs with Linux installed for some time now...

Nermal
Mar 17, 2004, 03:12 AM
Correct, but they haven't really been promoting them - unless you specifically knew about them, you wouldn't be able to tell.