Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Okay, so I am experiencing something very strange. My macbook wont go to sleep. When I shut the lid, or even click sleep from the menu, the screen and fans shut down, and it appears as it is going to sleep. The indicator light just starts to dim, then you hear the cd drive give a little noise (as if you are turning it on) and goes to the login screen.

What would be causing this? I haven't changed any settings recently, so I don't know what it could be.

Thanks for any insight.

hocR

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
Hey,

I had the same issue and I read about the SMC reset. But one of their first suggestions were to restart your macbook. That actually fixed the issue for me! You might want to give it a shot if you have not already. Maybe leaving the laptop on for weeks had something to do with it..? I just left it in sleep all the time and never shut it down.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Try booting it with the shift key down to see if it still happens. It could be something loading at startup. It could be so many things. Try uninstalling anything that's a hack of the OS, and anything that's downloading regularly from the internet. Also, Start up Console and have a look to see what's happening there. Are you getting errors? You can try to do an archive install, which might fix the issue. It will bring you back to the version on your install disk but will keep all your other files in tact. Also try to create a new profile and see if it still happens. It's probably a badly written piece of software. Apple should really prevent programs from taking over sleep and crapping it out. I had a problem with sleep and Mozy.

wiley17

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
I had an issue with Firefox 3.0 and macbook not sleeping. If you are running that, try quitting and see if that helps it.

hocR

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
btw - had the issue with FireFox 3 too.. I resolved it with this work around..

It is a work-around, but it seems to work without altering the functionality of the software.

1) Open a new Firefox windows.
2) In the address line type: about:config
3) Click 'I´ll be careful, I promise!'
4) Type in the filter: places.frecency.updateIdleTime
5) Change the value from 6000 to 0

That should do the trick.

Basically Firefox is updating something every 6000 milliseconds, which obviously prevents the machine from sleeping. When you set it to 0, it doesn't update, whatever 'it' is. However, this doesn't seem to cause any unwanted effects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.